Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling the Wild Atlantic Way

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

Ah, understood, that makes sense.

After a bit of reading up on Audax it's pretty mind blowing. The event website indicates a 175 hours time limit for the 2100 km :eek:
    http://waw-audax.com/

A full solid week of 300km cycles.

Hardy souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

But that is pretty much an extreme event even for audax. We start easier with 200k events with 13.5 hours time limit. http://www.audaxireland.org

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Sorry to reinstate this dead thread, but I'm thinking of cycling some of this route later this year. I was only planning 3 or 4 days ending somewhere near Donegal, but can't figure out how to get me and my bike home.

The nearest train station seems to be in Sligo and I don't fancy my chances getting a bike on a bus (or leave it sliding around in the hold).

Are there any other options? I can't really ask family or friends to come and get me and as I'm planning to do it on my own, the usual solution of leaving a car at either end doesn't really work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I've put bikes on Bus Éireann busses several times, I bring zip-ties and pipe insulation.
    Put the insulation on the crossbar, and ziptie this to a strut in the hold of the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Works for me too. I carry a lock so use that instead of zipties. Try to load the bike on the Driver's side of the bus so it doesn't get luggage dumped on top of it.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks. I may try that. I didn't even know that you could do that.

It probably all depends upon which bike I choose to take. I was thinking of using my carbon cyclocross bike and I'd still be a bit precious about it, but maybe I'll take an older alu Trek 1000 that I wouldn't mind too much if it gets a little banged around.

Another thought was to end the ride at a bike shop, beg a box of them and then get a courier company such as Nightline to collect it, but I can't find any company that'll deal with a bike box sized parcel.

Now I've just been checking the TNT webpage and they seem to be offering to ship a boxed bike across country for €26.75, which seems like a deal.

They even offer next day delivery before 6pm, which probably means the bike will be home before me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vintage01

Planning to do the WAW as an extended Mizen to Malin. approx 1100km route in September.

Im currently considering bikes for the job. Looking for something that can carry a light load and cover a good few miles each day.

Any recommendations? Budget >€1000

Comfortable road bike that can take a rear carrier I think is what I am looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

PX London Road was the bike I was going to use this year (redundancy pushed back to winter now so it's on the long finger :( ) for almost exactly the same spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vintage01

Thats a nice looking bike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement