Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol strategy

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They were people imbibing alcohol all around SpanishArch, river bank, Raven's Terrace last night.
    Garda chose not to enforce it.
    Tis a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

The seagulls do enough enforcing... They're a terror since they got the beak for Buckfast... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The seagulls do enough enforcing... They're a terror since they got the beak for Buckfast... :pac:

Beakfast??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Jesus... I deserved that one...

3a3fba0b9cead5160f14541157ef993f.jpg

I was having a few sociable cans with friends down at Woodquay, by the water, on one of the sunnier days. We weren't causing harm and just enjoying the sunshine. Next a couple of bicycle Gardaí come down and move on some teenagers (there must have been dozens of them!), but they didn't say anything to my friends and I.

This should be the alcohol strategy - not to have a carpet ban on it, because we all know what occurred during Prohibition era America, but instead to monitor it better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

This should be the alcohol strategy - not to have a carpet ban on it, because we all know what occurred during Prohibition era America, but instead to monitor it better.
    Jesus, the last thing we need is a resurgence in jazz.

I bags being Al Capone.

Robbo wrote: »
    Jesus, the last thing we need is a resurgence in jazz.
    https://twitter.com/DiscoverGalway/status/748451753738248192

Turns out that the Garda cannot enforce the byelaws
    because
    because
    because the Council have not given them the proper notebooks. http://connachttribune.ie/gardai-have-no-notebooks-to-impose-street-drinking-fines-043/

Ah what silliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Woohoo! Happy days for us street drinkers so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,442 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

That's mad Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It's the old adage.. 'Some people just shouldn't drink'

For what it's worth, I've seen little to no bother or messiness during this lovely stretch of fine weather, and I've been down the Spanish Arch area pretty much every day.

Was there during a good stretch of weather. The state of the Spanish Arch in the mornings was pretty bad. I brought my brother in-law over. The people in the town treat it like a dump.

Why not bring the litter with you. The empty cans are lighter than the full cans! They brought them to the Spanish Arch in the first place. Laziness and spoiled brat behavior.

Don't even get me started on the rubbish that ends up in the water. There's more Buckfast bottles in the water than swans!

Chief Superintendent Tom Curley says street drinking remains a serious problem in the city, with ‘van loads’ of drink seized every week.
    Van loads of drink...where does it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Whenever the spanish arch is covered with cans and bottles the bins are also full to over flowing. If there was more bins people would use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

ScumLord wrote: »
    Outsiders may think so. I remember when I came home to Galway after spending 2 months traveling around Europe, it was about 1am and it was like they'd announced the world was ending tomorrow and every just went nuts. I didn't realise how crazy Galway gets till I spent some time away in other countries.

There wasn't even loads of fighting or anything, just people absolutely hammered drunk everywhere. Women passed out in the streets and people getting sick everywhere.

I didn't experience anything like it anywhere else in Europe.

You must have skipped the entire UK and Poland so.

Advertisement