Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House RCD won't reset -

Options
  • 27-07-2015 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

The electricity went in my house today, the toaster was the only thing in use at the time.

None of the mcd's were tripped, just the rcd. I've unplugged everything in the house but still can't get the RCD reset.

Searched the web but didn't find anything of use. Could really do with some boards help.

Don't fancy calling out a sparks if it's a simple fix.
    What do you suggest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

1 make sure immersion is turned off
    2 see does it reset now

3 if it doesn't turn turn off all socket mcb
    4 see does it reset now

5 if it does then turn all socket mcb one by one until the faulty circuit trips the rcd

6 if none of above work then unplug everything in the house and try resetting rcd

Make sure immersion is turned off.

Just looked at pic now

Pull the rcd switch firmly down first
    This will reset and then push back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

meercat wrote: »
    Just looked at pic now

Pull the rcd switch firmly down first
    This will reset and then push back up.

Meercat, you mentioned the magic word there - "firmly". I was a bit of a light touch with it early but got it reset now.
    I'll go through the process of elimination now to see what triggered it.

I'm such a tool.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

meercat wrote: »
    1 make sure immersion is turned off
    2 see does it reset now

3 if it doesn't turn turn off all socket mcb
    4 see does it reset now

5 if it does then turn all socket mcb one by one until the faulty circuit trips the rcd

6 if none of above work then unplug everything in the house and try resetting rcd

Make sure immersion is turned off.

If there is a neutral/earth fault on a circuit then opening a single pole MCB won't clear the fault.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    If there is a neutral/earth fault on a circuit then opening a single pole MCB won't clear the fault.

thanks for that
    all the information posted(including unplugging the appliances)should help the op in identifying the problem

• Advertisement
Advertisement