Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension transfer and social welfare claim

Options
  • 27-07-2015 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I have just accepted voluntary redundancy. I provided all relevant paperwork to Social Welfare. I also have a pension with the Company I worked with, and I want to put this out of reach for myself, so that I will be unable to touch my money until I am closer to retirement age in a few years time. In other words I will be cashing in the pension amount and transferring it to a similar type fund in the bank (something like an investment policy). If this money is tied up, so that I am unable to access it, will it affect my social welfare claim. It would be tied up for 5 years. Would I be correct in thinking that this would only impact on a social welfare claim, if I am still unemployed at the end of this 5 year period? Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Money held in investment accounts rather than pension acc`s is likely to be classed as savings if you are means tested for JSA ect.

Advertisement