Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rack Mounted 48 Port Switch Advice

Options
  • 27-07-2015 1:47pm
    Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking for some help please I am looking for Rack Mounted 48 Port Switch Advice. It needs to be gigabit as I have Cat 6 run throughout the house and also needs to be rack mounted as it is going in a Server case.

I am looking for a good quality switch but really don't want to spend massive money maybe €150/€200 ideally cheaper if possible.

Kind regards,
    TCP/IP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I really think you will struggle to pick up a decent 48 port switch anywhere near that price without going into the second hand market.

Do you really need 48 ports for your house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭trompele

200€ is not enough for 48 Port gig switch. TP-Link TL-SG1048 48Gigabit Switch, 19-inch rack-mounted for around 300€ if you are talking about new device. Something good quality you are talking 1000€ or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Alun wrote: »

Will sound like a plane taking off and will pull loads of power. The question has to be asked, do you need a 48 port switch in a house. I'd love to see the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

As mentioned, brand new 48port gigabit will cost you 300+
    As Cuddlesworth said, 48 ports seems like a lot.
    Even giving 2 points a room in a 4 bedroom house, 4 for the living room, 4 for the kitchen, various hallway points 4. That's 20 points, and allowing 4 ports for plugging in devices at the switch, that's 24.

Living in a 10 bedroom house, that's a different story :P

• Advertisement

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    As mentioned, brand new 48port gigabit will cost you 300+
    As Cuddlesworth said, 48 ports seems like a lot.
    Even giving 2 points a room in a 4 bedroom house, 4 for the living room, 4 for the kitchen, various hallway points 4. That's 20 points, and allowing 4 ports for plugging in devices at the switch, that's 24.

Living in a 10 bedroom house, that's a different story :P

And why would you wire up every point? Its not like you're in a heavily redundant 24/7 operation. If you need a port, you wire it up to your 8/16 port switch.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Thanks for all the advice maybe 24 port will do. Any recommendations. Thx a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Cheap and cheerful, you'll pick up a TP Link TL-SG1024D for around €90-100
    They're not bad switches, have a couple of them in use in various setups. From what I remember, not too loud.

You'll pick up a ZyXEL GS1900-24E for around €150-170. This is a managed switch and fanless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 that_other_guy

You could terminate the points at a 48 port patch panel, then patch in the points that are acutally in use as you need them.

That is what I have done and am using a Mikrotik CRS125-24G. Great switch but a steep learning curve if unfamiliar with RouterOS

Advertisement