Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chit Chat- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I'm going to the ploughing looking at bins. I was planning replacing my 25yo 6t bin next spring but it will have to wait another year:(

Are they worth the extra few hundred euro over the 'normal' bin?

Well the 6t second bin I got I didn't get it covered under the cone, as the cows wouldn't be near that bin. But it has a bagging chute as well as the auger underneath. Very handy. But if livestock have no access to the bin I wouldn't bother. That said i'm able to use under the first bin as a lockable store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

kowtow wrote:
    Is the flex augur connected to a rigid augur? Or does it go all the way around the feeders?

kowtow wrote:
    Presumably the flexi stuff is like a spring in a pipe? Can you just hang it off the end of normal rigid / steel cored setup?. That would be magic.

Both are flex long run too onto a bearing under the bin, I'd imagine it's possible with a bit of weld or a fitting

Have a 40 yr old 14 ton here and a 12 ton new one 2 yrs ago. The bigger are cheaper in comparison, problem is built a shed around both so if I'm going to put in a parlour eventually might need a crane!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

caseman wrote: »
    I don't think i insulted anybody parents in that post told it as i seen it.
    If i did my apologies

You misunderstood me, I totally agree about the mid representation of facts. If your Mam/Dad helps out don't deny it rather celebrate it but Jesus give them credit

whelan2 wrote: »
    I dont think you did either , I think keepgrowing was saying its very bad form on the farmers involved part to have their mother still out doing their work. That day should be long gone

Not that either, just if they do SAY SO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

http://m.independent.ie/business/farming/dairy/the-man-who-milks-america-35023146.html

War chest is the key word in that article.
    That needs to be every farmers "must do" when price rises.
    Can't be using your contractor or coop as a bank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    (don't know if you care or not:P) it will look better. ...

It would have to look an awful lot better to stop me wrapping it in a clock tower :)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

Dawggone wrote: »
    Have they increased price?

best price in the south at 25.2 and best in the north at 20 pence a litre

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

Timmaay wrote: »
    Will they swing off the n11 at the beehive for me :p.? Out of interest are you paid in stg or euro? The exchange rate must of made a big impact on the price this yr?

i doubt that would be a problem lad . paid in euro from the dublin reg company

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Both are flex long run too onto a bearing under the bin, I'd imagine it's possible with a bit of weld or a fitting

So basically the flexi bit is an extension of the static auger, and driven by it as well? Have to shorten the existing ones in a couple of places so if we could weld on a length of flexi that would be perfect....

Might have to go and look at bins at the ploughing, and flexi augers - do the augers come from the bin makers or is there another whole crowd for that?

In fact with everyone buying new bins, the ploughing might be the perfect place to secure a trade in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

You misunderstood me, I totally agree about the mid representation of facts. If your Mam/Dad helps out don't deny it rather celebrate it but Jesus give them credit
    My dad was saying he went to a farmers yard a few years ago, heard milking machine going and went to parlour and the guys mother was milking-she would have been near 80- My dad asked where the son was , she said oh he's in the house watching tv :eek::eek:

http://m.independent.ie/business/farming/dairy/the-man-who-milks-america-35023146.html

Shock horror he spent $4.5m out of cashflow when prices were good.:D

War chest - float it's all the same thing. Whether it's a farm or corner shop it's all the same. Sense you either have it or you don't.
    Can't teach it. You have to learn it the hard way.

kowtow wrote: »
    It would have to look an awful lot better to stop me wrapping it in a clock tower :)
    Bit of imported Norway fir cladding on the outside. Be a fine job.:pac:

kowtow wrote:
    Might have to go and look at bins at the ploughing, and flexi augers - do the augers come from the bin makers or is there another whole crowd for that?

My augers came from the meal feeder guys, ids their called. Old bin I basically cut off bottom of bin and they welded frame underneath with auger going all the way to last feeder

My augers came from the meal feeder guys, ids their called. Old bin I basically cut off bottom of bin and they welded frame underneath with auger going all the way to last feeder

What height is your bin off the ground?
    We purchased a new bin last yr and went about getting feeders but ids told us the bin is too low to the ground. Says the angle is too sharp. Wanted it head height

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

We purchased a new bin last yr and went about getting feeders but ids told us the bin is too low to the ground. Says the angle is too sharp. Wanted it head height
    Would moving bin back help? Neighbour has cashmans with flexi auger and bottom of bin is about 3 feet off ground or less but is a good bit back from last feeder. Ours is right close to feeders but where bin is standing is 5 feet above parlour so its close to hopper level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

That's bs bin here is only 2 foot of ground, had to replace ids augurs here alright after they chewed themselves up after 6 months, where made of lego where replaced with crowley ones and no issues whatsoever in two years

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Have flexi augers here the side with the sharpest turn has given no end of trouble had to replace the auger this year it broken at the turn twice already, it's in 5 years. When they were replacing it I asked why it was giving so much trouble and the guy said the turn was too tight I wouldn't mind but it was the same guy who installed it.

I only turn em on when hoppers are near empty get 2 or 3 milkings without needing to turn em on hoping it will stretch the lifespan somebit

• Advertisement

jaymla627 wrote: »
    That's bs bin here is only 2 foot of ground, had to replace ids augurs here alright after they chewed themselves up after 6 months, where made of lego where replaced with crowley ones and no issues whatsoever in two years

I was thinking that. Haven't done anything since because the cash isn't there.
    No way is bin being moved.
    Friend has air operated dairy master pig feeders. Great looking job. I'll be looking at them

Mooooo wrote: »
    I only turn em on when hoppers are near empty get 2 or 3 milkings without needing to turn em on hoping it will stretch the lifespan somebit

Have augers in about 30 years. Think they are orby / Alfa laval. Parts cant be got bearing went beside the motor a few months ago. Got parts in kildare after alot of looking . Vmac 20 tonne bin in about ten years. Store minerals in the bottom of it

I have two of these choretime flexi augers. One coming straight from the bin at fair acute angle from the bin to one side of the feeders and then another with a box from that one to do the other side of parlour. Bought them secondhand 6 years ago and god knows how long they were in the previous parlour. But touchwood never missed a beat.

http://www.choretime.com/FLEX-AUGER-Fill-Systems-1

Edit: the bin is the standard height off the ground 2 or 3 ft? and rises to 11ft (I think) and the hopper is about 10ft from that 11ft rise.

pedigree 6 wrote:
    Edit: the bin is the standard height off the ground 2 or 3 ft? and rises to 11ft (I think) and the hopper is about 10ft from that 11ft rise.

pedigree 6 wrote:
    I have two of these choretime flexi augers. One coming straight from the bin at fair acute angle from the bin to one side of the feeders and then another with a box from that one to do the other side of parlour. Bought them secondhand 6 years ago and god knows how long they were in the previous parlour. But touchwood never missed a beat.

I looked at the spec sheet for those but didn't find a way to join them to steel augurs, might be confusing myself though.

Looking at it if we come out at feeder hopper height the steel auger will come through the parlour wall 10ft above the dairy step, maybe 12ft above the yard level... will be a high old bin if we don't put a flexi on the end of it!

I looked at the spec sheet for those but didn't find a way to join them to steel augurs, might be confusing myself though.

Looking at it if we come out at feeder hopper height the steel auger will come through the parlour wall 10ft above the dairy step, maybe 12ft above the yard level... will be a high old bin if we don't put a flexi on the end of it!

Ah you'll have to. You could put a flexi from the bin up the 10 or 12ft and have the flexi motor and box or hopper inside and then your old auger taking out of that box or hopper. But it would be very expensive just buying the flexi auger to do just a short bit. Don't know the price though.

pedigree 6 wrote:
    Ah you'll have to. You could put a flexi from the bin up the 10 or 12ft and have the flexi motor and box or hopper inside and then your old auger taking out of that box or hopper. But it would be very expensive just buying the flexi auger to do just a short bit. Don't know the price though.

Yeh that's what I was worried about. Irritating particularly when I already have two full sets of augers + motors.

I'm wondering whether there is a way to rig something up with my spare 4" augers... take a single straight run uphill from a bin lower down with a single drop into the hopper of the 6" augur on a bracket outside the parlour wall.

Not sure whether the Size difference would be a problem but probably better small into large than the other way around...

• Advertisement

If you care to check out IGA summer tour from 2014 one of the hosts was saying similar. Figure of €250/cow put away for rainy day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

If you care to check out IGA summer tour from 2014 one of the hosts was saying similar. Figure of €250/cow put away for rainy day.
    That was an interesting farm:)

That sounds a bit low. Especially with heading into the unknown future of milk pricing. The higher the better obviously (more of a cushion- a crash barrier to stop you going off the cliff when you're coming down the hill at 120 km ;) ).
    I suppose the whole purpose is to take it seriously and take control of your own finances.
    For some farmers now though the only option is to go the banks and add further loans on.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    That sounds a bit low. Especially with heading into the unknown future of milk pricing. The higher the better obviously (more of a cushion- a crash barrier to stop you going off the cliff when you're coming down the hill at 120 km ;) ).
    I suppose the whole purpose is to take it seriously and take control of your own finances.
    For some farmers now though the only option is to go the banks and add further loans on.

Awh sure we are all under - borrowed anyways now, that's the only reason lads are finding it tough, love that new buzz word that the journal/teagasc are using....
    Last year it was our competitive advantage to the rest of the world now their telling us to load on debt

Awh sure we are all under - borrowed anyways now, that's the only reason lads are finding it tough, love that new buzz word that the journal/teagasc are using....
    Last year it was our competitive advantage to the rest of the world now their telling us to load on debt

Just a question,

Have you a gripe with every organisation out there ?
    I don't know you from Adam but you come across as very negative.

Dairying in this country would be the very same as it is in UK without teagasc and IFJ.

Ill admit they have there short comings but I'd much prefer have them than merchants advising us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Johns3650

Yeh that's what I was worried about. Irritating particularly when I already have two full sets of augers + motors.

I'm wondering whether there is a way to rig something up with my spare 4" augers... take a single straight run uphill from a bin lower down with a single drop into the hopper of the 6" augur on a bracket outside the parlour wall.

Not sure whether the Size difference would be a problem but probably better small into large than the other way around...

We have the old style metal augers here and what we have for changing direction are corners boxs. So you bring ration from the bottom of the bin up at a steep angel and then corner box and then a straight run into and along the tops of the feeders. Powered by one motor at the end of that run. The same then for the other side. Should be a few thrown out with all these new parlours gone in. Try any company doing bin/ in parlour feeders near you for seconds. Worth a shot but they could be like hens teeth

Just a question,

Dairying in this country would be the very same as it is in UK without teagasc and IFJ.

Ill admit they have there short comings but I'd much prefer have them than merchants advising us

Have major gripes with organisations that cheerlead that the ole paddy with the cow out at grass has no bother producing milk at 22 cent our less and still turn a profit, and proceed to shove this point down lads throat with some article raving about efficent grass based farmers who are doing this while leaving out a nice chunk of said farmers production costs out....
    The funny thing is, say if quotas had went around 2012 and prices had rose like they did, alot of farms might resemble these English units as lads chased yields to bank milk when it was at plus 35 cent, and on the flipside alot of grass based farms might of rapidly expanded too and tagged on some serious debt that would be snowing them under now.....
    On a side note had to call into a good eldery neighbour of ours on Sunday morning to interpret his soil tests report from teagasc to show him what needed lime and at what rate cause the lime was coming that Monday but his teagasc advisor hadnt seen the need to return his calls that he had made every day for the previous 10 days....
    Just smacked of your typical semi - state body I don't give a f**k attitude that is rife through a nice % of civil servants....

Have major gripes with organisations that cheerlead that the ole paddy with the cow out at grass has no bother producing milk at 22 cent our less and still turn a profit, and proceed to shove this point down lads throat with some article raving about efficent grass based farmers who are doing this while leaving out a nice chunk of said farmers production costs out....
    The funny thing is, say if quotas had went around 2012 and prices had rose like they did, alot of farms might resemble these English units as lads chased yields to bank milk when it was at plus 35 cent, and on the flipside alot of grass based farms might of rapidly expanded too and tagged on some serious debt that would be snowing them under now.....
    On a side note had to call into a good eldery neighbour of ours on Sunday morning to interpret his soil tests report from teagasc to show him what needed lime and at what rate cause the lime was coming that Monday but his teagasc advisor hadnt seen the need to return his calls that he had made every day for the previous 10 days....
    Just smacked of your typical semi - state body I don't give a f**k attitude that is rife through a nice % of civil servants....

Just a question,

I think that answers your question ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

In fairness to the teagasc advisor, he's probably utterly snowed under with with work, the hiring ban really has hit them hard.

I was at a meeting last night organised by IFA and with managers from BOI and AIB and also a local accountant.

They are being held in every county and would be a worthwhile trip if you find cash flow becoming a problem.

Anyway, the main problem that was highlighted was farmers depending too much on cash flows to build extensions/housing/extra animals instead of borrowing some of it and preserving cashflow. Farmers had spent 10s of thousands, from cashflow, to create capital and that chicken was coming home to roost this year with the low milk price.

The point I'm trying to make is that borrowings are fine if used for the right reason such as building up your asset base. Banks are retrospectively funding capital spending by farmers which should have been done from borrowings.

Now, some of the reasons for the dependence on cashflows are banks unwilling to lend but, a lot of the time, it's due to farmers unwillingness to go to the bank to borrow. And I am guilty of that myself at times:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

The mother spent nearly all day yesterday hanging a couple of gates. Going to have to put her in a home if she slows up anymore.

I was at a meeting last night organised by IFA and with managers from BOI and AIB and also a local accountant.

They are being held in every county and would be a worthwhile trip if you find cash flow becoming a problem.

Anyway, the main problem that was highlighted was farmers depending too much on cash flows to build extensions/housing/extra animals instead of borrowing some of it and preserving cashflow. Farmers had spent 10s of thousands, from cashflow, to create capital and that chicken was coming home to roost this year with the low milk price.

The point I'm trying to make is that borrowings are fine if used for the right reason such as building up your asset base. Banks are retrospectively funding capital spending by farmers which should have been done from borrowings.

Now, some of the reasons for the dependence on cashflows are banks unwilling to lend but, a lot of the time, it's due to farmers unwillingness to go to the bank to borrow. And I am guilty of that myself at times:(

I'm that soldier here, but was laughed out of the branch last spring
    When I tried to retrospectively finance quiet sustainal money I'd spent from cashflow.....
    As I have no ground to give them the deeds to as I'm working of rented ground I wasn't entertained, current debt levels per cow with said bank are less then 200 euros a cow, now if I'm seen as a bad bet why are boi/aib so keen to help lads out that might be mutiples of my debt levels....
    Simple answer is they will have colleteral of said farmers at 60% of real term value so can't lose, farmer defaults they cash in colleteral/farmer works himself night and day to make payments whatever the cost

When I tried to retrospectively finance quiet sustainal money I'd spent from cashflow.....
    As I have no ground to give them the deeds to as I'm working of rented ground I wasn't entertained, current debt levels per cow with said bank are less then 200 euros a cow, now if I'm seen as a bad bet why are boi/aib so keen to help lads out that might be mutiples of my debt levels....
    Simple answer is they will have colleteral of said farmers at 60% of real term value so can't lose, farmer defaults they cash in colleteral/farmer works himself night and day to make payments whatever the cost
    Yeah, the banks only concern is getting their money back.

If that loan suits you as well then it's a bonus but it's not the main reason for their lending to you.

I've run the whole gamut of absolute brilliance in managers to utterly incompetent managers and the whole middle ground between the two as well.

Anyway, keep an eye out for the meetings, they may help a few lads in a spot of bother to get help in time.

Have had 3 different business managers and two different branch managers in the last 5 years. Gets annoying at times

Mooooo wrote: »
    Have had 3 different business managers and two different branch managers in the last 5 years. Gets annoying at times
    I had 3 in one week:D

• Advertisement

I had 3 in one week:D

Anyone that's good seems to get moved on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

[

I remember speaking to a tenanted dairy farmer a few years ago who had a debt limit of about 450 cow for everything, after that his bank would deem the return from sending cows to the factory as less than break even.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Just got charged 2.85 to post bvd samples...madness. Before it was like 1.35. Screwing farmers again

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Just got charged 2.85 to post bvd samples...madness. Before it was like 1.35. Screwing farmers again
    Was always around 3 euro, its the postage thats around 1.35 .I am assumming its enfer?

whelan2 wrote:
    Was always around 3 euro, its the postage thats around 1.35 .I am assumming its enfer?

Yea enfer. The postage is now 2.85. Crazy

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Yea enfer. The postage is now 2.85. Crazy
    no postage is around 1.30

whelan2 wrote:
    no postage is around 1.30

Not anymore. An post have changed it. Went into the main office in town because I got a letter from enfer telling me they had to pay to get my samples released and passed on the charge to me....

The end of drought problems in low rainfall areas or just ploughing in nappies to soils?:D

Solid rain.

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/mexican-farmers-fight-drought-with-solid-rain.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

The end of drought problems in low rainfall areas or just ploughing in nappies to soils?:D

Solid rain.

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/mexican-farmers-fight-drought-with-solid-rain.html

Three long months now with a total of 4mm..

Big lightshow now and no rain...
    Here's hoping.

Notez bien...I'm not complaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Anybody any advice on high milk urea, my last two tests were 50 and 51, cows are only getting half a kg of meal but going into good grass.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement