Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking i7 960

Options
  • 27-07-2015 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I have an alienware area 51 ALx.

Now that ive the gpu all sorted and happy, I am trying to squeeze more from my fav machine without it exploding.

So ive turned my attention to overclocking...

It was at 3.2 but I wanted to increase that so...

i changed the CPU BCK1 from 133 to 150 and increased the voltage to from 1.10 to 1.25.
    and increased the other yoke to +40 (above default)

I am now getting speed of 3.76. Although Intel Cores are hovering around 80C.

Was using the intel extreme tuning utility for benchmarking.

This seem okay to people or am I going to help my alienware explode?

Once again, thank you for your help you amazing bunch of people :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

If that 80C is at idle, you need to reduce it fairly sharpish. If 80C is under load, you are probably fine. I haven't really touched overclocking yet but everyone seems to advise using Prime95 for load testing your CPU after overclocking to ensure it is stable and the temps don't go through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Xenoronin wrote: »
    If that 80C is at idle, you need to reduce it fairly sharpish. If 80C is under load, you are probably fine. I haven't really touched overclocking yet but everyone seems to advise using Prime95 for load testing your CPU after overclocking to ensure it is stable and the temps don't go through the roof.

He's using another benhmark so he's fine. Op seems he's overclocking fine, I would recommend repasting his GPU if he hasn't yet, for optimal thermals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Ah awesome. Hadn't heard of the Intel software so wasn't sure if it was just for tweaking numbers. Looking now it does have a stress test built into it :)
    If you are still using the stock cooler this would be a good budget cooler to make sure you keep those temps under control.
    https://skinflint.co.uk/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-a684731.html?hloc=uk
    Scan, overclockers, amazon are all good choices from here.
    It will fit your 1366 CPU socket just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Cheers for the replies. Might throttle back a bit. Was trying prime95. After 2 hours it restarts. So might take it down a lil bit.

Wil get some thermal paste. Current pasting has gone green/yellowish.

Advertisement