Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chit Chat- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Program about dairying on rte 1 just started now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Who does the other 6 milkings. How much did 250 cows cost . How much rent is he paying. Do the uncles work on farm. Are they paid for their time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I like success for people. Best of luck to him. Though attending Ag College and farming full time, ah please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Read the article ,massively impressed with him and his vision as a 23 year old ,who cares if he only milks 8 times a week ,dairy farming is way more than milking cows and physically working on the farm ,there's budgeting of grass and finances etc etc far more important ,
    On the cost issue its transparent enough if u read whole article ,34 cent is what it costs him to produce milk ,end of .my issue is the wuoting of the 22 cent ,really irks me and a major flaw of profit monitors ,Tegasc farmers journals,agriland articles etc etc .it gives a totally unrealistic picture of what it costs to produce milk .farmer works for nothing ,land is free and were debt free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

I wonder does he visit boards.ie?? He'll be laughing his head off reading thru some of the ****e that has been posted....

Anyways cows indoors tonight... Bad night here and going by forecast will get worse before it gets better.....

Out of curiosity have many of ye have zero grazers and what Ye're opinion on having one for occasions when there's bad weather??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Timmaay wrote: »
    Program about dairying on rte 1 just started now.

Well?

Cows were clean(ish!). :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I wonder does he visit boards.ie?? He'll be laughing his head off reading thru some of the ****e that has been posted....

Anyways cows indoors tonight... Bad night here and going by forecast will get worse before it gets better.....

Out of curiosity have many of ye have zero grazers and what Ye're opinion on having one for occasions when there's bad weather??

Contractor come in for 10 days or so in spring and backend ,no way would I buy one or like to be at it for chunks of the year

Feck!
    Didn't realise the weather has been that bad.
    Zerograzers are the work of the devil (:))....tried it a couple of years ago. Won't be going there again.
    Then again I suppose they've a place somewhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I saw them in operation in the UK in the nineties. One of the Irish lads on the course with us actually did a few weeks work experience at Ed Walleys the guy who invented the zgrazer featured in last week's journal. Even as a youngfella as green as grass I could see they were highly efficient at separating farmers from cash and time.

• Advertisement

I saw them in operation in the UK in the nineties. One of the Irish lads on the course with us actually did a few weeks work experience at Ed Walleys the guy who invented the zgrazer featured in last week's journal. Even as a youngfella as green as grass I could see they were highly efficient at separating farmers from cash and time.

"Seperating farmers from cash and TIME".

Emphasis on time...grass certainly isn't that good a feed to waste that kinda money and time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Dawggone wrote: »
    Feck!
    Didn't realise the weather has been that bad.
    Zerograzers are the work of the devil (:))....tried it a couple of years ago. Won't be going there again.
    Then again I suppose they've a place somewhere...

Just along the west coast dawgy dawg dawg! East of the country escaping tonight anyway....

Why didn't ya fancy it?? Heap of zero grazers round here.....

And was surprised when I looked at the back page of the journal I think to see a couple of well known farmers using zero grazers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Think they have a place if used in spring and autumn and can get a contractor to do it as mj said
    One of the lads in Dg has one he reckons if it's too wet to graze with cows it's to wet to zero graze don't think they are s solution to heavy ground

Just along the west coast dawgy dawg dawg! East of the country escaping tonight anyway....

And was surprised when I looked at the back page of the journal I think to see a couple of well known farmers using zero grazers.....

I didn't fancy it at the time because after doing the figures it needs grass to be over 22% pr. Problem with grass at that pr% and ground conditions mucky...dm is on the floor. Expensive water.

Not taking from anyone that's using the system now. It's just not for me, that's all.

Btw. I'm not much of a Dawgy Dawg Dawg...I may bite! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I didn't fancy it at the time because after doing the figures it needs grass to be over 22% pr. Problem with grass at that pr% and ground conditions mucky...dm is on the floor. Expensive water.

Not taking from anyone that's using the system now. It's just not for me, that's all.

Testing grass here throughout the year.
    Lowest pr test this yr was 23% dmd always high 80s. Dm a difervent storey

Lowest pr test this yr was 23% dmd always high 80s. Dm a difervent storey

Foliar analysis?

Edit.
    I found that clover (sorry, cuss word) was needed to have any pr consistency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Foliar analysis?

Edit.
    I found that clover (sorry, cuss word) was needed to have any pr consistency.

Yes.
    Fan of clover here. Love seeing it in swards

Yes.

Hmmm....Dawg narrows eyes, and even squints a little...fan of clover??

Aren't Irish farmers supposed to be heavily dependant on monocultures and chemical fert?
    Suspicious...

Aren't Irish farmers supposed to be heavily dependant on monocultures and chemical fert?
    Suspicious...

Treating it with more respect here also, the trials are definitely promising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Go to Clon....read between the lines....check out the sward carefully....mid August would be best....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

I was at one of those fellas places during the summer. Hosted an open day and sale. Great looking cows and figures. Can't recollect seeing or hearing anything about the use of a zero grazer though??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

mf240 wrote: »
    Who does the other 6 milkings. How much did 250 cows cost . How much rent is he paying. Do the uncles work on farm. Are they paid for their time

The labour thing is something that bugs me. alot of fellas calling themselves one man shows not Kevin and a load of free family labour.
    Was in a yard one morning and even poor mammy was coming running with two buckets and her head nearly touching the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

caseman wrote: »
    The labour thing is something that bugs me. alot of fellas calling themselves one man shows not Kevin and a load of free family labour.
    Was in a yard one morning and even poor mammy was coming running with two buckets and her head nearly touching the ground

Very misleading but also plain bad manners insulting parents like that. I've no time for it.

I'd estimate my wife is a half labour unit here and she doesn't put on wellies only to go to matches or EP. She took over the books as my mother tools back seat, invaluable. My post is even opened and junk in the recycle bin before I see it. My next step is to get her to keep the Dept records and then I'm free to milk and drive tractors :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Timmaay wrote:
    Recently we saw three posters close their accounts over disagreements in the dairy threads. While there is a lot of frustration and discontent with current milk prices and the processing industry, the recent tendency for dairy threads to become tit-for-tat arguments isn’t tolerable for those not involved.

I'd estimate my wife is a half labour unit here and she doesn't put on wellies only to go to matches or EP. She took over the books as my mother tools back seat, invaluable. My post is even opened and junk in the recycle bin before I see it. My next step is to get her to keep the Dept records and then I'm free to milk and drive tractors

That's what I'm trying to do, don't intend herself working like that unless she wants! She's down on the books as a labour unit even tho she doesn't even feed the dog! My COP must be skewed the other way :-)

So wonder IFJ/Agriland aren't knocking on door...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Can you explain the following quote

“For every 1c/L your increase your concentrate costs your overall costs increase by 1.6c/L,” he said.

I can't explain it. My best guess is he's probably going off some teagasc analysis of profit monitors where they correlate concentrate costs to overall costs. Can't see why feeding extra concentrates would add any other costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

You are only against them because the discharge is a bit slow.

No good for unloading dung / cow sh**T, goose livers, duck waste etc. into the foyer of the local co-op / bank / govt. department.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Spot on a lot of labour hidden on farms, thankfully my parents are still around both retirement age, mam never goes out on farm but will help out in other ways Dad is doing a lot less but is still invaluable. Probably a full labour unit when all the work they do is taken into account. Milking 130 this year simple system don't think I would manage if I was a a real one man show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Can you explain the following quote

“For every 1c/L your increase your concentrate costs your overall costs increase by 1.6c/L,” he said.

That's one of those statistical anomalies that has been misinterpreted imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

alps wrote: »

Go to Clon....read between the lines....check out the sward carefully....mid August would be best....
    Yes.

Suspicious...

Clover is all fine on dandy on dry soils with lower rainfall amounts in the shoulders once your happy to feed bales on days they could be in the field in spring and autumn. Had it here for a bit in few paddocks and all I had was poached fields in spring due to low cover and and hence weeds in the summer with f all grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

Very misleading but also plain bad manners insulting parents like that. I've no time for it.

I'd estimate my wife is a half labour unit here and she doesn't put on wellies only to go to matches or EP. She took over the books as my mother tools back seat, invaluable. My post is even opened and junk in the recycle bin before I see it. My next step is to get her to keep the Dept records and then I'm free to milk and drive tractors :)

I don't think i insulted anybody parents in that post told it as i seen it.
    If i did my apologies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I don't think i insulted anybody parents in that post told it as i seen it.
    If i did my apologies
    I dont think you did either , I think keepgrowing was saying its very bad form on the farmers involved part to have their mother still out doing their work. That day should be long gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

whelan2 wrote: »
    I dont think you did either , I think keepgrowing was saying its very bad form on the farmers involved part to have their mother still out doing their work. That day should be long gone

Honestly Whelan they can be impossible to keep out of the yard. My mil would give my fathers mother a run for her money and she could embarrass us by making a show of us well into our teens. Bil has spent a decade slowly weaning her off hardship. He has spent a fortune modernising what was a pretty old fashioned yard when he started but there are still a couple of jobs she won't relent on so he grins and bears it. She's still doing 4-5 milkings a week min at 75. 100 plus cows. Not a sin on her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Honestly Whelan they can be impossible to keep out of the yard. My mil would give my fathers mother a run for her money and she could embarrass us by making a show of us well into our teens. Bil has spent a decade slowly weaning her off hardship. He has spent a fortune modernising what was a pretty old fashioned yard when he started but there are still a couple of jobs she won't relent on so he grins and bears it. She's still doing 4-5 milkings a week min at 75. 100 plus cows. Not a sin on her.
    Ah I know that and in most cases its what keeps them going, but there are also lads taking full advantage. Being expected to carry big buckets and do things they were able to do 20 years ago and still have the dinner on the table

whelan2 wrote:

It's still common

kowtow wrote: »
    You are only against them because the discharge is a bit slow.

No good for unloading dung / cow sh**T, goose livers, duck waste etc. into the foyer of the local co-op / bank / govt. department.

Lol.

Looking for a good blockade atm...I've a big heap of tyres I want rid of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Lowest pr test this yr was 23% dmd always high 80s. Dm a difervent storey[/quote]
    Keep in mind that most of that pr in grass will be pissed away, compared to good quality meal/tmr probably lucky to get 60% efficiency if everything was perfect compared to 80+

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

i thought i would give a little up date on strathroy progress this year . they have increased capacity to 1.3 million litres a day , which mainly comes the new evaporater they have built at a cost of 7 million or so . but all of the money comes from strathroy not the farmers. product from the new plant being sold across europe plus the rep of ireland , and they want new suppliers :D

i thought i would give a little up date on strathroy progress this year . they have increased capacity to 1.3 million litres a day , which mainly comes the new evaporater they have built at a cost of 7 million or so . but all of the money comes from strathroy not the farmers. product from the new plant being sold across europe plus the rep of ireland , and they want new suppliers :D

Have they increased price?

Will they swing off the n11 at the beehive for me :p.? Out of interest are you paid in stg or euro? The exchange rate must of made a big impact on the price this yr?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

I'm getting an itch.
    - any affect from Brexit
    - does exchange rate come into the equation at all ( when they're buying or selling)
    - how are prices looking with them.
    Thanks

Am on the hunt for a small meal bin for the parlour, 4-6 tonnes, if anyone is upgrading with the grant, or knows of one?

Have six inch augur already going into parlour, at feeder height, not sure if it is possible to put flexi augur on the end of rigid augur or whether a bin needs to be the right height to match the augur?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

kowtow wrote: »
    Am on the hunt for a small meal bin for the parlour, 4-6 tonnes, if anyone is upgrading with the grant, or knows of one?

Have six inch augur already going into parlour, at feeder height, not sure if it is possible to put flexi augur on the end of rigid augur or whether a bin needs to be the right height to match the augur?

Are you buying second hand kowtow? I'm fairly sure you can put flex onto rigid augers. Anyone selling the augers would tell you for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

mf240 wrote: »
    That's one of those statistical anomalies that has been misinterpreted imo.

It maybe misrepresented and misquoted somewhat but the argument has merit.

I've had this from a NZ researcher comparing COP's of various farms and specifically where these costs increased due to increased feeding over a period if time. The argument did not make any claim that any less profit was made..It was only an analysis of cost.
    The claim was that as feeding rates increased so did the volume of output. It led to increased milking parlour wear, inserted electricity, cooling, labour etc cossesponding to the output. It also led to an increase in slurry and dirty water spreading costs, which did sum up that for every $1 spend on feed, overall costs rose by $1.?? (I can't remember the figure)
    A logical conclusion, but it did not assess whether you made more profit or not..

I would leave that conclusion to the experts here...

visatorro wrote: »
    Are you buying second hand kowtow? I'm fairly sure you can put flex onto rigid augers. Anyone selling the augers would tell you for sure

I'd rather not buy a new one for such a small bunch, and already have all the augurs (actually have two complete sets of augurs)... also have the boot off what I think was a Crowley bin on the end of the 6" set of augurs.

I'd rather not have a bin at all.. a bit of flexi augur connected to the existing augur and curving down into a 2 tonne bag or similar would be perfect but I have a feeling that it's not that simple... I suppose the easiest thing is to try and find a blow in bin and set it at the exact height of the 6" augur?

kowtow wrote:

Its better in the long run less of an angle, but mine does a full c loop. One of my augers had yo be welded this year so maybe that was the cause

• Advertisement

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Its better in the long run less of an angle, but mine does a full c loop. One of my augers had yo be welded this year so maybe that was the cause

Is the flex augur connected to a rigid augur? Or does it go all the way around the feeders?

Presumably the flexi stuff is like a spring in a pipe? Can you just hang it off the end of normal rigid / steel cored setup?. That would be magic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Only thing i'll say to you kowtow is if you buy a new bin, you should have it for a lifetime and you won't be worrying about rust and welding etc plus (don't know if you care or not:P) it will look better. If you are buying new there's a big difference in quality and steel in bins too. Don't just compare on price.

It's a few years since I bought mine but there was a time when the bin was the price of the load of meal inside it.
    If you want to compare bins the ploughing is a good place to do it.

I bought my first bin covered in under the cone with a door for access, as I had the cows crossing the same yard and I was able to use it as a store as well and lock the door. That was 16 years ago and the bin is as good as the day it went in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Only thing i'll say to you kowtow is if you buy a new bin, you should have it for a lifetime and you won't be worrying about rust and welding etc plus (don't know if you care or not:P) it will look better. If you are buying new there's a big difference in quality and steel in bins too. Don't just compare on price.

It's a few years since I bought mine but there was a time when the bin was the price of the load of meal inside it.
    If you want to compare bins the ploughing is a good place to do it.

I bought my first bin covered in under the cone with a door for access, as I had the cows crossing the same yard and I was able to use it as a store as well and lock the door. That was 16 years ago and the bin is as good as the day it went in.
    Vmac?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Vmac?
    Yep.
    So good I bought another one when building the parlour 6 years ago instead of going to the bother of moving that one. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Yep.
    So good I bought another one when building the parlour 6 years ago instead of going to the bother of moving that one. :pac:
    I'm going to the ploughing looking at bins. I was planning replacing my 25yo 6t bin next spring but it will have to wait another year:(

Are they worth the extra few hundred euro over the 'normal' bin?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement