Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest way to Croke Park

Options
  • 27-07-2015 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi

I am heading from Fermanagh to Croke Park on Sunday.

I have used Ashtown Dart train station to get to the Aviva in the past. Is this worth doing and where is the nearest Dart to Croke Park that will be operational on Sunday

The alternatives are parking at M3 Parkway Train station and taking the train

Or just parking near Croke Park which I am not too pushed on - heard stories of clamping or theft but may be exagerated

Anyone give me advice on this

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

The nearest station to Croke Park is Drumcondra, which is on the same commuter rail line (not Dart line) as Ashtown and the M3 parkway. Station is at the top of Clonliffe Rd, near Quinns pub.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't park near Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

Thanks for the advice - do all trains stop at Drumcondra station on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

eamonpk wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice - do all trains stop at Drumcondra station on Sunday?

I'd say so, any that stop in Ashtown would have to stop in Drumcondra on the way to Connolly - it's only 2 stops away - you have Broombridge and then Drumcondra. The only think to bear in mind is on Sundays they are fairly infrequent - usually one an hour or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

gipi wrote: »
    The nearest station to Croke Park is Drumcondra, which is on the same commuter rail line (not Dart line) as Ashtown and the M3 parkway. Station is at the top of Clonliffe Rd, near Quinns pub.

Don't think it's on the same line? Don't you have to get off at Clonsilla?

The M3 rail ends at the Docks which isn't that far a walk from Croker either.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Practice!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Further you stay out of town the better. You can go from M3 to Drumcondra but will have to change at Clonsilla and hop on the train coming from Maynooth.

Looking at the time table for Sunday there are trains on the hour @ 38 mins from M3, journey time is 35 mins including switch over at Clonsilla.

http://www.irishrail.ie/
    Inputs M3, Drumcondra, 02.08.2015

Thanks for that - I see that there is only one trains every hour for both - 12.06 13.06 etc from Ashtown and 12.38 13.38 etc from M3 Parkway - I thought they might be a bit more frequent

Anyone suggest which is the handiest to get to/safest for car etc - Ashtown or M3 Parkway.

Thanks again

And neither Ashtown or M3 Parkway appear to go to Docklands using the irishrail.ie website

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

And neither Ashtown or M3 Parkway appear to go to Docklands using the irishrail.ie website

Docklands station doesn't open at the weekend. Why do you want to go to Docklands- you would have a 30 min walk back to Croker, Drumcondra is right beside it

Not sure what Ashtown is like on match days but you are likely to get delayed on way into car park and have to pay if there is even parking. M3 is massive & Free parking and there will be spaces but of course it will depend on your approach to Dublin. There is no security as such but have not heard of any cars being broken into and I park at M3 every day

• Advertisement

Looks like it is the M3 Parkway then - I parked near apartments 5 minutes walk from Ashtown when going to the Aviva for last Euro match but it was a bit awkward but will give the M3 Parkway a try on Sunday

I am coming in on the M3 from Navan direction so I am presuming the M3 Parkway isnt too far or awkward from the M3

Looks like it is the M3 Parkway then - I parked near apartments 5 minutes walk from Ashtown when going to the Aviva for last Euro match but it was a bit awkward but will give the M3 Parkway a try on Sunday

I am coming in on the M3 from Navan direction so I am presuming the M3 Parkway isnt too far or awkward from the M3

It's right off it after the toll. Loads of parking. Fairly sure it's free.

Drumcondra is the ideal station but Docklands is no more a 30 minute walk from Croker. 15 minutes more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If you get the train from M3 parkway, you get off at Clonsilla, about 4 stops from M3. Then you hop on the train coming from Maynooth which stops at Clonsilla. Very straight forward. I did it last weekend myself for Ed Sheeran.

Parking is free at M3 too. Drumcondra is right beside Croke Park. Just a couple of mins walk down to it.

M3 Parkway sounds pretty handy - pity there wasnt more than 1 train per hour

Unfortunately it more than meets demand. I had to use it regularly about 2 years ago and I was often the only one in a carriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Don't think it's on the same line? Don't you have to get off at Clonsilla?

The M3 rail ends at the Docks which isn't that far a walk from Croker either.

You're correct - my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Eh there is, there is one every half hour nearly. Some times are every hour but there are a good few every half hour or so.

andreac wrote: »
    Eh there is, there is one every half hour nearly. Some times are every hour but there are a good few every half hour or so.

Thanks andreac but I am heading to the match on Sunday and I think that is why the number of trains are reduced. According to irishrail.ie the trains from M3 Parkway are at 12:38, 13:38, 14:38, 15:38 etc
    Likewise after the match the trains are only every hour 16:54, 17:56, 18:54, 19:54. I'm presuming that they won't put on extra trains for match day?

On irishrail.ie I have checked Ashtown to Drumcondra and that has about 2 trains per hour but the last time I used Ashtown station to get to the Aviva it was a bit awkward to get to and traffic was fairly heavy

Thanks
    Eamon

Advertisement