Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby wide awake at 3am

Options
  • 27-07-2015 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭

Morning all,

I've been awake since half 3 this morning as my young fella decided that he felt like chatting away to himself for an hour and a half this morning.

This has been going on the last 2 weeks and it seems to be sporadic, some times he wakes at 5 and all he needs is his soother, other times its like this and he wont sleep until ~5am.

Anyone have any advice, tips on what might be causing this? I've been reading online and a lot of people are saying its a developmental change and their brain is just all fired up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Its all very normal.
    A pain in the hole, but normal. I awoke at 02:00 one night/morning to the sound of my lads having great craic in the living room. It sounded like midday! My beloved went into them and told them to go to bed. And off they went! Surreal!

Maybe try shortening his afternoon naps, if he is still having them. Or go for a stroll with him a while before bed. Assuming he can walk?? I have no idea what age he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Our little man (13 months) had his best night in months on Saturday but made us pay for it last night !! He eventually settled about 4am and up and 7

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

all of mine woke and chatted to themselves at night but as they were never distressed so we just left them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My lad 6 months is doing this from about 4. Give him the soother twice and if he keeps it up we let him off chatting to himself in the cot.

He usually drifts back off himself in an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If they're not crying out, then I'd be inclined to leave them be. Once they kind of get to the toddler stage though you do need to tell them to go back to sleep. Our one woke at 5am on Saturday and then started playing games with her teddies in the cot. We knew if we didn't go in and tell her to go back to sleep, she'd end up calling out for us to let her go to the toilet, she'd stay up and by 10am she'd be exhausted (and so would we).

When she was younger, night waking was always accompanied by crying, and it was either because she was wet, hungry or teething. It did seem to come in waves though. You'd get two weeks of waking, then it would settle down again for a few months, and then another couple of weeks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

He woke again last night at half 3 on the button, cried once then chatted away to himself for a little bit and then nodded back off.

Thank god, i've never been so happy to get 7 hours sleep....

Advertisement