Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contact switch on gate for alarm?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You could use a unit like either of those , but if it's outside you would need a good IP rated junction box.
    I wouldn't recommend wireless if it's outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

cyburger wrote: »
    Hi all,

Is it possible to add a contact switch to my side gate and then wire them into my existing alarm? I imagine it's doable in principal, but it's a HKC1070 and the box may not be the easist thing to run new wires to (but it's not a show stopper).

What I'd like is to have it as an untimed entry\exit basically, so if it's protected when the alarm is on, but also that the alarm won't set if it's open?

Would something like this be what I'm looking for and would it work with any alarm?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roller-Shutter-Contact-Magnetic-Switch/dp/B0052HYSAE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_60_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0V9P1X71JA7AEXE6N8FC

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Normally-Closed-Shutter-Magnetic-Contact/dp/B00O9YWADS/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1437988549&sr=8-15&keywords=roller+gate+contact

Cheers!

Have a good few set up using a wire free contact. Just turn off the reed switch in the device options menu and wire any of the devices you linked too into the terminals. The junction box you use should also have a tamper switch in case anyone goes at it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most wireless devices only conform to Environmental class II. I would not be recommending these for outdoor use unless Environmental class III or higher.
    4.1 Environmental behaviour
    Depending on their operation area system components of Alarm Systems (AS) are
    subject to different environmental influences. Therefore different severe requirements are
    to be fulfilled by the devices in respect of their environmental behaviour. Difference is
    made between the following environmental classes:
    Environmental class I: conditions in well-kept indoor areas where temperature is well
    maintained
    Environmental class II: conditions in other indoor areas (e.g. stairwells, depot rooms)
    Environmental class III: conditions outdoors, but weather-protected (e. g. garage, attics)
    Environmental class IV: conditions outdoors, fully exposed to the elements (house
    wall).
    Note: These environmental classes are to be understood independently from the
    classification as described in VdS 2227 for alarm systems (performance features).

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Yeah HKC contact sensors will work fine outdoors once kept dry. The circuits are encased in resin. Mine have withstood the big freeze with no battery or comms isuues.

They are only Environmental class II so it would not be recommended. You could be also invalidating your warranty or the device or worse your insurance cover if a device failed due to incorrect installation or poor installation practice.

• Advertisement

Op I'd say go for it. There's hkc sensors on steel cold damp sheds even stables and they don't give trouble. If you're really concerned about dampness then placing silica gel packets into the IP housing will keep them extra extra dry.

Just because something works does not make it the right way to do it.
    HKC wireless devices are Environmental class II. Therefore they are not designed to work within that environment.
    Most good installers would follow good practice & recommend the right device for the right application, something like this.
    http://www.knightfireandsecurity.com/uploads/YH10A.pdf

KoolKid wrote: »
    Just because something works does not make it the right way to do it.
    HKC wireless devices are Environmental class II. Therefore they are not designed to work within that environment.
    Most good installers would follow good practice & recommend the right device for the right application, something like this.
    http://www.knightfireandsecurity.com/uploads/[6]YH10A.pdf

Hang on so you've never put a wireless sensor on a shed door ? Or up in an attic ?? HKC sensors work to -10 degrees.

I'm just advising on the specs and the recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Evolution1 wrote: »
    Yeah HKC contact sensors will work fine outdoors once kept dry. The circuits are encased in resin. Mine have withstood the big freeze with no battery or comms isuues.
    Evolution1 wrote: »
    Hang on so you've never put a wireless sensor on a shed door ? Or up in an attic ?? HKC sensors work to -10 degrees.

I have them installed with no problems.
    I have also installed them in Garages, Sheds with no problem.
    Wire free is more commonly used in the likes of a outdoor outhouses/oilroom/Sheds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement