Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veterinary nursing

Options
  • 27-07-2015 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello all,

I've been offered a place in AIT for Veterinary Nursing as a mature student. I'm wondering will I have to dissect animals at any point in the course?

Thanks ðŸ‘

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 karina19

im going in to my second year and so far we havent dissedted animals and wont be either cuz you dont do any other subjects bar anatomy that would allow yeh te do that....but we have had to disect kidneys hearts livers and weve had to look at the digestive tract of sheep and more.... its actually quite interesting youll enjoy it

Aoife... wrote: »
    Hello all,

I've been offered a place in AIT for Veterinary Nursing as a mature student. I'm wondering will I have to dissect animals at any point in the course?

Thanks ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TessaG

Hi, i have been offered a place on this course too and also the level 8 in UCD. At the moment I am leaning towards AIT as I hear it is a more practical based course compared to the level 8. I was wondering if you knew anything about this other course in UCD compared to the one in AIT? I have to decide by next week so would you have any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Hi Tessa the main advantage I can think of in doing the UCD course would be the opportunity to see practice in the UCD vet hospital because there is no other place like it in Ireland. Maybe you could ask in the UCD forum about it? There are quite a few vet nurses on boards.
    I did my course in AIT though and I was very happy with it and it has a good reputation. You'll also be qualified in 3 years rather than 4, but you will still have an option to do an add on degree if you want to finish with a level 8 qualification like UCD. In my experience though, employers won't care whether your degree is level 7 or 8, so long as you are qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 karina19

hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew about the resit exams. i failed my anatomy exam and am resitting it next week but was just wondering if i fail it again can i carry it into second year or will i have to repeat first year... am just abit nervous about it.

Probably best to talk to your lecturer. Is it the practical or the written?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭kanoute696

Hi Tessa the main advantage I can think of in doing the UCD course would be the opportunity to see practice in the UCD vet hospital because there is no other place like it in Ireland. Maybe you could ask in the UCD forum about it? There are quite a few vet nurses on boards.
    I did my course in AIT though and I was very happy with it and it has a good reputation. You'll also be qualified in 3 years rather than 4, but you will still have an option to do an add on degree if you want to finish with a level 8 qualification like UCD. In my experience though, employers won't care whether your degree is level 7 or 8, so long as you are qualified.

hi - am wondering if after your 3 years, is the option to do the level 8 add-on degree available in AIT and if its one year?. Can you do this add on degree in UCD and is it one extra year?. There is very little written about this anywhere.

Thanks in advance,

Hi Kanoute,

The UCD programme is 4 years so you wouldn't be able to join in for the 4th year if that's what you mean? I don't think universities offer add on degrees because their awards are all level 8 anyway as far as I know.
    The add on I did in AIT was the veterinary practice management one and I think they have now decided to offer this on a part time rather than a full time basis so people can work and study at the same time. There is still another full time add on course in bioscience available to veterinary nurses and a lot of my classmates chose that one instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭kanoute696

Hi Kanoute,

The UCD programme is 4 years so you wouldn't be able to join in for the 4th year if that's what you mean? I don't think universities offer add on degrees because their awards are all level 8 anyway as far as I know.
    The add on I did in AIT was the veterinary practice management one and I think they have now decided to offer this on a part time rather than a full time basis so people can work and study at the same time. There is still another full time add on course in bioscience available to veterinary nurses and a lot of my classmates chose that one instead.

really appreciate this information, Thank you.

Advertisement