Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New mortgage rate

• 27-07-2015 9:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

just looking for a half-educated guess on this..............

my old fixed rate is about to expire with Ulster Bank and I've been offered

2 year fixed at 3.85%;
    4 year fixed at 3.9%
    6 year fixed at 3.99%

the 6 year is really too much of a commitment for me, but just wanted to see how folks reckon the market will look in two years - if I fix now for 2 years, do you think the rates will have fallen again (or am I better to fix for 4)? I'm very risk averse, so prefer to fix my rate

Flexible Variable and SVR are both 4.3%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

There are people at the moment who believe the SVR rate will be reduced to be more in line with europe. Personally, I would take a gamble on a years fixed but I dont think I'd go for 2 years with this in mind.

A move to another lender might also save you a fair amount of money, KBC in particular. you should have a read here: http://www.askaboutmoney.com/forums/the-fair-mortgage-rates-campaign.139/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Thanks for that - there's a min of 2 year fixed, no one year option :-(

do other lenders consider taking you on if you're still in negative equity - I reckon in 2 years, the gaff will be back at the mortgage value (rural Cork here as opposed to city centre Dublin, so the recovery is on slow speed here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Anyone thinking of choosing a 1 year fixed should get it in writing that they will not revert to a standard variable but will get a loan to value variable rate. You wont be able to remortgage to another lender if you are in negative equity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

cjmcork wrote: »
    Thanks for that - there's a min of 2 year fixed, no one year option :-(

do other lenders consider taking you on if you're still in negative equity - I reckon in 2 years, the gaff will be back at the mortgage value (rural Cork here as opposed to city centre Dublin, so the recovery is on slow speed here)

I wouldn't like to advise you either way because it could go any direction. I'm a gambler by nature so always go for variable but I don't have dependants and can cope if the rate went up..

Advertisement