Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chit Chat- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

visatorro wrote: »
    Highly bred hi yielding cows going north for 2500ish, fresh calved. If that's any use.

Where's this happening??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

You'd think they are limiting purchasers and return be selling only as one lot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mooooo wrote: »
    Maybe the owner doesnt want to split them up, think that ad has been bumped a few times

whelan2 wrote: »
    Maybe the owner doesnt want to split them up, think that ad has been bumped a few times
    Just wondering as to the reasoning. I know with some dispersals any cows with any issues would be sold prior to sales in order to maximise return on the rest of the cows. Maybe he is looking to get all cows including the lower yielders or whatever off together instead of offloading them seperate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

leg wax wrote: »
    legs bows his head in frustration ,and tries not to hit close account button, i dont give a **** about eggs 20 years ago or here say........ just forget it ,thanks everyone.

Sorry for derailing your question legs. I only brought up the embryo story to emphasise the point that lisduff expect big prices and have been achieving this for years.

We replaced the second most important machine in the farm yesterday. Been looking for the right sized machine in good enough order for a while. New to us diet feeder. We have some very small passages and tight yards so needed a smallish machine. It's only for a couple of years as there will be serious renovations done in the next year or two. If I had the price of what went through the old machine I could probably retire now.

We replaced the second most important machine in the farm yesterday. Been looking for the right sized machine in good enough order for a while. New to us diet feeder. We have some very small passages and tight yards so needed a smallish machine. It's only for a couple of years as there will be serious renovations done in the next year or two. If I had the price of what went through the old machine I could probably retire now.
    What make did you go for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

What did you buy?

• Advertisement

Tub or paddle. Have a keenan 100 here on its last legs. Will have to get thru this year but may look ahead for next year

Dawggone wrote: »
    What did you buy?

Stuck with what we know. Keenan.

What size?

What size?

100. A lot of 140s and upwards. Too big for us atm.

What size?

100. A lot of 140s and upwards. Too big for us atm.
    You buy refurbished from them or sec hand elsewhere?

Was looking at them at local harvest show last weekend. They look soft. I wouldn't be dropping a complete round bale into them. Tubs look robust.

Anyhow well wear!

• Advertisement

Was looking at them at local harvest show last weekend. They look soft. I wouldn't be dropping a complete round bale into them. Tubs look robust.

Anyhow well wear!

Not a machine for bales no doubt. Will be looking seriously at the tubs when we upgrade. Stopgap measure. We wouldn't know what to look for with other makes so as I said stuck to what we know going second hand. The paddles are very easily driven. I think Keenan didn't really grasp that a lot of their customers had grown herdsize dramatically and having a higher hp tractor available wasn't the same issue it had been when they started with the feeders first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Not a machine for bales no doubt. Will be looking seriously at the tubs when we upgrade. Stopgap measure. We wouldn't know what to look for with other makes so as I said stuck to what we know going second hand. The paddles are very easily driven. I think Keenan didn't really grasp that a lot of their customers had grown herdsize dramatically and having a higher hp tractor available wasn't the same issue it had been when they started with the feeders first.
    They were trying to sell me a 100 a few years ago and assured me that a 65hp tractor could drive it. I'm still not sure it actually would be able to do it.

Oh, I didn't buy it anyway, there are a good few things on the list that would have a higher return for me than a diet feeder atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Quick question

Is planning permission required for knocking an entrance into a field off a public road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Quick question

Is planning permission required for knocking an entrance into a field off a public road?

Yes

There's some amount of, ah, granlime and, ah, potassium going out round here today :pac:

• Advertisement

They were trying to sell me a 100 a few years ago and assured me that a 65hp tractor could drive it. I'm still not sure it actually would be able to do it.

Oh, I didn't buy it anyway, there are a good few things on the list that would have a higher return for me than a diet feeder atm.

I worked a Keenan 100 on a 4600 ford years ago. They can be geared for smaller tractors when ordering new.

I used a ford 4600 on a Keenan 100 years ago. They can be geared for smaller tractors when ordering new.

You/Keenan were waaay ahead of the game 100yrs ago! (You're a good age now) :)

I've a Sgaraboldi and can drop a full bale into it, but it needs at least 125hp...

You/Keenan were waaay ahead of the game 100yrs ago! (You're a good age now) :)

I've a Sgaraboldi and can drop a full bale into it, but it needs at least 125hp...

Well fckn spotted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Quick question
    Is planning permission required for knocking an entrance into a field off a public road?[/QUOTE
    If it is a local road of a certain width across I don't think you need pp. say they was a small opening there but are widening it if they ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Quick question

Cant remember the width but if its a v small local road you don't but most roads will need planning.

I just got my latest tbc back at 8. Funny thing, I'm in the middle of an acid and caustic hot wash daily because there were ripples of gunk on the jars with one in particular being very bad. I should have checked more often, tbh.

And the funny thing is my tbc is less now than when I last checked the jars and they were clean.

I just got my latest tbc back at 8. Funny thing, I'm in the middle of an acid and caustic hot wash daily because there were ripples of gunk on the jars with one in particular being very bad. I should have checked more often, tbh.

And the funny thing is my tbc is less now than when I last checked the jars and they were clean.

It's wan o' dem tings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Does anyone know of an engineering company making adjustable tractor/loader mounted yard scrapers?

Came across one in UK earlier in the year that can be hydraulically adjusted to 12'.

Does anyone know of an engineering company making adjustable tractor/loader mounted yard scrapers?

Came across one in UK earlier in the year that can be hydraulically adjusted to 12'.
    Local fabricator/ welder throw one together for ya?

It's wan o' dem tings.

When I was on holidays the lad that was milking sent me a text to say he let a load of water into the milk tank. Was waiting for a text from glanbia but the milk went for disease screening that day :)

• Advertisement

When I was on holidays the lad that was milking sent me a text to say he let a load of water into the milk tank. Was waiting for a text from glanbia but the milk went for disease screening that day :)
    And how much did the water make, including 2c top up and vat?:pac:

Local fabricator/ welder throw one together for ya?

I have a guy for that but would buy off the shelf just to avoid the bollixology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Little bit different to the one you have a pic of.
    But my god the price.:eek:
    https://www.kitt.eu.com/product/m7000-adjustable-manure-scraper

They shouldn't really be that hard to make though.

I think I saw an ad for those in fw the last time I bought it. They had euro prices incl shipping. Iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

I think I saw an ad for those in fw the last time I bought it. They had euro prices incl shipping. Iirc.

There is a design that has the scraper mounted on a shaft in 2 elongated holes verticaly on a frame, so you pick it up and can flick it over push it down and locks tight on its self on the frame on the ground. Be easy to make up one side with a ram and 2 hinge like original pic.

There is a design that has the scraper mounted on a shaft in 2 elongated holes verticaly on a frame, so you pick it up and can flick it over push it down and locks tight on its self on the frame on the ground. Be easy to make up one side with a ram and 2 hinge like original pic.

That's the one

That's the one
    Well done on being able to hopefully make some sort of sense of the description, normally have to draw pictures :pac:.

Ive seen it a few times as grazier here has 2, though not the vari-widt addition. Will try get a brand to replicate or even just a design style.

First of the non irrigated maize results back.

15.5 t Dm/ha.

Dm 30.3%
    Energy 31.7%
    Protein 6.9%
    Sugars 1.5%

Sugars disappointingly high and protein low, but happy enough for the year that's in it.

First of the non irrigated maize results back.

15.5 t Dm/ha.

Dm 30.3%
    Energy 31.7%
    Protein 6.9%
    Sugars 1.5%

Sugars disappointingly high and protein low, but happy enough for the year that's in it.

It'll be interesting to see if your irrigation efforts have been worth it in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

It'll be interesting to see if your irrigation efforts have been worth it in a few weeks.

It will.
    Huge maize crop. Expecting well over 22tDM/ha. Severe drought since mid June so I'm pleasantly surprised with non irrigated results.

That's an analysis that a farmer dropped in for invoicing.

That's the one
    Im sure no copyright infringements will happen now.
    http://www.albutt.com/yardscraper.html

Anyone use young, unproven but genomic tested Bulls?

I used a few a couple of years ago. They are now calving down. One of them would lie down in the parlor rather than be milked...I'd never seen that before so persisted for a week. Happy meal.
    Another calved Thur and is at the same craic. Happy meal tomorrow morning. Same fecking sire!!
    Both heifers out of good producing, docile cows.
    An ounce of breeding...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Stan uses a fair few of them and gets on well enough I think? The only particular bad unproven bull I've used here the last few years is KSK, utterly crap milker and small cows so won't even make much as culls. And I got 9 more of them coming into the parlour next spring ugh.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Stan uses a fair few of them and gets on well enough I think? The only particular bad unproven bull I've used here the last few years is KSK, utterly crap milker and small cows so won't even make much as culls. And I got 9 more of them coming into the parlour next spring ugh.
    Feck I've a shot of heifers off him coming in. I see the new aut catalogue is out for pg they have dropped em all by the 71. Any other change is ti do with the normal runs

I used a few a couple of years ago. They are now calving down. One of them would lie down in the parlor rather than be milked...I'd never seen that before so persisted for a week. Happy meal.
    Another calved Thur and is at the same craic. Happy meal tomorrow morning. Same fecking sire!!
    An ounce of breeding...

But they are "proven" dawg. Genomically provern. This is still just using extremely complicated algorithms for a best guess result. This opinion is from someone who was in on the ground floor of quantitative genetics long before the processing power was freely available to do the maths quickly.

• Advertisement

An ounce of breeding...
    How many bulls did you use dawg. In order to protect against the duds the advice is to use a panel of 5 minimum,

How many bulls did you use dawg. In order to protect against the duds the advice is to use a panel of 5 minimum,

Which was the exact same advice they always gave when using test bulls. In fact they used to insist on it if you were participating in the testing programmes, partly to offset risks and partly to get the bulls with less impressive bloodlines tested.

Which was the exact same advice they always gave when using test bulls. In fact they used to insist on it if you were participating in the testing programmes, partly to offset risks and partly to get the bulls with less impressive bloodlines tested.
    Would you be off the opinion to leave them as test bull packs so? It does annoy me them charging 16 to 20 quid for genomic bulls when test bulls with near on the exact same reliability come in packs for 6.50.... th I've used a lot of genomic bulls and I have yet to come across and animal I could say is better by far than what went before her. But look there have been way too many variables here to judge the whole lot that way

Would you be off the opinion to leave them as test bull packs so? It does annoy me them charging 16 to 20 quid for genomic bulls when test bulls with near on the exact same reliability come in packs for 6.50.... th I've used a lot of genomic bulls and I have yet to come across and animal I could say is better by far than what went before her. But look there have been way too many variables here to judge the whole lot that way

Personally I'd be of the opinion to leave them where they are but I won't use a bull without a linear (type) proof.

Personally I'd be of the opinion to leave them where they are but I won't use a bull without a linear (type) proof.

I will not use a bull that's not daughter proven. Ebi should be a guide not a target.

I've often been ridiculed for my stance :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement