Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID Mobile - Closing down April 6th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Getting 24Mb download, 11Mb upload with a 47ms ping sitting here in my bedroom. I normally get only a couple of megs using WiFi as my room is on the third floor so the WiFi signal is pretty weak so I'm very happy with those 4G speeds.

I've a similar sitch as you. I am in the attic.

18.71 DL
    19.56 UL
    41ms

Wow

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've a similar sitch as you. I am in the attic.

18.71 DL
    19.56 UL
    41ms

Wow
    Getting 24Mb download, 11Mb upload with a 47ms ping sitting here in my bedroom. I normally get only a couple of megs using WiFi as my room is on the third floor so the WiFi signal is pretty weak so I'm very happy with those 4G speeds.

Just remember to be careful with this. At these speeds you could blow through your 20GB cap in just 2 hours!!

That is why 4G's speeds are sort of irrelevant when you have such small caps. You guys would probably be better off improving the quality of your wifi, to get more out of your wired broadband which is usually unlimited.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

bk wrote: »
    Just remember to be careful with this. At these speeds you could blow through your 20GB cap in just 2 hours!!

That is why 4G's speeds are sort of irrelevant when you have such small caps. You guys would probably be better off improving the quality of your wifi, to get more out of your wired broadband which is usually unlimited.

I've already set my phone to warn me at 15GBs and stop mobile data at 18GBs. I don't think I'll even come close to the 20GBs as I normally just use it for browsing, streaming music and a few youtube videos. Up until now I've had only 1GB allowance and I always kept under that with no issues. Cheers for the heads up all the same.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

For the last 3 yrs I had 15gb limits on Emobile plans I was on, most months I'd use between 2.5 and 3gb, I switched to a 4G plan which has a 5gb cap now, within 2 weeks I had used over 3gb used so I concur with what bk is saying, Atleast ive loads of a buffer with the 20gb iDMobile data plan now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

I registered Tuesday evening and not even had an email back from them yet, anyone else waiting over 48 hours for an email??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yup, there are a few things about 4G which may cause people to use way faster then they are normally used to.

1) Videos from youtube, etc. may start streaming in HD, instead of SD as they now see the greater bandwidth available. That means you could use almost 10 times the data watching the same video on 4G then if you watched it on 3G.

2) 4G has much lower latency (pings), this will mean webpages will load much faster and the web will in general feel faster. This may cause people to do a lot more surfing on their phones.

Just FYI, so that people are careful.

AlmightyCushion, great idea to set your phone to monitor your data usage and notify you when coming near your cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Quadrature

Actually, as the networks become better in terms of moving towards all IP technology, ping times on 3G and even EDGE should also improve.

3's spending €300m on a new platform from Nokia Networks that moves the combined networks over to a much more modern platform that should improve things a lot. The downside is it's going to take until 2017 to be fully complete!

I'm not all that impressed with iD mobile's price plans. I was expecting something more radical, but I guess MVNOs are stuck with what they can buy from the host networks.

Quadrature wrote: »
    Actually, as the networks become better in terms of moving towards all IP technology, ping times on 3G and even EDGE should also improve.

Yup and as people move off 3G to 4G, that should free up more capacity on the 3G frequencies for people stuck with older 3G only phones.

So rather having 100 people sharing he same 3G frequency on a mast, we will end up with 50 people sharing 3G and 50 people sharing the 4G frequencies, thus increasing the capacity available to all.

bk wrote: »

Cheerrs for that heads up.

Since yesterday about 4pm until now (815am) my phone is saying I have used 255MB. That would give about 8GB usage over the month as well.

Naturally I'll use it more now, but I have set data usage limits (as I always did even with my Emobile contract of 15GB pm)

Proper usage on 4G didn't really start until 7pm last night when I got home as my office is in a blackspot and I can only get EGPRS.

I didn't do anything out of the ordinary either. Also battery usage is no different from what I can make out as well. So that's great.

Can someone confirm if they have managed to get iMessage and FaceTime working with their iDMobile number please. customer service just told me that there is an issue with these in the iPhone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Quadrature

Quite possible that iD needs to ensure that Apple's activation number is clear to text.

iPhones send an activation text (silently) to get iMessage up and running with your mobile number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eimearclerkin

How long did it take everyone to get the email? I understand there is a backlog on registering everyone..but just want a rough estimate. Cheers

I registered Tuesday evening and not even had an email back from them yet, anyone else waiting over 48 hours for an email??
    How long did it take everyone to get the email? I understand there is a backlog on registering everyone..but just want a rough estimate. Cheers

I registered my Friends and Family sim on Wednesday morning at 10am (ish) and received an email yesterday (Thursday) at 15:39.

I was a ported (from eMobile) ID customer by 16:15.

I signed up two sims around 7pm on Wednesday, got the two emails shortly after midday today.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

I signed up for this online; chose a Galaxy S6, built a plan, and reserved it to be collected in store. Went in, went through the entire rigmarole of setting up with them, only at the very end for yer man to say "actually, we need €300 up front", even though on the website it has a slider that allows you to choose how much, if any, cash you want to pay upfront and adjusts your monthly payment accordingly. I had chosen €0 for that part thinking it would just be handier for me to not put any cash up front right now.

To be honest, the whole thing felt like a bit of a scam; going through the entire bulk of the set up process and everything, only to suddenly demand €300 upfront in the hope that people will just stump up the cash at that point anyway? The guy in CW said it was due to a credit check, but why bother having the slider on the website if it's not really worth bothering with anyway? Annoying as hell that I wasted almost an hour in there for nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Every network does a credit check like that. It's only after taking the details, they can find out. It's a deposit rather than an upfront payment for the phone. You would get it back or else have it as credit on your bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

boardzz wrote: »
    Every network does a credit check like that. It's only after taking the details, they can find out. It's a deposit rather than an upfront payment for the phone. You would get it back or else have it as credit on your bill.
    Aye i've had credit checks like that before; it's more the way they went about it that bothered me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,321 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I had chosen €0 for that part thinking it would just be handier for me to not put any cash up front right now.

If you lump up the cash now for the phone you can pick it up for €508 new on amazon.es, otherwise your paying off €699 over 2 years, that's an APR of about 38%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I signed up two sims around 7pm on Wednesday, got the two emails shortly after midday today.

Same here.

Before I get ported across from Three, can someone confirm that my network coverage with ID will be the same as with Three? Important because I'm outside a town and Three was the network with best signal here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭BowWow

Same here.
    Before I get ported across from Three, can someone confirm that my network coverage with ID will be the same as with Three? Important because I'm outside a town and Three was the network with best signal here...

I was on Three, now 2 days on iD, seems to be no different.

• Advertisement

If you lump up the cash now for the phone you can pick it up for €508 new on amazon.es, otherwise your paying off €699 over 2 years, that's an APR of about 38%

Good tip, it is always cheaper to buy a new phone sim free up front and match it with a cheap pay as you go or sim only contract.

If you can't afford the upfront cost, it is still probably better to take out a loan from your bank to pay for it, then pay for it through the phone company.

Though it would normally be better to just buy a phone you can actually afford, then going into debt.

Everything seems fine at home. But around the city centre last night I was "roaming" to beat the band. It's extremely frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

Everything seems fine at home. But around the city centre last night I was "roaming" to beat the band. It's extremely frustrating.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. It doesn't matter what you badge this service or how cheap you make it - it is still based on the Three network which everyone else is leaving because it is banjaxed in many areas since the merger. The Three agents on talk-to-Three even admit that the network build-out is going to take until at least 2017. Best avoid Three and all piggy-back services in the meantime.

bugfreebob wrote: »
    You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. It doesn't matter what you badge this service or how cheap you make it - it is still based on the Three network which everyone else is leaving because it is banjaxed in many areas since the merger. The Three agents on talk-to-Three even admit that the network build-out is going to take until at least 2017. Best avoid Three and all piggy-back services in the meantime.

I'm an ex 3 customer as well and I was prepared for issues but jaysus. The centre of Dublin should be grand you would think.

bugfreebob wrote: »

My wife and kids have been using 48months for well over a year now, I've been with Emobile for last 4 yrs, meteor before that, anyway, here in and around Waterford City and country we have great coverage on both networks, are you saying that by me now switching over to iDMobile I am not going to have at least the same coverage as that of the rest of the house who are all on 48 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

I had pretty poor signal in Waterford city when i was on id, had no 3g (edge mainly) and very poor phone reception. Left it and went back on to meteor as i wasn't prepared for them to get their **** together. To be fair though others have said its ok around the city. All i can say for definite is i was disappointed id ported my number over from meteor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,935 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

funkyouup wrote: »
    I had pretty poor signal in Waterford city when i was on id, had no 3g (edge mainly) and very poor phone reception. Left it and went back on to meteor as i wasn't prepared for them to get their **** together. To be fair though others have said its ok around the city. All i can say for definite is i was disappointed id ported my number over from meteor.

How long did you spend on the id network, you were obviously using it pre-launch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Yea it was prelaunch so theirs a good chance that was a factor, i wasnt told before i signed up it was in some sort of testing stage, i just assumed because it was piggy backing three network that it would be ok. I left it after 5 days, i was after porting my number over and needed it at the time so i just had to leave so i was guaranteed a working phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭crasy dash

I'm in north cork working with a sim and an old unlocked huawei y550.
    I have no 4g even though another member of the household who is on 3 has 4g I'm confused as to y I don't is there a setting I've not put it in or something.
    4g flashes up forva fee secs then returns to h+

Advertisement