Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chit Chat- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Any of ye in feed purchasing groups, are quotes up or down for the winter, our quote up now soon and am wondering should I stock up before new quote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Not a huge amount of expertise needed. Anyone who did an ACP ag degree should have a comprehensive knowledge of the topic. Most ag advisors would have this background.
    I did acp, you have far too high expectations. Most people went on to be overly qualified salesmen and the caliber of some left alot to be desired.
    A littlr bit of effort will get you to about 90% of the best, but its that attention to detail and detailed knowledge that will never be closed unless a big change in approach and upskilling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

whelan2 wrote: »
    Any of ye in feed purchasing groups, are quotes up or down for the winter, our quote up now soon and am wondering should I stock up before new quote?

Feed prices have been trending downwards...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

What resources would lads go to if they were to do bit of research on nutrition etc themselves? Aside from Google that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Mooooo wrote: »
    What resources would lads go to if they were to do bit of research on nutrition etc themselves? Aside from Google that is

Buy this or just read it here.:pac:
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/management_and_nutrition/nutrition_dairy_cattle/nutritional_requirements_of_dairy_cattle.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

3.85% protein last collection, highest it's ever been. 1.4kgms or 16.5l per cow before anyone asks :p. But anyways nice to see measurerable progress like this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I'm stubbornly stuck at 3.6 . Averaged 3.9 for Sept last year. Scc is up as well. Maybe I pushed them too hard the last few weeks

Saw the 6-1 news on RTÉ+1 and dairy farmers were having annus horribilis... now on 9 o clock news tillage farmers *real* plight gets some coverage....

I wonder who made the phone call....FFS!

Not before fcuking time!

Apologies off topic...but some sectors are entitled to moan.

Ah theyre always moaning.
    Couldn't be listening to em.
    If it's not tillage it's the sheep or the beef.
    Moaney farmers moan moan moan.

Nobody forces anyone to farm.

pedigree 6 wrote: »

Settle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I did acp, you have far too high expectations. Most people went on to be overly qualified salesmen and the caliber of some left alot to be desired.
    A littlr bit of effort will get you to about 90% of the best, but its that attention to detail and detailed knowledge that will never be closed unless a big change in approach and upskilling

You appear to have turned out ok though. It can't be all bad.

Dawggone wrote: »
    Settle.

Never.

Never.

There's a very rural village somewhere that's deprived...

Of what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

A small drinking village, with a farming problem.

Of what?

A fool...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

A fool...

Do you ever go back to visit:D

A fool...

Seriously though do you expect to always be looking for handouts when things get tough.
    Is this not the new reality?

A fool...

Oh Christ!!

Seriously though do you expect to always be looking for handouts when things get tough.
    Is this not the new reality?

Remind me again...what farming sector has been moaning since 31/3/2015??

Ski holidays...money *not* to produce?etc etc.

Ever wonder why (whilst focusing on your navel!) Irish farmers pay way over the odds for chemical fertiliser?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ever wonder why (whilst focusing on your navel!) Irish farmers pay way over the odds for chemical fertiliser?

Why may I ask

Getting on with business here.

How did irish dairy farmers get any money from Brussels and why?
    How did that come about?

How much do you pay for CAN or AN?

Getting on with business here.

How did irish dairy farmers get any money from Brussels and why?
    How did that come about?

How much do you pay for CAN or AN?
    ??
    Did you inherit your farm?

??
    Did you inherit your farm?

How did irish dairy farmers get any money from Brussels?
    How much was this money that we got?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭MF290

Starting to get interesting...
    https://imgur.com/xXnWw

Why may I ask

Because it has to be imported...there is no native fert manufacturing industry to create a market (competition)...

Cereals (ration or nuts) could go the same way if there's no native production.

Live and let live.

How did irish dairy farmers get any money from Brussels?
    How much was this money that we got?

??
    Answer the question please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

You appear to have turned out ok though. It can't be all bad.

Thats an extrordinarly low bench mark.
    Slept through livestock on my elbow and took a vague interest in crops, scrapped a middle of the road degree. Shared a lift with 2 lads from home one i was in practically every class since 2nd year in secondary with and another from next town, they helped with midterm stuff and 1-2 weeks cramming end of term.
    One was a walking brain box went on to waste himself as a salesman other got a phd due to being a lick to one lecturer.

Thats an extrordinarly low bench mark.
    Slept through livestock on my elbow and took a vague interest in crops, scrapped a middle of the road degree. Shared a lift with 2 lads from home one i was in practically every class since 2nd year in secondary with and another from next town, they helped with midterm stuff and 1-2 weeks cramming end of term.
    One was a walking brain box went on to waste himself as a salesman other got a phd due to being a lick to one lecturer.

I had a kind of uni experience vicariously through Mrs freedom. You'd be surprised how many peoples college experience could be summed up by your post.

• Advertisement

??
    Answer the question please.

Which one?

But I'll ask you again.
    Why did irish dairy farmers get (someone remind me how much it was again) money last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭MF290

Because it has to be imported...there is no native fert manufacturing industry to create a market (competition)...

Cereals (ration or nuts) could go the same way if there's no native production.

Live and let live.

European fertiliser manufacturing doesn't have to be competitive when they're protected by tariffs on imported fert

I had a kind of uni experience vicariously through Mrs freedom. You'd be surprised how many peoples college experience could be summed up by your post.

So true. Spent time studying hydrology and was longing to go back to Phil...feckin waster.
    What's for you will come by you.

Which one?

But I'll ask you again.
    Why did irish dairy farmers get (someone remind me how much it was again) money last year?

Did you inherit your farm? <-- That one!

I don't know how much dairy farmers have been given in handouts but I'm sure Mahoney has a good account of the holiday spends :)

I don't know how much dairy farmers have been given in handouts but I'm sure Mahoney has a good account of the holiday spends :)

I couldn't care less if Mahoney sold the farm to pay for his holiday. That's his business.

Yes I inherited the farm. I didn't marry in to it. I didn't work at something else first and buy the farm. I didn't win the lotto and buy the farm. I didn't get a big sfp to help me buy more land every year. I inherited the farm.

Your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Your in some form tonight...!!!!

• Advertisement

Which one?

Because they moaned and moaned...and moaned. Sigh.

I couldn't care less if Mahoney sold the farm to pay for his holiday. That's his business.

Yes I inherited the farm. I didn't marry in to it. I didn't work at something else first and buy the farm. I didn't win the lotto and buy the farm. I didn't get a big sfp to help me buy more land every year. I inherited the farm.

Your point.

What quota did your parents/relations have?

Mahoney's way too smart to decapitalise to pay for his skiing holiday...he just awaits for Brussels to gift it to him!

Not all of the em dawg..... I couldn't give a ****e! Price will be what the price will be....

Who did though?

You're trying to encourage irish dairy farmers into protesting. All the while moaning about your frog dairy farmers protesting or your young farmers getting aid.

What's it going to be next?

Not all of the em dawg..... I couldn't give a ****e! Price will be what the price will be....

True.

• Advertisement

Mahoney's way too smart to decapitalise to pay for his skiing holiday...he just awaits for Brussels to gift it to him!

Ease up on Mahoney.

31000 gallons quota.

Anything else wrong with you or do you want to know what's in my bank account or bps?

Who did though?

You're trying to encourage irish dairy farmers into protesting. All the while moaning about your frog dairy farmers protesting or your young farmers getting aid.

What's it going to be next?

I've been championing the average Irish dairy family on here for years now.

It fair smacks of arrogance/entitlement when you post about moaning tillage/beef/sheep farmers, when the half billion aid from Brussels goes exclusively to dairy.
    Settle...

If you want to continue the debate I'll need to discuss your contribution to the industry. It's very easy to discuss sick when you've been well protected from nausea.

Sweet jesus.... Dawg... Mahoney is gonna get you :)

I've been championing the average Irish dairy family on here for years now.

It fair smacks of arrogance/entitlement when you post about moaning tillage/beef/sheep farmers, when the half billion aid from Brussels goes exclusively to dairy.
    Settle...

If you want to continue the debate I'll need to discuss your contribution to the industry. It's very easy to discuss sick when you've been well protected from nausea.

Arrogance and moaning.
    Hmm what's that like? Tell me.

This.

This.

Ah listen I could turn that mirror right back on you and the small family farm comes in handy sometimes. :rollseyes:

Right I'm off to bed before I get a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Aghh jaysus missed all the excitement ,agree with dwag though if I was a tillage /beef /sheep farmer I'd be fair pissed looking at how well us dairy farmers are protected we gave the guts of 30!years looking for quotas to go and within 1.5 years of them going were getting 2 ski holiday funds and and spending money for them to reduce supply .........

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Aghh jaysus missed all the excitement ,agree with dwag though if I was a tillage /beef /sheep farmer I'd be fair pissed looking at how well us dairy farmers are protected we gave the guts of 30!years looking for quotas to go and within 1.5 years of them going were getting 2 ski holiday funds and and spending money for them to reduce supply .........

Merci beaucoup Mahoney.

QED.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Interesting debate, definitely an uneven playing field but that's even within the sectors not just between them. 0 quota given here 0 stock, 0 milking machine, actual loans I inherited and bps of 7k (just a fool willing to work)Took me ten yrs just to catch up with other guys. All circumstances are different but the harder one works the more they improve. No ski/normal holidays here for 3 years. I'm off to milk in my ****e diy parlour!

Is this not all ould fella in the pub guff talk though.
    What difference does any of this make?
    I've milked here all my life. My choice it's what I like. I started off by helping my father lift buckets of milk in a bucket plant into the bulk tank and then we progressed to a pipeline in a tie up byte.(Which took some of the Labour out of it). Now when I took over I got a shed built and between myself and father we did all the concrete work. Then I bought a second-hand parlour and put that in. It was a big improvement. I also now drained land and reseed most years. I've never been on a holiday since ag college (again my choice I suppose ) but finance does come into it as well. All this talk of entitlement and arrogance. It don't come from me anyway.

I don't begrudge anyone what they get which is hard when you see the big figures in bps from Brussels and still the same people are not happy. I can't understand it. Now that bugs the he'll out of me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement