Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Band Syndrome

Options
  • 27-07-2015 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Anyone ever suffer from this? Anyone suffering? Cures/old wives tales/remedies??

It came on in triathy and haven't been able to shake it.. Seen a physio and being fairly rigourous witht eh S&C now together with foam rollin.

Usually kicks in around 4-5k into a run..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

got it a few years ago, foam rolled and physio for ages, same as you kicked in after 4-5k running.

a weeks skiing holiday fixed it, no problems after that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

aye, been there, suffered that, had the t-shirt.

no running, leg strength exercises for a month, built slowy back up once back running. sucks as an injury, but you do get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Some time off, taking it easy and following what my Phisio had me doing worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

there is light at the end of the tunnel so.. physio said ok to run just not when I get sore.. just need to keep up the strength etc.. i'll keep the head down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Make sure to keep the hip and glute muscles loose, especially the TFL and the gluteus medius. Avoid foam rolling the IT band itself and instead focus on VMO, adductor, TFL and glute medius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭El Director

It sucks but the earlier you deal with the exponentially better. The guy I saw is excellent, very painful but knows what to do. Then take your stretching and rolling very seriously. PM if you want that guys details.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheEagles

1 of the most head wrecking injuries I ever had. Suffered with ITB on my left side then got(still have) runners knee on my right. reduced the mileage I was running and slowly building back up. still going to physio, a lot of stretching!!!

picked it up after the Dublin marathon last year, will be ruling me out I think this year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Aw man, I had an awful bout of this last year. Ran a lot of races holding or punching my knee of hip. It wasn't ideal.

Foam rolling and 2 sports massages did the trick for me.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

+1 on pconn062 comments.

Too many people causing themselves needless pain by rolling IT band itself not the muscle portion.

Was typing similar comment, but was worried would be too much like medical advice.

Strength and loose VMO and TFL helps me and some of my clients.

Advertisement