Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Playstation Now

• 27-07-2015 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 36 psyconia

Hi there - anyone know when we are getting Playstation Now ?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Came on to ask the same. Was reading up on it and that monthly subscription looks savage value :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Is it available in ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I've heard that the Beta is available in the UK. No word on Ireland yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Came on to ask the same. Was reading up on it and that monthly subscription looks savage value :D

Did they not revert to the original (and terrible) subscription prices when they released it for UK beta?

I agree that for €15 a month to stream any game from the service is something I'd probably subscribe to but the individual prices per game model is something I'd completely ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Bump!! any news on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Something tells me that Sony's focus on PSNow may shift based on MS's recent backwards compatibility announcement.

I can see Sony moving PSNow to off-hardware platforms like TVs, Blu-Ray players and such, then introducing full BC to the PS4 for PS1, 2 and 3 games.

Of course, this is all wild speculation on my part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭lulzordan

Otacon wrote:
    I can see Sony moving PSNow to off-hardware platforms like TVs, Blu-Ray players and such, then introducing full BC to the PS4 for PS1, 2 and 3 games.

They announced the beta for Japan, mentioning what you said about adding support for bravia TV and blurays

I'm not sure if they'll change it for ps4 though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I tried the beta, and honestly I thought it was ****e. Really slow to connect to the service at all, then I tried to play uncharted 3, and it kept stopping/starting due to my connection (which is real fast on downloads and everything else) It must have taken 30 minutes odd to get to the first gameplay bit. Silly slow, not a fan.

it kept stopping/starting due to my connection (which is real fast on downloads and everything else)

Your download speed isn't really the issue there - it's the upload speed that you need to be high. On my speed test, my download speed was about 30 and my upload was 8. They advise that 5 and higher is required for the experience and mine was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Otacon wrote: »
    Something tells me that Sony's focus on PSNow may shift based on MS's recent backwards compatibility announcement.

Of course, this is all wild speculation on my part.

Why would the bother with full BC when they've already advanced Now this far? I think the best thing would be to make it a subscription service like Netflix where you pay a flat fee each month and the money would roll in for them.

• Advertisement

Why would the bother with full BC when they've already advanced Now this far?

PS Now started out as a less-than-ideal-but-better-than-the-competition's solution. With MS's BC announcement at E3, PS Now (on its own) is not worth it.

However, if Sony work out a way to allow people to use PS Now with the physical disks they have as unlocks for the content, then it may actually surpass what MS have already (no install times as there is no download necessary).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Allowing BC like that isn't going to pay for the servers and bandwidth required. I feel Sony is going to push this over any BC to try and make it the Netflix of videogames and try to ape the success of ps plus. Don't be surprised in a few years when they are trying to ps now over physical media.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Why would the bother with full BC when they've already advanced Now this far? I think the best thing would be to make it a subscription service like Netflix where you pay a flat fee each month and the money would roll in for them.

They have a subscription service like netflix, being rolled out across the US currently i believe.
    https://www.playstationnetwork.com/video/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Do we have PS Now in Ireland lads ..?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Do we have PS Now in Ireland lads ..?

Do you know something we don't....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No Now now. Maybe Now later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I wish Sony would pull their finger out, I mean Xbox I think is at the moment blowing it out of the water between, Ea Access, X360 BC and Windows 10 streaming which for me anyway seems way more stable then PS remote play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I wish Sony would pull their finger out, I mean Xbox I think is at the moment blowing it out of the water between, Ea Access, X360 BC and Windows 10 streaming which for me anyway seems way more stable then PS remote play

And yet the PS4 just sailed past 30 million units sold while the Bone had sold "around 10 million" this time last year and that's all we know about it.

To be honest if Microsoft got there act together from the get go it could have been a different story, just goes to show how important that launch day information at E3 was, If both consoles launched today as they are now to be honest I would be xbox all the way and I'd say the current landslide victory Sony are having at the moment wouldn't be happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Any updates on when this is launching?

US offer looks great, 100 games for 100 dollars a year or something like that

• Advertisement

nope seems to be complete radio silence on this, can't understand how the UK can get this service but we cannot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Is it PS3 only ? ... or is PS4 included ?

I know it's not here yet.. but just wondering.. It looks like PS3 only from what i've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

NeVeR wrote: »
    Is it PS3 only ? ... or is PS4 included ?

I know it's not here yet.. but just wondering.. It looks like PS3 only from what i've seen.

Only PS3 games at the moment but can be played on PS3, PS4 or Vita.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/gaming/playstation-now-1213666/review/3

Can't say I'm interested or hyped about the Now service. Digital delivery has been a bit underwhelming on consoles, and in general. It still appears publishers etc. don't "get" the entire purpose of why a large portion of the customer base want the move to digital.

While there is obvious benefits in terms of conveniance, in just downloading/streaming a game,movie, tv show or music without having to go to a store, the perceived savings in terms of outlay is going to be the big draw. I'm yet to make an online digital purchase on a console(apart from some DLC on xbox360) as the price point simply doesn't appear to better physical, and in some cases the digital versions cost more. Crazy.

Will keep tabs on it, it's an incredible idea that could change the landscape, but not holding my breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Have there been any further updates about when this might be available here?

I didn't have a PS3 and there are some games available that I would love to play, can't really justify a new console but my TV is listed as being capable of using Playstation now

if there is no sign of it arriving before the end of the year I might go down the route of buying an old PS3 and getting the games I want but it is more effort than should be required

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

At this point there is nothing about it moving to different regions. And it's pretty much impossible to get it to work outside those regions.

If I were you, I'd get the PS3

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

RedXIV wrote: »
    At this point there is nothing about it moving to different regions. And it's pretty much impossible to get it to work outside those regions.

If I were you, I'd get the PS3

Thanks, I will have to wait until later in the year for that so will see if there is any movement on launching it before Christmas I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

If you set your psn account up as a UK account when you first open it you can use PS Now. I'm using it at the moment. It's 12.99 sterling but probably worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,126 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Up now, but cant find a price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

duploelabs wrote: »
    Up now, but cant find a price

€14.99 a month.Free seven day trial,for first time users.

Advertisement