Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card Upgrade

Options
  • 27-07-2015 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I have been mulling over possibly upgrading my graphics card to a MSI 970 GTX Gaming (drools).
    I am wondering, would it give me a decent enough upgrade to my existing setup?

CPU
    Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz overclocked to 3.9
    RAM
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (9-9-9-28)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68-V (LGA1155)
    Graphics
    1279MB GeForce GTX 570 (Gigabyte)

Used for gaming, mainly Rift (I know its harder on the CPU than the graphics card, but still). Another main reason is reducing the noise my old system generates, think jet fighter take-off under load :P

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Yes, that would be a big jump. Roughly double, maybe more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Yep, would be a ginormous upgrade :) Also, what cooler you have on the 2500k? A 2500k will easily do 4.5ghz + on a cheap (read: 25 euro) aftermarket cooler, which would buy you another few years at the high end with a 970 for an upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

At 3.9Ghz the 2500K doesn't really need to be pushed any further, in pretty much all games the GPU is still the bottleneck.

At this stage a GTX570 is about as fast as a €100 GTX750, it's a major bottleneck and would be affecting a lot of Rift titles heavily. I used my rift even on an R9 270X, which is a lot faster than the 570, and even that wasn't a great experience.

Your Rift experience would be a whole new world with a GTX970!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Thx guys - will start looking where to buy. And FYI: Rift as in the MMO not the Rift Oculus :P
    The CPU is cooled with a Corsair H60 and it was clocked to 4.5 GHz, but I dropped it down to 3.9 because it bluescreened too often. Its rock-solid at 3.9 or 4.1 and I've found no need to go higher,

morgana wrote: »
    Thx guys - will start looking where to buy. And FYI: Rift as in the MMO not the Rift Oculus :P
    The CPU is cooled with a Corsair H60 and it was clocked to 4.5 GHz, but I dropped it down to 3.9 because it bluescreened too often. Its rock-solid at 3.9 or 4.1 and I've found no need to go higher,

MMOs are often CPU bound, you will likely see big increases in minimum FPSes with a CPU overclock.

If it bluescreened you weren't applying enough voltage. Have you over volted before? AFAIK Sandy Bridges take very well to over volting.

• Advertisement

MMOs are often CPU bound, you will likely see big increases in minimum FPSes with a CPU overclock.

If it bluescreened you weren't applying enough voltage. Have you over volted before? AFAIK Sandy Bridges take very well to over volting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Yes I did raise the voltage, it was stable for a while then started bluescreening again. I raised it again and the same. So I just dropped the OC a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yes I did raise the voltage, it was stable for a while then started bluescreening again. I raised it again and the same. So I just dropped the OC a bit.

Ah yes the silicon lottery.

Looks like you got a bad one, like me when I used to play the real lottery.

How high did you set it? As long as you can cool it (sub 90 in prime), anything up to 1.35v should be fine...

Advertisement