Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

domestic rider banned for steroid abuse

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Ego, stupidity, very minor glory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

I'd say his butcher was fit to kill him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

In an A2/A3 race ..... what a gobsh*te!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Dogs on the street knew about this at the time. Wonder why it was never announced back when it happened. Why the delay.

Stupid move anyway from the guy.
    sullzz wrote: »
    Not sure what to make out of it to be honest.
    Why bother ?
    Why risk the embarrassment ?
    What had he to gain ?
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-rider-banned-for-four-years-after-positive-test-for-steroids/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

cyclists...drugs! Moving on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

There needs to be some/more testing in elite Irish racing, especially pre-Ras.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'd say his butcher was fit to kill him :D

I must ask him, I'm fairly sure we share the same butcher.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Brian? wrote: »
    I must ask him, I'm fairly sure we share the same butcher.

Me too , the meat hasn't made me any better of a cyclist .

Me too , the meat hasn't made me any better of a cyclist .

I'm wondering how bad I'd be if I switched butchers. Doesn't bear thinking about.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

So the delay was an FSA investigation into the Irish beef industry..... jaysus. I presume the butcher involved has grounds to sue? Kelly must have spent some money on the whole sorry saga and might well spend more on the appeal.

Funny (or sad thing) is, plenty will still spend their cash in his shop, including many who knew what happened!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

So.......eating imported meat will make me go faster. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

velo.2010 wrote: »
    So the delay was an FSA investigation into the Irish beef industry..... jaysus. I presume the butcher involved has grounds to sue? Kelly must have spent some money on the whole sorry saga and might well spend more on the appeal.

Funny (or sad thing) is, plenty will still spend their cash in his shop, including many who knew what happened!

Over a year from provisional suspension to announcement - not sure that it couldn't have been announced last June. Seems odd to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

So, does this mean that Robin Seymour won the Time Trial at the Gorey 3 day in 2014?

Over a year from provisional suspension to announcement - not sure that it couldn't have been announced last June. Seems odd to me.

I imagine,it was because of the extensive investigation, that had to be carried out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Had heard about the positive test back about June of last year but had heard a different name from multiple different sources. Looking back I should have copped who it was as had wondered why Kelly had suddenly stopped racing even the Mondello series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Eamonnator wrote: »
    So, does this mean that Robin Seymour won the Time Trial at the Gorey 3 day in 2014?

Yes, I believe so, must double check the results..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I was away in a break with him in a race a couple of weeks before that. He nearly killed me! I finished fourth so was denied a spot on the podium.

I think we can all agree that I am the biggest loser in this sorry mess ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

What the f**k was going through his head! Pro riders doping to keep a career alive I get(but don't condone) but a mickey mouse sunday race that will win you €100 is pure lunacy!

I was away in a break with him in a race a couple of weeks before that. He nearly killed me! I finished fourth so was denied a spot on the podium.

I think we can all agree that I am the biggest loser in this sorry mess ;)

Jointly with Robin Seymour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

how mould it have cost to dope? idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

Having spent the last 3 weeks defending pro-cycling from the "sure they're all at.." GAA and rugby brigade in work , I'm facing into a a week of having to deal with this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

midonogh wrote: »
    Having spent the last 3 weeks defending pro-cycling from the "sure they're all at.." GAA and rugby brigade in work , I'm facing into a a week of having to deal with this.

i doubt this will go main stream. Will it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

godtabh wrote: »

It was on NewsTalk sports program earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tis all over the papers. Steroids abuse in what people would consider a fun cycle event. Gots tabloid all over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The idiot was obviously not familiar with the Irish Food Industry. When he made his claims even if the cycling authorities didn't investigate further the FSAI certainly would and they would have uncovered the truth anyway.

Is the Irish Independent mainstream?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/irish-cyclist-hit-with-fouryear-ban-for-doping-31407771.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The Journal is where I saw it first, main section too, not The 42 Sports section.

• Advertisement

He's a bigger idiot than I thought. He has damaged the reputation of irish cycling with his actions.

I still dont get his motives. If he was racing for €100. Why risk so much for so little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭531

Don't tell them!

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

Seems strange there are drugs test done at this level anyway. Is this the norm in A2/3 races?

Seems strange there are drugs test done at this level anyway. Is this the norm in A2/3 races?

detones wrote: »

CI regularly do spot checks after road races/stages from what I have seen..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

He's a bigger idiot than I thought. He has damaged the reputation of irish cycling with his actions.

I still dont get his motives. If he was racing for €100. Why risk so much for so little

Maybe it's not about the money.

• Advertisement

Only in UCI ranking ones no? Isn't the Gorey a UCI ranked race along with Ras Mumhan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Maybe it's not about the money.

it cant be about the bragging rights, if it was stay in A3 and hammer everybody week in week out and be clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

You'd do better explaining to them the meaning of irony.

i love the way sports fans can compartmentalise doping and fool themselves into thinking their favoured sport is clean while all the cheats hang out in cycling and athletics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Can he still do the Wicklow 200? :)

Why bother?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    CI regularly do spot checks after road races/stages from what I have seen..

I can't say I've ever seen or heard of them testing at any lower level (A4, A3, A2) events since I started racing a few years ago other than Gorey 2014.

They can obviously tell by my results that either I'm clean or I'm taking nothing they need to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Irish Sports Council conduct random drug teating at triathlon events across all levels.

Any triathlon held in the county can be subject to testing.

Regardless of the stupidity of doping there will always be people too lazy to train harder who shortcut to 'glory'.

Sure look at the lads with 7k bikes that are lighter than everyone else. Majority of the lads on them could gain more by losing a stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If CI jumped on this they could spin it positively - that they take doping so seriously that not only do they check at the elite levels, but also lower down the rankings to discourage it at all levels and not let it get ingrained into the culture of the sport.

If someone has been doping since they started racing, they're going to fight to keep that competitive edge when they get to the A0 level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

There's hardly any testing at all in domestic racing as far as I have seen. In fairness there shouldn't be any need for it. The mind boggles as to why anyone would dope to win an amateur race. It can't be for the money and I can't see that there would be any sense of achievement.

Isn't clenbuterol more of a weight loss drug anyway. Think I recall from my distant past when I was into weightlifting that lads used it for cutting. To get any benefit from this it would have to have been used systematically over a long period training. Seems a bit sophisticated for amature race. Dosnt' really add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

He was 'hefty' when he came back to the sport so that might explain why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Isn't clenbuterol more of a weight loss drug anyway. Think I recall from my distant past when I was into weightlifting that lads used it for cutting. To get any benefit from this it would have to have been used systematically over a long period training. Seems a bit sophisticated for amature race. Dosnt' really add up.

Doesn't it mask other drugs?

Cleanbuterol allows you to drop far and add muscle at the same time, I think. The holy grail of weight loss.

It's be fierce handy in prepping for a race. If you're completely amoral, which may well apply to this lad.

Is there a chance suspicions were raised about him, which leg to the drug test?

they/them/theirs

Its cheaper than I thought it is

http://supplementsdublin.com/shop/balkan-pharmaceuticals/clenbuterol-40ng/

but some one suggested that you would need to be on it for a long time. I wonder what kind of side effects it causes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

Its cheaper than I thought it is

http://supplementsdublin.com/shop/balkan-pharmaceuticals/clenbuterol-40ng/

but some one suggested that you would need to be on it for a long time. I wonder what kind of side effects it causes?

insomnia and jitters (i just looked it up):P

• Advertisement
Advertisement