Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol strategy

Options
  • 27-07-2015 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭

What does everybody think about this:

http://connachttribune.ie/alcohol-strategy-to-tackle-citys-boozing-220/

Excerpt:
    As the city prepares to host throngs of revellers drinking on the streets during Race Week, a new action plan to help communities tackle alcohol problems has been launched.

The guide was released as part of the city’s five-year alcohol strategy – the first city in Ireland to draw up one – in order to prevent and reduce alcohol-related harm.

One of the first steps for communities to get to grips with the scourge of dangerous levels of drinking is to undertake an audit which provides a snapshot of the policies, systems and environmental practices currently in place. The audit should also identify areas for improvement.

The booklet – ‘Research evidence to prevent alcohol-related harm: what communities can do in Ireland’ – advises communities to implement “interventions”.

These include having less cheap alcohol available, greater enforcement of alcohol laws, less alcohol advertising, increased alcohol screening and advice readily on hand to provide to the public.

A monitoring system should be put in place targeting youth access, secondary purchasing, serving intoxicated customers and drink-driving.

The action plan also recommends the adoption of bye-laws to limit drinking in public places.

Much of the report details research around alcohol and what other countries have done to reduce its adverse affects.

Not to start a thread without giving my own opinion. I think it would be a good thing if this could change some attitudes and behavior but also fear that Galway's alcohol abuse culture has become an institution in itself.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Drug-peddlers want greater protection
    Publicans say they protect de vulnerable from the effects of cheap alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

These include having less cheap alcohol available

Our alcohol prices are some of the most expensive in Europe.

I smell the publicans lobby off this.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

mikom wrote: »

ya, there's already a thread about this ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057461730 ) in which I said the same thing and was accused of being a 'conspiracy theorist' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Aimead

One of the first steps for communities to get to grips with the scourge of dangerous levels of drinking is to undertake an audit which provides a snapshot of the policies, systems and environmental practices currently in place. The audit should also identify areas for improvement.
    I read that and the pessimist in me says it will nowhere. Strikes me as being similar to the ‘meetings about meetings’ that never seem to go anywhere. But sure it makes for a great chance to get some good PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

These include having less cheap alcohol available
    Whenever I read this line I think what they want to say is "keep the riff raff out"..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Our levels of drinking are also typically at or close to the top of the scale.

Price and availability are key factors influencing alcohol consumption. There was a five-fold increase in the number of off-licenses in Ireland between 1990 and 2006, and alcohol became 50% more affordable between 1996 and 2008. According to 2013 figures, 43% of standard drinks are consumed at home, 42% in a pub/nightclub and 10% in restaurant or hotel. At 2012 prices, a woman could reach her low risk weekly drinking limit for €6.30, while a man could reach his low risk limit for less than €10. (Source: http://alcoholireland.ie/facts/price-and-availability/)

That said, when initiatives like this are proposed it's a good idea to check for the hidden hand of the pub trade and the alcohol industry. I recall a joint Vintners/Garda campaign several years ago which targeted alleged use of illicit drugs in pubs. According to the Gardai at the time, one of the ways to recognise drug users in pubs is that "they won't spend much", suggesting that the main concern was not consumption of illegal drugs but insufficient consumption of Ireland's favourite legal drug.

My impression is that there's a concerted effort being made to reduce the nature and extent of street drinking. If pubs are being hit by the off licence trade, maybe there's pressure being exerted by publicans and hoteliers to curb consumption of shop-bought alcohol on the streets. And maybe certain forms of street drinking look bad to some, and there's an attempt being made to improve the image of alcohol consumption generally?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    My impression is that there's a concerted effort being made to reduce the nature and extent of street drinking. If pubs are being hit by the off licence trade, maybe there's pressure being exerted by publicans and hoteliers to curb consumption of shop-bought alcohol on the streets. And maybe certain forms of street drinking look bad to some, and there's an attempt being made to improve the image of alcohol consumption generally?

I'm not actually that fussed who's behind it: any initiatives that decrease alcohol consumption are a move in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I'm not actually that fussed who's behind it: any initiatives that decrease alcohol consumption are a move in the right direction.

Not decrease alcohol consumption, but shift alcohol consumption.
    That's the end aim.

They will still be spilling out on to the streets come closing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

In Aldi in Germany the cheapest 50cl cans of pils are 29c.

Society hasn't broken down there, with widespread drunkeness and civil disorder.

Their unemployment rate is half ours.

I feel safe on most German streets.

I see people relaxed in parks there, with their 50c-1.00 bottles, no trouble.

The strategy should be: to have effective police to remove any sign of trouble from streets, so that the sensible majority can continue to enjoy affordable beer indoors and outdoors, relaxed.

A Nordic strategy of restrictions is not the way to go.

I'm not familiar with German culture, but I suspect that public drunkeness is frowned upon. They love their beer, of course. Are there hordes of German citizens roaring, shouting, staggering, puking and pissing in the streets during Oktoberfest, for example?

Social behaviour is an important factor, as is the quantity of alcohol consumed on any one occasion.

The "sensible majority" theory doesn't hold up, I'm afraid. It's a favourite claim of the drinks industry, who would like us to believe that there are two entirely separate sets of drinkers, and that only those people who drink huge amounts and get into all sorts of trouble should be targeted for public policy interventions. That's not the way it works: there is a relationship between the average amount consumed by the entire population and the amount consumed by heavy drinkers. To reduce heavy drinking in a population you have to introduce measures which affect the behaviour of the entire population but which affect heavy drinkers more. That's why price, availability and marketing are regarded as key factors to be regulated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not decrease alcohol consumption, but shift alcohol consumption.
    That's the end aim.

They will still be spilling out on to the streets come closing time.

Increasing the price, by shifting drinking to more expensive venues, will decrease consumption.

At the same time, we need to be teaching people not to be uncivlized boors, and to stop making excuses for unacceptable behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Geuze wrote: »
    In Aldi in Germany the cheapest 50cl cans of pils are 29c.

Society hasn't broken down there, with widespread drunkeness and civil disorder.

Their unemployment rate is half ours.

I feel safe on most German streets.

I see people relaxed in parks there, with their 50c-1.00 bottles, no trouble.

The strategy should be: to have effective police to remove any sign of trouble from streets, so that the sensible majority can continue to enjoy affordable beer indoors and outdoors, relaxed.

A Nordic strategy of restrictions is not the way to go.

I worked in Germany as a student and still go back from time to time. I worked in a Caterpillar plant (Zeppelin). They maintained, dismantled and refurbished bulldozers, big bulldozers the kind you see on airport and motorway projects. There would be large, heavy, sharp pieces of steel hanging off overhead trackways going from workshop to workshop.

In each of these workshops there was a drinks vending machine with bottles.
    Bottles of coke
    Bottles of fanta
    Bottles of lemon
    And
    Bottles of beer

The lads were entitled to have a beer or two on their break or with lunch. Anyone who took a beer was expected to "hold it". After their beer they went back to working with the large sharp pieces of metal.

Nobody changed personality, nobody turned into a dick.

The problem in this country is we like to use alcohol as an excuse for behaviours that have nothing to do with the beer.

Banning beer in certain places does nothing to change the "need" or "desire" for those behaviours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Increasing the price of drink to fight "civil disorder" is like increasing the price of petrol to fight speeding on the roads.

Drink does not equal civil disorder. They should be cracking down on those involved in "civil disorder" directly and allow everyone else to enjoy a social drink.

"Alcohol strategy" by dry sh1tes to pander to a few other dry sh1tes.

In each of these workshops there was a drinks vending machine with bottles.
    Bottles of coke
    Bottles of fanta
    Bottles of lemon
    And
    Bottles of beer
    The lads were entitled to have a beer or two on their break or with lunch. Anyone who took a beer was expected to "hold it". After their beer they went back to working with the large sharp pieces of metal.

Nobody changed personality, nobody turned into a dick.

The problem in this country is we like to use alcohol as an excuse for behaviours that have nothing to do with the beer.

Banning beer in certain places does nothing to change the "need" or "desire" for those behaviours.

Only one of those beverages in the vending machine can be regarded as 'no ordinary commodity'.

Alcohol is a potential causal factor in workplace accidents, as it is in other settings.

The general aim of restrictions on alcohol is not to prohibit but to protect. Perhaps the problem in this country is that alcohol consumption is associated with certain behaviours, which get out of hand when inebriation occurs. When was the last time anyone in Ireland was hassled or assaulted by some oaf who had drunk too much Fanta?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Alcohol consumption has been dropping for over a decade. This is nothing but the same ol' VFI guff they come out with every few months. Remember kids, drinking isn't a problem as long as your handing the money over to the barman.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Is there really a major problem with drink fuelled anti social behaviour in Galway? I'll admit me and my friends do loads of outdoor drinking in the city when the weather is fine. We don't cause trouble or leave our empties on the ground and we've never had any bother from the Gardaí or anyone else. I think in general the Gardaí have a fairly common sense attitude towards it, if you aren't being a dick they leave you alone. There is absolutely no point in the Gardaí hassling a bunch of middle class 20 somethings having a few cans down the Spanish arch on a sunny saturday evening as long as they can behave themselves and not leave a mess.

I don't think more laws and restrictions are what's needed. I'd be in favour of an education based approach that starts in schools at a young age, and not just for alcohol but all drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

MadYaker wrote: »
    There is absolutely no point in the Gardaí hassling a bunch of middle class 20 somethings having a few cans down the Spanish arch on a sunny saturday evening as long as they can behave themselves and not leave a mess.

I've been moved on from there a few times when it's just me and a friend or two. It's really overly zealous, fostering an attitude that alcohol is only to be drank at home and in approved licenced premises.

I have no problem with them stopping anti-social drinkers, or people likely to fight/hurt themselves but a couple people at the sparch on a sunny day is ridiculous.

c_man wrote: »
    Alcohol consumption has been dropping for over a decade. This is nothing but the same ol' VFI guff they come out with every few months. Remember kids, drinking isn't a problem as long as your handing the money over to the barman.

I thinks it's also worth noting that the Purple Flag, which Galway City Council seems to think is a great achievement, is an elaborate marketing stunt sponsored by Diageo. Perhaps it's no coincidence that the Purple Flag is flying over the Sparch.

Are Peter Keane's bylaws on zero tolerance on alcohol imbibing in a public place not being enforced?
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/uploads/downloads/bye_laws/03-12-2015%20Liquor%20in%20Public%20Places%20Bye-Laws%202015.pdf

There were hundreds+ of alcohol imbibers over the weekend along the Corrib estuary & Salthill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

Perhaps you should contact him directly and see what he says?

[email]peter@<snip>.ie[/email] Mod - No mails posted in this forum please, point to a page instead

swine wrote: »
    Perhaps you should contact him directly and see what he says? xxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.ie
    I resemble that remark :D
    It's up to the wardens & gardaí to enforce it - is it being enforced?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

snubbleste wrote: »
    Are Peter Keane's bylaws on zero tolerance on alcohol imbibing in a public place not being enforced?
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/uploads/downloads/bye_laws/03-12-2015%20Liquor%20in%20Public%20Places%20Bye-Laws%202015.pdf

There were hundreds+ of alcohol imbibers over the weekend along the Corrib estuary & Salthill.

Are these laws now in place?

Out training last Fri morn and Passed by about 30 young ones at 7am under QCB firing/smashing bottles around the place ugly enough scenes .

Tis shocking.
    Citizens openly imbibing alcohol in public spaces all over the place. Where is the outrage from the majority of Councillors who voted for it in 2015?

snubbleste wrote: »
    Tis shocking.
    Citizens openly imbibing alcohol in public spaces all over the place. Where is the outrage from the majority of Councillors who voted for it in 2015?

Go and buy a few cans and enjoy the sun and never mind complaining about people having a few drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

My alcohol strategy is getting to the offy before 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

one of those cases where 90% of people can be trusted to drink, dispose of thgeir litter and not be a nuisance in a public area.

But those 10% run it for everyone. Sames as the gob****es that stumble out of a pub at 2am and smash any glass they see, then empty a wheelie bin for good measure.

Alcohols not the problem its the fact that these people are incosiderate c*nts deep down. Just to much of a pussy to do what they do sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

empacher wrote: »
    one of those cases where 90% of people can be trusted to drink, dispose of thgeir litter and not be a nuisance in a public area.

But those 10% run it for everyone. Sames as the gob****es that stumble out of a pub at 2am and smash any glass they see, then empty a wheelie bin for good measure.

Alcohols not the problem its the fact that these people are incosiderate c*nts deep down. Just to much of a pussy to do what they do sober.

It's the old adage.. 'Some people just shouldn't drink'

For what it's worth, I've seen little to no bother or messiness during this lovely stretch of fine weather, and I've been down the Spanish Arch area pretty much every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

MadYaker wrote: »
    Is there really a major problem with drink fuelled anti social behaviour in Galway?
    Outsiders may think so. I remember when I came home to Galway after spending 2 months traveling around Europe, it was about 1am and it was like they'd announced the world was ending tomorrow and every just went nuts. I didn't realise how crazy Galway gets till I spent some time away in other countries.

There wasn't even loads of fighting or anything, just people absolutely hammered drunk everywhere. Women passed out in the streets and people getting sick everywhere.

I didn't experience anything like it anywhere else in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

ScumLord wrote: »

I didn't experience anything like it anywhere else in Europe.

That's cos the police are bit merry, and so are on the same wavelength, they just tell the yoof what pub to head to that's good craic

They were wearing body armour and carrying weapons as they sipped from beer and wine bottles.

Didier Mangione, national secretary of the police union, said bosses were "trying to turn us into priests, but without the altar wine".

"Nobody should object to a small drink on jobs," he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/8466446/French-riot-police-threaten-to-strike-over-alcohol-ban.html

Advertisement