Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chit Chat- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Mooooo wrote:
    96' nh 7840 sle. Just shy of 5k, including all other servicing and a new gear lever and back window. I know it could have been worse but anything outside of standard service this year is a killer tbh

Fair bit thought parts wouldn't be bad for that year, had a Russian fella split my 110 a 7 yrs ago for the clutch. He only charged 200 labour, he's gone on the bigger/better things since. Loader brackets off too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Labour wasn't the worst parts for gearbox made up over half the bill. In fairness there has been nothing done to it since we got it, and gearbox never touched so please god she'll be right for a good few years now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mooooo wrote: »
    Fine lump of a bill from mechanic on the tractor, had to split and do work on gearbox. Always happens the fecking tight year
    Was that from the main dealer? They charge serious money for labour

No local mechanic. My regular lad kept saying he'd come up and never bothered so I went to this fella who in fairness got me out of a hole. Have heard he isn't the cheapest but considered good tho. He'll likely keep my business now as the other fella left me hanging.

I wonder with talks of sugar tax on drinks etc would coops see an opening for dairy drinks, or dare I say it even plain old milk, to be advertised more at school going kids/ teenagers. Get consumption up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

How much does Avonmore Protein Milk sell for? 27grams protein in 500ml.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

96' nh 7840 sle. Just shy of 5k, including all other servicing and a new gear lever and back window. I know it could have been worse but anything outside of standard service this year is a killer tbh

If I was list off the repairs/maintenance we've done this yr and the total cost of em..... You'd get a small shock to your system..... And I'm not finished yet.... Diet feeder must get a job done on it before winter feeding kicks off and one of the JD's must get new pistons and liners..... That might do me then for a few yrs :)

If I was list off the repairs/maintenance we've done this yr and the total cost of em..... You'd get a small shock to your system..... And I'm not finished yet.... Diet feeder must get a job done on it before winter feeding kicks off and one of the JD's must get new pistons and liners..... That might do me then for a few yrs :)
    I know, loader must get service yet and hoping diet feeder will last the season. Have her a new chain and patched a few holes last year. Have to sort a few roofs as well, fecking fbd gone very strict, wouldn't cover some roofs for issues that wouldn't have any bearing on storm readiness. He'll get a nice land when i head elsewhere for a few quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Did they call out to inspect the sheds to quote you? Place here insured with them for ever and a day and they have never once stepped into the yard!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

Water John wrote: »
    How much does Avonmore Protein Milk sell for? 27grams protein in 500ml.

• Advertisement

Signpost wrote: »
    Did they call out to inspect the sheds to quote you? Place here insured with them for ever and a day and they have never once stepped into the yard!
    Yeah, never had a claim for building/ storm damage either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Mornings are getting very dark

Signpost wrote: »
    FBD comeout here every year at renewal time and go through policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Anyone with Zurich, just got my renewal, it's up 30% :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

I'm going to spend the afternoon in the offices of my insurer...if you want to change insurance providers you have to put it in handwriting for each individual policy, that you want to leave...and I've a good few policies. Two months notice is required....
    If the handwritten notice is not given you have no choice but to insure with them...and pay many thousands extra.

Big business needs to be protected from the plebs. Plicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

If I was list off the repairs/maintenance we've done this yr and the total cost of em..... You'd get a small shock to your system..... And I'm not finished yet.... Diet feeder must get a job done on it before winter feeding kicks off and one of the JD's must get new pistons and liners..... That might do me then for a few yrs

Had to redrill new holes for super pin for front axle, weld fertilizer spreader. New veins for slurry tank, serviced car and tractors. I'd say all in all a grand for the year in parts done by myself, have a feeling tho clutch will go in 110, dont have the balls or brains to go at that one myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Anyone have a prodig bucket grab?
    Seen them yesterday, fine bit of stuff.
    Would suit here with the bale silage and the pits.
    500kg pit silage is about as much as it will carry he says.
    I'd be okay with that. Only issue is grapping bales of straw

What's the weight of the bucket? Would the tractor manage it? I think someone on here had the OCE version

Dawggone wrote: »
    I'm going to spend the afternoon in the offices of my insurer...if you want to change insurance providers you have to put it in handwriting for each individual policy, that you want to leave...and I've a good few policies. Two months notice is required....
    If the handwritten notice is not given you have no choice but to insure with them...and pay many thousands extra.

Big business needs to be protected from the plebs. Plicks.

Must be the same person coming up with the insurance rules out there as the MSAs here

What width is that grab.
    Did you get a price

• Advertisement

What width is that grab.
    Did you get a price

5ft
    3950 +vat
    On 110 hp tractor.

Time version is 600 kg forget the bucket.
    Tractor lifts 1t at ease atm

Picking bales of silage and straw is what I never asked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Must be the same person coming up with the insurance rules out there as the MSAs here

Haha. Indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭jaymla627

With Zurich here, went up 20% this year, it's getting out of hand what insurance is costing between the farm/house/cars at a stage now where it's tagging on about a 1.5 cent a litre to productuon costs and is looking like only going up in the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

jaymla627 wrote: »
    With Zurich here, went up 20% this year, it's getting out of hand what insurance is costing between the farm/house/cars at a stage now where it's tagging on about a 1.5 cent a litre to productuon costs and is looking like only going up in the future

Keep moving. Using a broker here. From the sound of things he's saving me half a cent per litre. Biggish broker. Owner has a rural background and married to a farmers daughter. Has a guy who specializes in ag portfolio. One thing we've found is there's very little to no saving in one big renewal for everything. A lot easier find it in bits and pieces over the year also.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭danjoe

Aviva are very competitive in comparison to fbd or Zurich

Cows milking 1.58 kg Ms
    Heifers milking 1.45 kg

All on 3 kg of meal. Grazing 1800's ATM and we'll increase meal and introduce silage as soon as heavy grass is grazed.

On 24 HR breaks will go to 12 hr's when silage comes in.

Weanlings are in on 3rd cut aftergras covers of 15-1600 being followed by incalf heifers. In calf heifers will be housed approx 10/10 to keep weanlings grazing.

Weanlings in 2 grps with heavier calves getting no meal and smaller ones getting 1kg. These will be split into 3 grps mid October with bigger girls being housed on silage and 2kg nuts. Two smaller groups will remain outside on grass with next heaviest being housed in Dec and small group of lighter weanlings staying on grass and 2kg for winter.

That's the plan anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Last rotation started here last night. Land swimming after last night's rain. They did a nice bit of damage to a fresh break. Drys in next week after the last dry bit on their section is grazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Let cows back in last night we had close to an inch of rain, have 4 days of dry ground left after that its looking like the shed. Milking 1.35 ms/day 2 kg of meal getting 2kg of silage
    11% empty at 11 weeks breedin. 4 empty second calvers were the biggest disappointment

yewtree wrote: »
    Let cows back in last night we had close to an inch of rain, have 4 days of dry ground left after that its looking like the shed. Milking 1.35 ms/day 2 kg of meal getting 2kg of silage
    11% empty at 11 weeks breedin. 4 empty second calvers were the biggest disappointment

Reading your post make me feel like a bit of a pseudo farmer. I'm so lucky to be on the ground I'm on. I often cursed in July when parts of the farm shuts down due to drought. Feeding silage in shorts and boots beats feeding in the scutter every time.
    Boys ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭danjoe

What width is that grab.
    Did you get a price

Seen a grab at ploughing from biddy attachments,7 1/2' wide very well built big difference in price compared to competitors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Reading your post make me feel like a bit of a pseudo farmer. I'm so lucky to be on the ground I'm on. I often cursed in July when parts of the farm shuts down due to drought. Feeding silage in shorts and boots beats feeding in the scutter every time.
    Boys ground

+1000 to this.

Boys ground

I wouldn't have the wettest farm relatively speaking, a few lads in Dg would have been in by night a while now. We might get a dry octobter and all will be forgotton!

danjoe wrote: »
    Seen a grab at ploughing from biddy attachments,7 1/2' wide very well built big difference in price compared to competitors

You've a handler or a loading shovel I presume.

I bought a 6' Pro Dig at last years ploughing and I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Really well built with lots of steel where required. Hardox tines with weld on tips. Mines a shear grab with plastic and net catcher incorporated.

Will carry 1 tonne of pit silage and opens bales for sport. You certainly wouldn't be buying on price but worth every cent and probably more. Don't quote me on that. I'd recommend them even if the salesman was a knob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

Boys ground
    Aye,felt the same this morning when reading yewtree's post here in the south east,it hadn't started raining yet and the ground bone dry
    Quite wet now but it will blow over,I'm hoping to keep the milkers out here until the end of November or start of December and if there are dry days in January and there's grass,they'll be creeped out for a few days again

All could go south of course,while there's oceans of leafy grass here at the moment,all useable as the ground has no give yet, Butregular frosts and a long wet spell and we'd be in the same boat all too soon

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Boys ground

+1

On limestone gravel here for most of it, cutaway bog is mostly planted. Before nitrates became an issue we were grazing 11 months of the year.
    Weanlings still outwintered on kale, plough, till it with a land leveller big difference to housing Oct to April.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

blue5000 wrote: »
    +1

On limestone gravel here for most of it, cutaway bog is mostly planted. Before nitrates became an issue we were grazing 11 months of the year.
    Weanlings still outwintered on kale, plough, till it with a land leveller big difference to housing Oct to April.

What are growth rates like on kale compared wit silage and nuts and do they have much shade in field they will be grazing the kale?

Actually how important is shade to cattle during winter if there out? A very very well known Angus breeder near me had his cattle grazing kale on the edge of a cliff... with the wild Atlantic Ocean waiting for them if they took a jump... Anyway they seem to get on the finest.... So how important is shade??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What are growth rates like on kale compared wit silage and nuts and do they have much shade in field they will be grazing the kale?

Actually how important is shade to cattle during winter if there out? A very very well known Angus breeder near me had his cattle grazing kale on the edge of a cliff... with the wild Atlantic Ocean waiting for them if they took a jump... Anyway they seem to get on the finest.... So how important is shade??

GR around 0.7-0.8 kg on kale and big bale silage. Kale is high in CP. The big advantage that lots of people don't realize is that cattle take off in mid-feb at grass after being out wintered on the kale, whereas if they were housed and let out, they'd be standing under a hedge for a month if weather was rough in feb-march.

One disadvantage with suckler heifers I've noticed is that they are wild, they never really get the close human contact like they would get in a shed for the winter. So I have started housing the heifers and putting the bulls out on the kale, if the bulls are wild they'll be gone at 16 months.

They have a grass lie back, usually it's a paddock that will be ploughed the following year for kale after 1 cut of silage. Constant rain is a problem though, I try divide the lie back area in 3 sections. It usually has high hedges or mature trees around it, or at least on one side.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

4.66bf and 3.82pr. Record for here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

If this weather lasts,we could all qualify for the reduction scheme!

Latest milk results.
    16l
    4.23p
    5.6 bf
    2kg meal

• Advertisement

3 calved today, 11 left. Think the heifers will break me. Very hard to milk for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭jaymla627

whelan2 wrote: »
    3 calved today, 11 left. Think the heifers will break me. Very hard to milk for some reason

What's bulls are they off, always keep a eye on temperament score here when picking bulls, something that alot of lads pay no attention to at all, then wonder why their heifers are ninjas in the parlour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Pet hate of mine . Tried udder mint on the fresh calved heifers last couple of years and it seems to help.
    Tie them up early here life's too short for plamausing them.
    Turn off the ACRs for a while.
    Delaval were able to manipulate settings leaving the pulsation running right up to pull off so the heifers especially don't sense they're coming off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

It's Deffo in the breeding.

The more Holstein type are easier than the British Friesan to train.

Did you try the vice grip on the tail Whelan.

ye most of the bitches are br/fr out of a stock bull. Although the worst is a ksk . Have a kick bar on her now. Main problem is parlour is 3 ft centres , too much room. Use jump lead clamp on some of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

ye most of the bitches are br/fr out of a stock bull. Although the worst is a ksk . Have a kick bar on her now. Main problem is parlour is 3 ft centres , too much room. Use jump lead clamp on some of them.

If you've staggered throughs and a straight rump rail you could run 2inch piping outside throughs for a while to really tighten them up..

Latest milk results.
    16l
    4.23p
    5.6 bf
    2kg meal

Super figures jex herd?

yewtree wrote: »
    Super figures jex herd?

Yes mix of ebI and kiwi used last few yrs to put some yield back. Delighted with results

Yes mix of ebI and kiwi used last few yrs to put some yield back. Delighted with results

Lic Bulls? Have a few cows I need to put a bit of yield back into aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I've had the "feet up" since June, and should do until about 5th of Feb, and 2bh love nor money wouldn't make me go back autumn calving again ha.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement