Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog digging up the back lawn.

• 27-07-2015 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

I have a cocker spaniel who is a male 7 year old and in the last month is digging up massive holes in the back lawn near some spruce trees in the middle of the garden but not near the bounds,he does it after he comes back from his walk,i walk him about an hour every evening 7 days a week and this issue is only happeniong in the last month,his food is still the same,any advise is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

You could try get him a sandpit and teach him to dig in the sand. Maybe hid a few toys in the sand so he can find them and dig them out. Make a game out of it!

Its a bit strange that he's suddenly picking up the habit at 7 years but maybe some cocker spaniel experts might be able to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

One of my fella's is 3 and our new pup has taught him to dig. He spotted him digging and decided to join in, soil flew everywhere! They had a blast.

I'm most likely not the most helpful but with things like this I would try to facilitate the dog and give him somewhere to dig. Otherwise whenever a dog does something I do not want it to do, I block the dog's ability to do it. In this case if for whatever reason I did not want the dog to dig where he was digging, I'd corner off the area with fencing/wire of some sort, or supervise when he is out and redirect him with something else to do instead like play with a treat ball.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Not an expert on cockers or anything but have owned one for the last 10 years and what I have learned once a digger always a digger :D

My guy used to be a dreadful digger until we dog proofed the garden... so my garden is safe BUT when i bring him down to my sisters house... not cocker proofed... the fun is only mighty.

OP what I would say is does your garden back onto a large open area or field? reason i ask is they have an amazing sniffer on them if a rabbit has burrowed under and has a den (or any or animal for that matter) he will be sniffing them out..

The sand pit is a great idea... or if you lay down chicken wire over the grass for a few weeks when he digs he will get no where.. he may get bored but i suspect something has taken up residency under you garden and he is desperate to locate them ;)

I know you said you walk him for an hour... do you mind if i ask is he able to do a good bit of sniffing on these walks?

Reason i ask is the more sniffing he does outside on his walk the more tired he will be when he gets home and less likely to wreck your garden.

Post a pick of the little fella :D:D

Advertisement