Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AIB - Paying Mortgage Lump Sum online

• 27-07-2015 9:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭

So I noticed this morning, that on AIB Internet Banking you can now transfer money into your mortgage account, a feature that was previously disabled. I did a transfer of €500 as a tester and the money transferred and the outstanding mortgage reduced by €500.

Just wondering though of the effect of this? Normally when doing "offline" lump sum payments you are asked whether you want to reduce your monthly payment (while keeping the mortgage term as it is) or if you want to reduce the term and keep the same monthly payment.

Anybody know what the default position is with regard to online payments?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,088 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have made approx 7 or 8 overpyaments on my mortgage over the years and have always done it via a cheque, as I was afraid if I did it online they would reduce my monthly amount and keep term the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

See this post on the "Ask AIB" forum ...

http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/94174973

The default is for overpayments made via this method to reduce the balance with payments remaining the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Alun wrote: »
    See this post on the "Ask AIB" forum ...

http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/94174973

The default is for overpayments made via this method to reduce the balance with payments remaining the same.

Cheers Alun, that's great news. Seems AIB are keeping the service quiet...might be a trial or something...makes life much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Uriel. wrote: »
    Cheers Alun, that's great news. Seems AIB are keeping the service quiet...might be a trial or something...makes life much easier.

Yes, they never mentioned it was possible and last Xmas I accidently transferred 500 euro to the mortgage account (as opposed to the account that the mortgage payment is taken from).

You cannot reverse such a transaction online and it took numerous calls, emails and letters to get AIB to engage and reverse it. Really the most difficult part was trying to elicit a response at all.

Advertisement