Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society, Carton House - Montgonmery Course, Outing 22nd August 10:30

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Seve OB wrote: »
    No idea. will ask in the shop on Saturday.

Hopefully the greens!!! Only the 6365 Yards off them:eek:

Game not in good shape, hoping to be haunted by the ghost of Seve to handle those bunkers.

Looking forward to seeing the course however, and continue my run of trying to play all the Irish Open courses...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Looking forward to this now. On google maps it looks wide open so hopefully might suit my game (wild as hell)

Do we know if the greens were done?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

I am playing Carton tomorrow. Will update you on the condition of the greens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Was there yesterday and had a quick look as I was driving by. From a distance they looked fine.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Was there yesterday and had a quick look as I was driving by. From a distance they looked fine.

J

Fine as in lightening fast after the good weather. I expect to de green a putt or 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭bobster453

I will also have the last few Polo t-shirts if anyone in interested in them, they are €25

Hi Seve
    Large Polo shirt for me please

I'll be coming from south side Dublin if anyone is stuck for a lift.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tigerwood1

Was working there Monday and Tuesday and the greens looked in excellent nick, although the course was closed yesterday pm so hope they were,nt getting ready to pole fork. Attached a picture of the 15 thm green. PS bring plenty of spare balls the rough is high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Should have been able to get confirmation on if the greens are being pole-forked or not by now I would imagine. No news hopefully is good news. Not worried about rough and have plans to bring bucket and spade for the bunkers so I'm covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

tigerwood1 wrote: »
    Was working there Monday and Tuesday and the greens looked in excellent nick, although the course was closed yesterday pm so hope they were,nt getting ready to pole fork. Attached a picture of the 15 thm green. PS bring plenty of spare balls the rough is high.

Working there eh Tiger? Is that what they call a practice round these days? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭doublecross

Expect a bumpy ride on the greens. Rang the course out of curiosity. Pole forked and sanded!

Expect a bumpy ride on the greens. Rang the course out of curiosity. Pole forked and sanded!

Well we should be expecting a reduced fee from them.
    Very disappointing when they haven't even informed us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Agree. Especially with a big a society as Boards! Feel a bit let down now :( same thing happen to me in Kileen Castle last year when I played it, really takes away from the experience of the marquee courses. But suppose it has to be done at some stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Long narrow course, heavily bunkered, rough is up, greens under maintenance. Any early calls on the winning score?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Long narrow course, heavily bunkered, rough is up, greens under maintenance. Any early calls on the winning score?

I will guess at 37

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I won't be attempting anything longer then 9 iron.

How bad as this rough? Am I right in saying there aren't trees and very little water?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

How bad as this rough? Am I right in saying there aren't trees and very little water?
    Lets put it this way, it'll be a fun shot........if you find your ball!!!
    I will guess at 37
    It'll take a great score to get to 37 if the rough is up and the greens having had work done on them. I reckon there will be a lot around the 30 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

Only water is on the right of 1st which is only really in play off the tee and down the length of the right of the 18th. There's a couple of big mature tree on the course but only 1 or 2 are actually in play.

I just drove through there at lunch, the deep rough is as long as I've seen it, maybe as long as it was the year the irish open was on there, but I don't know how thick it is, I know in previous years they usually try and thin it out early in the year. The main problem is actually getting a line on entry into it and how far in you are, if you have both of those you can usually find it, getting it out can be a different matter :rolleyes:

I seen the guy was just starting the coring process, he was using the hand push machine which I think only takes the fine cores, I suppose the condition of the greens on Saturday will depend on the amount of sand they put down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I will guess at 37
    I was thinking a similar number but if the rough is that high and the greens forked then 34/35 could do it.

• Advertisement

Was really looking forward to this but when rumours of pole-forking happening I was annoyed. Now that its being confirmed and only two days before the outing I am pissed off. Green maintenance like this is planned in and Carton House should have had the decency to let the Society know in advance.

We are not getting to play the course at its best so we should be getting a reduced rate. This also happened to me before and I felt shafted by the club involved.

ballyk wrote: »
    Working there eh Tiger? Is that what they call a practice round these days? :rolleyes:
    I wish ballyk but the closest I got to the course was taking a few pictures, I did however see a fellow boardie throw his clubs into the back of a 151 top of the range beamer.

Attached a picture of 12th ( I think) gives you a idea of the rough

Doesn't look that bad! bunch of Pussy's :rolleyes:

Keano wrote: »
    I was thinking a similar number but if the rough is that high and the greens forked then 34/35 could do it.

So that's

1st golfgraffix 37 pts
    2nd keano 35 pts
    3rd ? 33pts

Reckon the form will carry through from kileen similar courses large greens bunkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I call 35 to win.

I'll be happy with 32, but anything worse than that I'll be disappointed.

Macker1 wrote: »
    Was really looking forward to this but when rumours of pole-forking happening I was annoyed. Now that its being confirmed and only two days before the outing I am pissed off. Green maintenance like this is planned in and Carton House should have had the decency to let the Society know in advance.

We are not getting to play the course at its best so we should be getting a reduced rate. This also happened to me before and I felt shafted by the club involved.

I understand your frustration. I have sent them an email asking why we haven't been informed and enquiring about a reduced rate. Don't forget though, it is being subsidised so you aren't being charged the full whack anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Haha!!

I'll take 30 points and see what happens after that!

I understand your frustration. I have sent them an email asking why we haven't been informed and enquiring about a reduced rate. Don't forget though, it is being subsidised so you aren't being charged the full whack anyway.

Have they given us the sub?

Panic over folks.

I just got a call from Carton and they tell me the only maintenance that is going on is reseeding of fairways. She has assured me that there has been no maintenance work done on the greens.

Happy Days, well cuffed..

• Advertisement

Seve,

I know it being subsidised and I'm sure everyone is grateful for that given the list of fantastic courses laid on this year. My frustration is entirely with Carton House and with any other club that fails to clearly communicate when scheduled maintenance like pole-forking are taking place when an outing is planned and more importantly booked.

The course maintenance of any course has to happen and should so that courses can be enjoyed in their best condition. However when planned a club should either refuse bookings or offer reduced rates for players/societies that are still willing to play despite on-going maintenance that will clearly effect the playing conditions.

To be fair this may be blowing out of all proportions as the greens although treated may still be in good nick. I certainly would expect that this is the case given the reputation that Carton House has.

Panic over folks.

I just got a call from Carton and they tell me the only maintenance that is going on is reseeding of fairways. She has assured me that there has been no maintenance work done on the greens.

Great news Seve

Thanks for following up.

Wow, the escalated quick! Storm in a tea cup! I'm blaming doublecross!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

lol

Panic over folks.

Great news. You'd think the guy in the pro shop would know the difference between greens and fairways!!

Well at least that got us talkin!!

Great news. You'd think the guy in the pro shop would know the difference between greens and fairways!!

i've never heard of fairways being pole forked!

Doublecross, you sure you rang the right golf club??

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Watch out for the big scary monster that lives in one of the bunkers on the 4th!!!!

Don't bother ringing the club, it's a secret :)

• Advertisement

Doublecross, you sure you rang the right golf club??

Hope so :D Told him I was playing the Monty course and just want to check was there any work done to the greens this week. He said light coring and sanding and said the green wont be great. Then had a quick word with the green keeper and said that they should be fine by weekend. We'll find out on Saturday.
    The quick greens in Killeen didn't suit me so I could do with some sand to put the breaks on :)

Hope so :D Told him I was playing the Monty course and just want to check was there any work done to the greens this week. He said light coring and sanding and said the green wont be great. Then had a quick word with the green keeper and said that they should be fine by weekend. We'll find out on Saturday.
    The quick greens in Killeen didn't suit me so I could do with some sand to put the breaks on :)

It will be interesting all because she wanted to know where I found out. She point blank told me that no work at all had been done on the greens

It will be interesting all because she wanted to know where I found out. She point blank told me that no work at all had been done on the greens

Just checked the phone number to make sure I wasn't going mad.... and yes, it is the pro shop for Carton House.

Just checked the phone number to make sure I wasn't going mad.... and yes, it is the pro shop for Carton House.

I can't understand them telling different stories, even if it was just a small job done, she was definite that there was no work carried out on the greens!

I can't understand them telling different stories, even if it was just a small job done, she was definite that there was no work carried out on the greens!

Strange alright, especially with dwd seeing them working on the greens
    dwd wrote:
    I seen the guy was just starting the coring process, he was using the hand push machine which I think only takes the fine cores, I suppose the condition of the greens on Saturday will depend on the amount of sand they put down.

:) that's how u wake up a thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭recycled

Phoned the pro shop today - yes they worked on the greens this week.

recycled wrote: »
    Phones the pro shop today - yes they worked on the greens this week.

Ah well, hopefully they won't be too bad. The pole forked greens should suit my putting game anyway.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

Strange alright, especially with dwd seeing them working on the greens

sorry I should have said earlier but the guy I saw working on the tee box on 18th but all the flags had been taken out through the course, so I presumed the were going to do some work on the green, but there was no sign of sand on the green's at lunch time. I can pop in tomorrow at lunch and have a look to see what they've done.

Hey Seve is it to late for a visitor? Ill drop you a PM

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Just stick the ball to the pin on your approach and tap in and you'll be grand!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement