Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help Pike fishing

Options
  • 26-07-2015 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi, I've been fishing for pike for 2 years now and I'm looking to start catching bigger pike. Most of the pike I've been catching are small (between 4 and 10 pounds) and I've only caught one fish over 10lb. I don't know whether it's the lures or baits I'm using or if I'm fishing at a bad time of the day or during a bad type of weather, if I'm fishing during the wrong season or if I'm just in a bad spot. I fish the river Liffey at Lucan from Catherine's park to the Hermitage golf course, I rarely fish at the Dam in liexlip and I also fish on the canal in liexlip and maynooth. I am going to Lough Ree for a week on the 10th of August so if anyone could spare a few minutes to give me some tips and spots that would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

I've been having great success with big pike on a flying C spinner this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

good morning.
    Are you fishing from a boat, and will you be alone? I ask that because Ree can be a very dangerous place (actually, all of our big loughs are dangerous) if the weather changes, and you are out on a boat.
    If its your first time on Ree, id suggest try and organise a gillie for a day or two at the start of your trip, it could be the best money you will spend, as you will learn so much about locations, and what techniques are working.
    list of them here http://www.fishinginireland.info/guides/westmeath.htm

if you are relatively new to pike fishing and want to catch a good double, then you have a great chance in Lough Ree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Ive fished most of them places uve mentioned and the biggest pike ive got is also around 10 lb. I jus dont think theres that much big pike in them areas alto the odd big one pops up now and again in one of the places youve mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Ive fished most of them places uve mentioned and the biggest pike ive got is also around 10 lb. I jus dont think theres that much big pike in them areas alto the odd big one pops up now and again in one of the places youve mentioned.

Plenty of monster like out there but need to know where they are. Read more into pike fishing and learn about spots to look for where big pike will be sitting. Also big pike are weary fish and won't go for a dead bait just because it's there. Presentation is key to big pike and they're also quite lazy so for them to show interest in lures the technique needs to be perfect to entice them to hit the lure. They won't waste energy if it's not looking like a proper wounded fish

Plenty of monster like out there but need to know where they are. Read more into pike fishing and learn about spots to look for where big pike will be sitting. Also big pike are weary fish and won't go for a dead bait just because it's there. Presentation is key to big pike and they're also quite lazy so for them to show interest in lures the technique needs to be perfect to entice them to hit the lure. They won't waste energy if it's not looking like a proper wounded fish

I always thought that Pike were lazy and won't chase lures, mostly from the internet but I've found the complete opposite, they are mad for spinners. We caught over 20 of them in 2 days with a flying c salmon spinner. 5 of them were doubles.

• Advertisement

ComfortKid wrote: »
    I always thought that Pike were lazy and won't chase lures, mostly from the internet but I've found the complete opposite, they are mad for spinners. We caught over 20 of them in 2 days with a flying c salmon spinner. 5 of them were doubles.

ye ive caught loads on spinners, but i seem to get the bigger ones on deadbaits, jus dont get caught using a flying c on the liffey.

ye ive caught loads on spinners, but i seem to get the bigger ones on deadbaits, jus dont get caught using a flying c on the liffey.

Where would troll your deadbait? What dept, near the bank or out in the open? I'm catching lots of doubles but nowhere near the 20lb monster I'm after. I think dead baiting is much more difficult to master? I haven't caught any ever but I must be doing something wrong.

Where would troll your deadbait? What dept, near the bank or out in the open? I'm catching lots of doubles but nowhere near the 20lb monster I'm after. I think dead baiting is much more difficult to master? I haven't caught any ever but I must be doing something wrong.
    You need to know your area well.
    Eg. If your dead baiting and there's a lot of weed your dead bait will sink into it and make it harder for pike to see it. They'll smell it alri but it's a lot easier to catch a pike attention if he sees it. So a stick float or foam stuck into the baits mouth to the stomach wll pop it up from the weed.

deadbaitings easy enough jus make sure its on the bottom it can be popped up too, ive only done it on canals tho...use your float as a guide to make sure its on the bottom. make sure you use a weight above wire trace to sink ur bait.Jus set ur depth to how deep u think is, cast out and if ur floats lyin flat on the surface ur baits on the bottom, but then u could be over depth,so bring ur stop knot in closer to the float n try it again. dont have it too over depth or the pike will swallow ur bait.Ive caught pike on deadbaits not on the bottom too, jus keepin it 2 r 3 feet off the bottom and lettin the current drift the bait but id also twitch the bait every now and again, Wobbling a small roach r smelt is highly effective too.. i hope that can help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Ree can be a tough nut to crack. Especially for the bigger fish. I have done best on it drifting deads just off the bottom to find fish and then static deads when you find the hot spots. This time of year the bigger fish will probably be in deeper water. I would look for around twenty feet or so close to drop offs. You will catch smaller fish in the inner lakes or along the margins with lures. Some good trout show up too

It's best fished with a boat. Good launching facilities at hodson bay.

• Advertisement

static deadbaiting is much more productive in the winter, presentation is easier too, and you done have as much weed to worry about either. wobbling/sink and draw can be good in the summer months, I personally prefer lure fishing in the summer though. That being said, I don't do much piking in the summer, just the odd lure session.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pikeman99

Thanks for all the replies, I'm 15 and will be fishing with my mates who haven't a clue what they are doing as I'm the only one who goes fishing a lot out of us, we won't be fishing from a boat, we will be fishing on a part of lough ree from the bank. The place where we will be camping is in Ballykeeran, went there last year and lost a few doubles due to weak line and drag set to tight. (Inexperienced back then 😂) aiming to deadbait at night and lure fish during the day. I use savage gear soft 4play 13cm lures on the Liffey and having success with the smaller pike. Won't be out on a boat or anything like that but aim to catch those monsters I lost last year, lost a good double, might have been at least 20lb, it broke 20lb line as the drag was set too tight but the size of the fish shocked me and it was leaping out of the water, got obsessed with catching the fish for the remainder of the stay and managed to lose a few more good fish and catch a 2/3lb eel. Hoping to catch the fish I lost last year with my new knowledge haha. Anyone ever fished Leixlip Dam for Pike or fished the part of Lough Ree I'm talking about?

pikeman99 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies, I'm 15 and will be fishing with my mates who haven't a clue what they are doing as I'm the only one who goes fishing a lot out of us, we won't be fishing from a boat, we will be fishing on a part of lough ree from the bank. The place where we will be camping is in Ballykeeran, went there last year and lost a few doubles due to weak line and drag set to tight. (Inexperienced back then 😂) aiming to deadbait at night and lure fish during the day. I use savage gear soft 4play 13cm lures on the Liffey and having success with the smaller pike. Won't be out on a boat or anything like that but aim to catch those monsters I lost last year, lost a good double, might have been at least 20lb, it broke 20lb line as the drag was set too tight but the size of the fish shocked me and it was leaping out of the water, got obsessed with catching the fish for the remainder of the stay and managed to lose a few more good fish and catch a 2/3lb eel. Hoping to catch the fish I lost last year with my new knowledge haha. Anyone ever fished Leixlip Dam for Pike or fished the part of Lough Ree I'm talking about?

Make sure your line is well heavy enough this year. If a pike takes a deadbait with trebles and the line breaks its very often a death sentence for the fish. Your gear needs to be up to it.

Was fishing today in lucan demesne caught nothing all day the switched to a silver wobbler with a red head and straight away hooked into a good double, was using too light a rod and when it ran it snapped the rod, got the fish to the bank only for it to get away as I tried to net it. The rod I was using i only meant to catch perch on it bus had a feeling there was pike in the area. Bad decision putting on that wobbler but the fight was fantastic on the light rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

I know your only 15 but please get all your gear 100% right for the job before you get yourself back pike fishing

I know your only 15 but please get all your gear 100% right for the job before you get yourself back pike fishing
    I was using my perch rod it wasn't up for the big pike I should have brought my heavier spinner rod, I was using 20lb braid it was only the rod that wasn't up for it, big mistake.

Just a friendly suggestion. I would be a bit cautious about posting the names of places where you are catching or connecting with double figure pike.

Boards is a very public forum with a big user base and some of the places you have mentioned already are under pressure from the wrong type of angler. If it were me I would lessen the chances of the pike I want to catch going home in the back of some guys car and would keep it a bit more anonymous. You might be better served asking more general questions and requesting a response by PM. Not many people would be comfortable with posting venue details on the main forum.

Anyway, if you snapped a rod it may have had a flaw in the blank somewhere anyway. Or else you had the drag too tight. Don't forget its barbless single hooks only on the liffey due to the salmon bye laws.

It wasn't the drag, the fish was running and running then i don't know how but the rod snapped when it ran, it was a very very light rod.

It wasn't the drag, the fish was running and running then i don't know how but the rod snapped when it ran, it was a very very light rod.

Knot on your spool and bang either snappe line or rod.
    Or your drag wasn't set right
    It's either of them

Knot on your spool and bang either snappe line or rod.
    Or your drag wasn't set right
    It's either of them
    It was a very very light rod, I know it wasn't the drag because the fish was able to run a lot. The line was 20lb braid, the line never broke and the fish escaped

• Advertisement

It was a very very light rod, I know it wasn't the drag because the fish was able to run a lot. The line was 20lb braid, the line never broke and the fish escaped

As I said if there was a knot in you line at the spool it'd stop the drag and cause the line to snap the rod. 20lb braid on a very very light rod is kind of pointless. 20lb braid is what I'd use for pike not for perch.
    I only use 10lb mono for spinning for pike and 18lb mono for dead baiting. Won't lose any fish if they're played properly

I use 20lbs braid for lighter lure fishing, drop shotting and jig fishing for perch. I don't think it's pointless. Depends on your set up and what you are trying to achieve.

I use minimum 30lbs braid for light pike spinning. 10lbs mono is far too light for anything pike related IMO. 10lbs line won't turn a twenty pound pike heading for a snag.

Bio Mech wrote: »
    10lbs line won't turn a twenty pound pike heading for a snag.

also, if your lure gets snagged, its not going to come out! with the cost of some lures these days, you need to make sure you will get them back.
    I haven't used mono for spinning in years, much prefer braid as you are in direct contact with the lure and can feel every movement it makes. also, when using large jerk baits at distance, all of the energy from the rod sweep gets to the lure, and is not lost in the stretch of the mono. I still have mono on 2 of my dead baiting reels, the rest have braid. Braid is great for float fishing, as it floats be default, its ideal for drifter floats, although I hardly ever get to use the drifter!

also, if your lure gets snagged, its not going to come out! with the cost of some lures these days, you need to make sure you will get them back.
    I haven't used mono for spinning in years, much prefer braid as you are in direct contact with the lure and can feel every movement it makes. also, when using large jerk baits at distance, all of the energy from the rod sweep gets to the lure, and is not lost in the stretch of the mono. I still have mono on 2 of my dead baiting reels, the rest have braid. Braid is great for float fishing, as it floats be default, its ideal for drifter floats, although I hardly ever get to use the drifter!

Fully agree. When jerkbaiting you really want your hooks to be the weakest point. Generally when pike fishing I like to have my hooks bend out before anything else goes.

It could have been a knot in the reel, but I'm not looking for explainations as to why the rod broke I'm looking for tips for pike fishing. ie. best times to fish on lakes, rivers, canals. Best lures to use and when to use them. Any spots around my area that might be good. Best ways of retrieving lures.
    Thanks

the best advice i can give you is to get out on the bank as much as u can and see wat works for you... bring six or 7 different type of lures with you and try them all, try varying ur retrieve, jerk the lure etc... Ive caught pike at all times of the day spinning... If i was goin down the liffey i probably wobble a small smelt.. id fish it up along sides sinking and drawing it, close to trees or lily pads.. you'd be surprised how close u could be standing near to a pike, ive lost count of how many times ive seen pike darting out of lilys or weeds jus as im bringin in the lure, its an amazing sight. get urself a pair of polaroid glasses they're essential if ur spinning, ull see way more under the water. You'll catch pike on most lures, i like using savage gear soft 4 plays, Lure anglings all about finding wat works best you. if the waters very clear ill use a more natural lure, if its a bit murkier i might use a firetiger coloured lure that stands out more. Spinning a pain in the arse in canals during the summer cos its so over grown. Most people keep spots to themselves nowadays unless you know them... if u meet anglers on the bank, stop and have a chat with them, they might let u on to spot thats fishing well.

the best advice i can give you is to get out on the bank as much as u can and see wat works for you... bring six or 7 different type of lures with you and try them all, try varying ur retrieve, jerk the lure etc... Ive caught pike at all times of the day spinning... If i was goin down the liffey i probably wobble a small smelt.. id fish it up along sides sinking and drawing it, close to trees or lily pads.. you'd be surprised how close u could be standing near to a pike, ive lost count of how many times ive seen pike darting out of lilys or weeds jus as im bringin in the lure, its an amazing sight. get urself a pair of polaroid glasses they're essential if ur spinning, ull see way more under the water. You'll catch pike on most lures, i like using savage gear soft 4 plays, Lure anglings all about finding wat works best you. if the waters very clear ill use a more natural lure, if its a bit murkier i might use a firetiger coloured lure that stands out more. Spinning a pain in the arse in canals during the summer cos its so over grown. Most people keep spots to themselves nowadays unless you know them... if u meet anglers on the bank, stop and have a chat with them, they might let u on to spot thats fishing well.

Great advice there lad.
    I've caught pike in hottest of days in mid day. If a pike is cruising and sees a dead bait or a lure it'll show interest.
    I caught a 15lb pike 3 year ago in blessington at 3 o'clock ish with a floating smelt no more than 15 feet from the bank.
    If it's presented well and looks realistic a pike won't resist it
    They're not your average dum fish. Look on YouTube of underwater Ireland and he has videos of underwater activity of using dead baits and lures and how pike approach them. They're a lot more suspicious if dead fish than you think.

Great advice there lad. I've caught pike in hottest of days in mid day. If a pike is cruising and sees a dead bait or a lure it'll show interest. I caught a 15lb pike 3 year ago in blessington at 3 o'clock ish with a floating smelt no more than 15 feet from the bank. If it's presented well and looks realistic a pike won't resist it They're not your average dum fish. Look on YouTube of underwater Ireland and he has videos of underwater activity of using dead baits and lures and how pike approach them. They're a lot more suspicious if dead fish than you think.

Them underwater Ireland videos are brilliant aren't they. It's mad how much they check out a dead fish but if a lure flys past they'll bang it instantly.

get urself a pair of polaroid glasses they're essential if ur spinning, ull see way more under the water.

if you only take one bit of advice from kildare lad's post, take that one! you can see your lures action in the water, and see how different retrieves effect the lure. Also, you will see follows and pike attacking the lure if its in close enough. I wear polaroids the whole time when fishing, not just lure fishing. They take the glare off the water, and makes fishing more comfortable.

• Advertisement

Them underwater Ireland videos are brilliant aren't they. It's mad how much they check out a dead fish but if a lure flys past they'll bang it instantly.

Yeah they're brilliant vids and gets ya thinking. Your dead bait could be inches away from a massive 30lb+ fish and the fcuker loses interest :)

Advertisement