Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the council cut back hedge trees (ash)?

Options
  • 27-07-2015 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

One of our neighbours planted a row of ash trees some years back and now all the nearby gardens are plagued with fast growing, unkillable, young ash trees.
    I know I can't do anything about the neighours trees (if only I could) but there is a hedge in front of the house that now has a row of young ash growing. If these are left to nature the entire front of the house will be shrounded in darkness and the seedling problem will get worse.

Can I ask the council to cut these trees back? They used to periodically cut that hedge but the trees are too strong for the hedge cutting machine now. They are about 8ft with lots more growing to do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Is it on public land, or private land?

If public, then yes... but good luck getting them to do it. I've a similar problem with a diseased ash tree from public land overhanging my own house. Loads of seedlings, but I'm more worried about the 40 ft tree crashing into my roof. It's been a P1 priority list tree on the council's list for over 2 years now, and nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

Yikes. In two years it will be massive. The ditch must have been public because the council used to cut it. Now there was a house built behind it. I might clip the tops off myself to stunt them and just hope none of them are female trees.

Advertisement