Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society, Carton House - Montgonmery Course, Outing 22nd August 10:30

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

So had a quick spin through Carton this morning on the way to work and there was no sign of any cores or sand on any of the green's from what I could see from the car, the place looks immaculate :) Most of the greens had the flags back in, so I'd be surprised if there's any major work done before tomorrow. So there'll be no excuses for the bad scores now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

benny79 wrote: »
    Hey Seve is it to late for a visitor? Ill drop you a PM

nope, 2 spots available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

I sent you a Pm just let us know if that's ok cheers buddy.

The guys in Carton are putting out NT & LD for us.
    Nearest Pin is on the 17th, I can't remember where they said Longest Drive is :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Seve OB wrote: »
    The guys in Carton are putting out NT & LD for us.
    Nearest Pin is on the 17th, I can't remember where they said Longest Drive is :rolleyes:

Speaking of the 17th, last day i was in Carton the place was very quiet and we hit our normal tee shots on the 17th (from the greens i think) We went back to the tee box that was used in the Irish open - I'd say I'd need driver off it!!

mad, as much club as should be needed on a par 3 is a 3 iron

I think the longest iron needed on any par 3 is a 7 iron. They should be short and tough. There's one on the Monty, 7th i think - beside the road. Not long but very very tricky. You really need to hit the green, short and its deep bunkers, long and its a tough uphill back, isn't there a tree on the right?

ah here, a 7 iron! and you give them a good whack.

ah here, a 7 iron! and you give them a good whack.

What I'm saying is 180 yards is long enough for any par 3, anything over 200 is mental.

over 200 is tough, but not mental. up to 220 is acceptable IMO, but they would really want to be kept for the monthly medal. 200 on any given Sunday is OK.

Key is though for a course to have a mix of par 3's
    there should be short, medium and long, not all the same length. A short par 3 can be savage and much tougher if it is designed properly. 17th @ Druids & Sawgrass for eg.

But I do like to see some long ones so sort the men from the boys :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Key is though for a course to have a mix of par 3's
    there should be short, medium and long, not all the same length. A short par 3 can be savage and much tougher if it is designed properly. 17th @ Druids & Sawgrass for eg.

But I do like to see some long ones so sort the men from the boys :D

Need a mix of orientation too so you're not always playing with wind from same direction.

Looking forward to the round now lads, need a big one to get back in the mix.

Hoping the weather holds up now, looking like there could be a couple of showers

Need a mix of orientation too so you're not always playing with wind from same direction.

Looking forward to the round now lads, need a big one to get back in the mix.

Hoping the weather holds up now, looking like there could be a couple of showers

Yea, I've been watching it all week. keeps changing so hopefully the rain will blow off and we can stay dry.

A bit of rain will sort the men out from the boys! As its only summer showers :D

So who had a sneaky round? And who's going to do the course guide? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Check out golf graffix' app on the play store. Called Carton house.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

No round for me and for a course guide, stay out of the rough and the bunkers!!!!:P:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

charlieIRL wrote: »
    No round for me and for a course guide, stay out of the rough and the bunkers!!!!:P:D

Unfortunately my golf balls have some sort of attraction to the rough and bunkers :(

Dr.Rieux wrote: »
    Unfortunately my golf balls have some sort of attraction to the rough and bunkers :(

Same here, and a bit of water just for the crack!!

Update timesheet guys, we have a couple more visitors to round it off to the 40. Fantastic numbers again.

Time Player 1 Player 2 Player 3 Player 4
    10:30 pistolpetes11 ballyk ThecHamp26 dak
    10:40 bobster453 dwd LuckyGent88 Tony O'Connor
    10:50 Macker1 HoleInOne Dr.Rieux kieran.
    11:00 The Big Easy doublecross princess poppy tigerwood1
    11:10 shaunac93 O'Reilly Tony Keano benny79
    11:20 3putt athlone99 kiers47 ssbob
    11:30 Buddy Holly recycled a post punk spacecoyote
    11:40 FixedePitchmark Ben1977 bombedbiscuit roadrunner
    11:50 charlieIRL paulos53 Barnaboy Sponsor 3
    12:00 Seve OB Golfgraffix Ggraffix Guest Sponsor 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Looks like rain from 12 to 5. :(

Looks like rain from 12 to 5. :(

the early starters might get the best of the weather so

must remember the wet gear!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

the early starters might get the best of the weather so

must remember the wet gear!

I heard it to be mostly dry with the occasional shower in the afternoon. I prefer my forecast

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

She is looking a tad damp folks but noting crazy ,

359451.png

359452.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Nothing much changed

359485.png

359484.png

Lovely morning here. Going to head over shortly. Other then 9 holes on Wednesday I haven't played since last Saturday so feeling like I might be rusty today. I'll be happy with 30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Lovely morning here. Going to head over shortly. Other then 9 holes on Wednesday I haven't played since last Saturday so feeling like I might be rusty today. I'll be happy with 30

No way, after playing everyday last week you can't be rusty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Ben1977 wrote: »
    No way, after playing everyday last week you can't be rusty.

Haha yeah was just going to say the same. I suppose get those excuses out early lads :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ThecHamp26

Sorry lads I was on the driving rage but I had to head home due to a family emergency sorry again enjoy the golf

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Well another huge success again. Many thanks to our Capt and sponsors. Had the great pleasure of watching 2 great rounds today, from roadrunner and Fixdepitchmark. After 5 holes I had a feeling the winner was in our group.
    Myself and Bombedbiscuit didn't quiet turn up today. Great to put some more faces to names.
    Great turn out, great weather, great course and great company.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Another brilliant course and great weather really helped. Our fourball was good fun with Benny, Tony and Shauna. All of us played decent golf at times but some that's best forgotten!!

Congrats Roadrunner on the win!

Thanks Seve again for great organisation and making everyone outing so hassle free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It gets a bit boring saying great day here all the time - but another great day organised by the crew . Can't put my finger on it - just the weather - the laughs - the forward tees and the great golf in our group from us all at times , but one of my most enjoyable rounds in a while.

Our group looked like it was all brawn at times - we didn't care how we got on, once we won longest dive :D - was like an old East German national hammer throwing contest. :D

But with forward tees you could clear most of the first trouble - and have short irons into normally mid to long iron holes. But I think that made the round more enjoyable - a couple of eagle chances all around.

From the white tees , in any wind, that place could be torture.

Ben and Bomb (the double comedic act) are some pair. Poor Bomb was going well and hit a bunker on 7 that they would be proud of in world war 2. The slagging between the lads was funny stuff. But both great ball strikers.

Onto Roadrunner - fantastic round and kept it going all day. Was very clever with his selection between driver and driving iron :eek: , he played a lovely draw all day and got great run. Roadrunner has great contact and speed at the right time in his swing. Great to watch.

But the show on the greens was unreal - holed about 10 mid to long range putts. Perfect strong pace all the time.

Then to step up and hit a big drive on 18 and another near Bird - fantastic round.

But the real nice thing to see was - the genuine good will from the group for him to pull it off. Was great stuff.

Asked Roadrunner - how he has improved putting so much - Class answer , Xbox :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

What a day. From the craic with ren and stimpy (ben and bombed) to witnessing what was sizing up to be a below par round for fix (didnt happen in the end sadly). Then onto the banter in the bar afterwards. Some of the long driving going on in our group was incredible. Drive and PW's into par 5's kind of stuff! I wasnt expecting too much from my round as i havent been playing much lately and wasn't too surprised as my round started badly with a lost ball scratch during the start of the rain. But then the rain cleared and I began holing some putts myself. My highlight was a near ace on the 11th (I think).
    Chuffed with my rory ball and sitting here enjoying some Irish coffee, relaxing. Bring on fota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

RoadRunner wrote: »
    What a day. From the craic with ren and stimpy (ben and bombed) to witnessing what was sizing up to be a below par round for fix (didnt happen in the end sadly). Then onto the banter in the bar afterwards. Some of the long driving going on in our group was incredible. Drive and PW's into par 5's kind of stuff! I wasnt expecting too much from my round as i havent been playing much lately and wasn't too surprised as my round started badly with a lost ball scratch during the start of the rain. But then the rain cleared and I began holing some putts myself. My highlight was a near ace on the 11th (I think).
    Chuffed with my rory ball and sitting here enjoying some Irish coffee, relaxing. Bring on fota.

Mick you were hitting it long but it was not a near hole in 1 on the par 4 - it was 12 th.

Class shot - slight draw on the dangerous line over bunker.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tigerwood1

Well we dodged a bullet with the weather today umbrella up for the par3 3rd and otherwise a perfect day for golf, playing off the green tees helped to tame the course but i was thinking on the way home it gave us lads advantage over the lassies as they only have one tee box, congrats to princess poppy on a great shot for nearest the pin 17th.

It was one of the most enjoyable rounds i have had this year i dont think we lost a ball on the front nine and with doublecross flying it with 24pts on the front 9 i was quite happy with 21pts and four pars in a row up to 10th i reckoned i could hall him back:). Managed to get past him with a better bk nine even with a scratch on the last for 37pts but got pipped by the big sneaky with a great par on last also with 37pts (watch for this fella at fota he has got his eye on the captains double:D).

Thanks to captain and commitee for arranging the weather all there hard work this year and finally congrats to roadrunner if carlsberg did golf society wins you would have three scratches 42pts and share of one of largest 2s pools in boards society history:cool:.

Well as I sit here in the National Aquatic Centre watching my kids do swimming lessons I have a few minutes to myself ahead of a busy day!

Yesterday was another great day Fix :D. Weren't we blessed with the weather? From a society point of view it was great to bring a couple of our sponsors out to such a smashing course and they both really enjoyed themselves and the company of you guys. In fairness the year couldn't have been what it has without them.

Thanks to Golfgraffix and his guest Fran for some good craic and enjoyable company. We figured Golfgraffix was a shoe in to be in the winners enclosure as he was 5 up after 10 bitbsome sloppy mistakes cost him in the end. Those bunkers were tough in places.

I found the course played easy with the sticks so far forward, but I still managed to find a heap of bunkers and the green side one on 11 nearly broke me!

A good front 9 for me with 19 points that included to many 3 putts and a couple of birdies on the back 9 made up for my 4 putt on 14. Lipped the hole from about 10ft with my eagle chance on 18, played a 3 iron in with my second shot from the right rough, 245 yards up the hill :eek:

Will be tomorrow before I get round to doing the scores but it must be shaping up nicely now!

Well done to all the winners and roll on Cork :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭recycled

Started off well 1 under after 2. My drives found the thick grass and I blanked a number of holes in the first nine... I started out trying to stay out of the bunkers and did not realise the rough was as severe (lesson learned).
    Big improvement on the back 9, aimed for the bunkers and missed most of the time.

Playing partners Spacecoyte, Post Punk & Pat had mixed fortunes in the front 9.
    We all upped our game on the back 9. I think it was the 16th hole Spacecoyte sunk a 30 footer for a bird and we all sunk about 10 footers for 3 pars. http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/cool.png

Enjoyed the good company, we had great craic which made the day, despite the rubbish I was playing on the front 9

Lucky we did not play off the whites, it would have been a tough test and very slow play.

Very fortunate with the weather, the course was in great condition (the sanding treatment of the greens had the desired result for us).

Another successful outing, organised with military precision, thanks to the captain and all involved, well done.

A big congrats to all the winners.
    I played with roadrunner in Dundrum, a great guy and a fine striker of the ball. I saw his shot to the par 3 12th? stopped to 1 / 2 feet from the hole!!

Looking forward to Fota.

Well lads and lassies, another great day out with the society, course in great condition, weather held up and as always a fantastic turnout of some of the nicest people you could wish to meet.
    Even though the course was playing shorter than normal, the bunkers and rough still ensured it was a tough test. I found that if I cleared the first of them with my drive there was a few more there lying in wait to make sure I got lots of practice hitting out of them!! I’d say I hit about 20!! Ruined one hole on me, had 144m left for my second on one of the Par 5’s and hit a deep greenside bunker, 3 shots later and I got out, head fried, cursing like a sailor and scratch cause I couldn’t calm down with my putt!! Had to apologise a few times to my poor playing partners after it!! Made up for it on the 18th, drive and a flick of an 8 iron to leave approximately 15 foot for eagle – which I missed as I rarely have birdie putts never mind eagle putts!! I only started taking real account of my score near the end of the round and couldn’t believe how I was going, I actually thought I wasn’t playing well at all. I knew I was keeping doubles off my card and was happy making bogey was good but didn’t think it was that good!! Apart from the first hole driver was working great, sloppy second shots but my putting was the best it’s been in a long while – sunk every single putt from inside 6 foot. Saved me a lot of times. Burger and bottle of Heineken was well welcome mid way through!!
    Thanks to everyone for making it a great day out again and many many thanks to Seve for getting the excellent deals for us on these fantastic courses.

Roll on Cork boi!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

another great day out on a great course and had a good laugh with ssbob, kiers47 and 3putt. i had a shocking start, driver deserted me untill the 12 when i changed my grip slightly and then started bombing the ball long and straight! ssbob had a smashing start 14 points through 5 and we thought we had a early contender but 2 scratches on 8 and 9 hindered his chances! we then tried to out drive each other on the last few holes, and i took it as a challenge when Kiers said the fairway bunkers 300 yards away werent driveable (ended up just short of a few of them). Kiers refused to hit the driver even do it was the best club in his back! 3putt quietly kept going and ended up with 36 points i think! Some great scoring and probally the most competitive outing so far on one of the toughest courses although playing off of the greens made it a bit easier! Looking forward to Cork now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

One of the most enjoyable days I have had playing golf, the company, the course, how I almost played made it for me!

It will be the one that got away for me, 4 up through 5 holes but after that scratched 8&9, after taking 4/5 shots on both holes to get out of the hellish rough! Then on the back 9 I steadied the ship but had 5*3 putts in total. Course played a little short but those bunkers were swallowing everything up, even ones that were well hit.

On my playing partners, Kiers must be building his handicap for FOTA :D He plays his worst golf on boards outings! Athlone "Long" 99 found his game on the back 9 but couldn't take advantage of the monstor hitting. 3Putt as usual puts in another solid performance and besides being odds on favourite for FOTA will be a great partner for anyone playing with him in Druids later in the year.

Thanks Steve for a great day out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Another great day out with the boards society. Thanks to ssbob , Athlone and Kiers for the company. We had a good laugh going round . Great course but really punishing. Even the good shots ended up in the bunkers. Started out badly on the first few holes myself but got it going after about 6 holes and played ok after that, But by then we thought ssbob had it in the bag the way he was playing with 14 points after 5 holes. He got really unlucky on 8 and 9 in the rough and it cost him. Athlone can hit the ball an absolute mile when he catches it so you can see why he got 40 odd points at an outing earlier this year. Kiers just got himself into 2 much trouble trying to be smart off the tee. He should of just hit the big stick more often as he was hitting it well when he did. So onto the last one of the year now Fota and I reckon it will all be very tight at the top with a fair few still in with a chance at GOTY. Thanks to seve and the committee for another well run event. See you all in Cork .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Really enjoyed the day out. Was a pleasure to be out with macker and holeinone, unfortunately macker's sand wedge got a good work out. I scored 36 points with 18 each 9 including 2 scratches each 9. I had my first ever putt for an eagle on the 8th which I was delighted with, missed it of course but I'll take a birdie any day of the week.

Hoping I'll be able to make Fota next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭a post punk

Had a great day out Saturday probably 1 of my favourite courses all year and I was dreading it with all the bunker talk on the way up !!the driver wasn't working on some of the holes which left me a long way back but at least the putting is good at the moment( however long that lasts).the highlight was on 16 where a super birdie putt was followed by 3 great par putts out of the group. Thanks to a sound group of lads as usual ,looking forward to fota next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Another day that could have been a lot better out with the boards crew. Started with a simple par, but followed it up with 3 putts on the next 2 holes from very innocuous positions.

Had 4 scratches on the day. The course was not set up too tough to be honest, but if you were wayward off the tee then it was pot luck finding a golf ball.

Did have great company from recycled, buddy holly & a post punk which more than compensated for the mediocre golf. Everyone had their highlights & their share of lowlights but on the whole was a great day out.

We definitely had the bomber crew out behind us so not surprising to see some good scores from roadrunner, fix & crew. We caught a good look at roadrunners super tee show on 12.

Apologies for running out the door soon as we were done lads, got the call from the boss so had to hit the road.

See you all in Fota, looking forward to a great golf course & a great night out...with the Cork crew finally getting to show us round their part of the world!!

Even with a win it'll be a struggle to make the jug team at this stage. I haven't put in any particularly bad scores in outings this year, but low 30s golf just doesn't cut the mustard at boards outings it seems :)

Well Folks, the results are in. A few adjustments when I went through the cards, so again, please make sure they are correct when you sign off on them. Princess actually came third, but her penalty for not double checking it was to loose out on a prize! Never mind Princess, still a few nice jug points for you as a consolidation prize to move you into contention for team selection.

20684102070_7f444fd781_c.jpg

Wow, what great scores there were last Saturday. I figured my 34 might squeeze me in a top 10, but how wrong was I? I left a good few out there on the greens with at least four 3 putts, a 4 putt and 3 other soft misses, including a very costly putt for a 2 on the 7th, leaving the ball hanging on the lip. I came up about a foot short of being perfect on the 11th with my second shot, and the ball rolled back into the bunker, into a footprint, and I took 3 to get out :rolleyes: to cost me my only scratch of the day. The course played easy though. If it were next week I would be asking to play off the whites, I think the greens made it to easy. I mean I played a wedge for my second on 15, from the bunker to leave me beside the green, on a par 5 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭paulos53

I will return my prize at Fota. princess poppy can take that or do a swap with The Big Easy.

My 2s money is ample consolation for missing out on the prizes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

paulos53 wrote: »
    I will return my prize at Fota. princess poppy can take that or do a swap with The Big Easy.

Theres no need for that at all, I am just delighted to get the points. Steve had said to me about checking my card before so its my own fault. I think the different indices sometimes produce a hiccup.
    See you down south

paulos53 wrote: »

I guess if it were a normal club comp Princess would have gotten Disq, but there is no point in being that mean, we are a friendly bunch.

If it were up to me though, the prizes have been given out and there is no need to swap things around, but I'll leave that amongst yourselves to do whatever

Sure didn't she get the dozen balls for Nearest the Pin anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭doublecross

Theres no need for that at all, I am just delighted to get the points. Steve had said to me about checking my card before so its my own fault. I think the different indices sometimes produce a hiccup.
    See you down south

My bad. I usually double check the ladies indexes. I even checked against Princess Poppys own record of her round after to be sure and I still got it wrong!
    Won't happen again :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Bit late with my comments, but once again thanks for a great day out. Well organised and a fabulous area carton house is.
    Cheers to my playing partners john, pete and visitor dave but sorry to lads behind who I was supposed to play with. Jumped at the chance to get first with having to get back to adare for the afters of a wedding.

Probably with the rush onto the tee it caused my terrible bogey start. I had dismissed all the talk of the awful bunkers that was said here but learnt my lesson quickly after the first.

After that I played pretty well but lots of silly errors and poor putting caused my 35 points. 7 1 pointers and 36 putts cannot lead to a good score. Considering the course was playing very short and easy I was very frustrated with my putting. Only wish I used my monster drives on back nine at the 8th for the long drive :(

Have to say I found the course quite bland for some reason. Just not that memorable. Green side bunkers were what they should be but fairway ones are very severe IMO. Rate

Anyway, congrats to all the winners. Seen first hand in naas how good roadrunner can be so no surprise with his score.

• Advertisement
Advertisement