Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID Mobile - Closing down April 6th

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

retweet wrote: »
    I was looking at their T&C regarding upgrades, it seems if you want an upgrade early, you can pay off what you owe for your current device and then upgrade to a new device and pay for that every month.

or am I wrong?

It seems so. When you get a phone on contract you're actually paying two monthly fees. One of your usage and one for your phone. The usage monthly cost stays the same regardless of what phone you get. Your phone monthly cost will vary depending on the phone. So, if you want you could just pay off the phone part of the contract whenever you want.

What I'm not sure of is what happens to the usage part of the contract. If you're 6 months into a 24 month contract and you pay off the phone part are you still tied into a contract for the rest of the 24 months for the usage part or does it revert back to a 30 day rolling contract. If it's the latter then there is nothing stopping you get a whole new contract again whenever you choose. If it's the former then they'd probably still let you start off a new contract providing the usage part is at the same price or more expensive than you were on already.

Edit: Just checked their FAQ and seen this:
    Can I change my plan up or down, during the contract period?
    Yes! With iD you can tweak your plan up and down whenever you need a little more or less. Simply call us on 1747 and we'll help pick the minutes, texts and data allowances to suit your needs. Once you make changes to your plan, those changes will come into effect once your current allowances expire (every 30 days for prepay, every calendar month for bill pay).

So the usage part of the contract can be changed at will meaning that upgrading within your contract period should just require you to pay off the phone part of it in full. Saying that it's more than likely just cheaper to buy the phone outright in the first place than pay the monthly charge for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Just ported in today from 3 (used to work for Esat Digifone/Digifone/O2, so I've essentially been on the same network from 1999 and, with iD, I still am today :)).

Coverage obviously the same, but now with 4G.

For anyone reading through the thread, outstanding issues to note are:

MyiD still not working, cust care promise that it will be fixed soon, but I notice that when I try to register on the MyiD iPhone App (downloaded from the Irish iTunes Store), it says that my number is an error because it's not an 11-digit number beginning with 07... (the UK format), so it still needs localisation.

iMessage on iPhones still not working yet, due to Apple's servers not yet recognising the iD network - cust care say their tech dept are liaising with Apple...

Otherwise all is fine, and the Irish-based care team seem friendly and efficient - I got a courtesy call to ensure that the port had gone through and that all was working, so that the ticket could be closed, etc.

I'll post further updates if there's further news.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Type 17 wrote: »
    Just ported in today from 3 (used to work for Esat Digifone/Digifone/O2, so I've essentially been on the same network from 1999 and, with iD, I still am today :)).

Coverage obviously the same, but now with 4G.

For anyone reading through the thread, outstanding issues to note are:

MyiD still not working, cust care promise that it will be fixed soon, but I notice that when I try to register on the MyiD iPhone App (downloaded from the Irish iTunes Store), it says that my number is an error because it's not an 11-digit number beginning with 07... (the UK format), so it still needs localisation.

iMessage on iPhones still not working yet, due to Apple's servers not yet recognising the iD network - cust care say their tech dept are liaising with Apple...

Otherwise all is fine, and the Irish-based care team seem friendly and efficient - I got a courtesy call to ensure that the port had gone through and that all was working, so that the ticket could be closed, etc.

I'll post further updates if there's further news.

I've both iMessage and FaceTime working on my iPhone 6 with iDMobile

Yes, herself in cust care did say that it worked for some people, but not for others - currently, it only works for me (iPhone 6 Plus) if I send to people's AppleID, rather than their phone numbers, and they need to to send to my AppleID too.

Type 17 wrote: »
    Yes, herself in cust care did say that it worked for some people, but not for others - currently, it only works for me (iPhone 6 Plus) if I send to people's AppleID, rather than their phone numbers, and they need to to send to my AppleID too.

Seems strange alright that it works for some and not others, another niggling issue that I have if if I get a call while on LTE it drops back to 3G which is fine, same used to happen on Emobile for me, but I find it can sometimes take ages to switch back to LTE, sometimes I actually have to do airplane mode and then it comes back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

What's lte mode lads?

I may have a solution for the iMessage issue - I grabbed my wife's iPhone (still on 3) and sent and received a few iMessages between our devices with success, using our AppleIDs. Then I sent iMessages to the mobile numbers with success. I started a new conversation for these mobile number messages - not sure if that was the key, but I wanted to be sure. I started the test on wi-fi, but it still worked through the mobile networks.
    We'll see if it still works tomorrow (server timeouts?), and if it works from my iD phone to other iPhones that I haven't "prepared" by sending to the owner's AppleID first.

Edit, next day: iMessage still working fine, and it worked when I sent an iMessage to a work colleague's iPhone using his phone number. His reply got sent back as an iMessage too.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What's lte mode lads?

LTE = 4G

Officially, it stands for Long Term Evolution.

IOS devices show the letters LTE, rather than 4G, beside the signal bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Thanks for that I'll be porting my number over soon on iPhone sounds better now then previously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I'm having a not so good experience right now, porting was done in 5 minutes but now I have trouble.

For some reason I only get 3G data network (H or H+) with the phone set to highest connection speed 4G with 0.98 Mbps down/0.92 Mbps up.

If I modify the phone to highest connection speed with "4G only" I get a 4G signal with 10.76 Mbps down/7.08 Mbps up but I can't make/receive calls or send/receive text messages because 4G Only will not allow voice/sms as currently implemented.

If I choose the network manually to iD (LTE, 3G) I still only get 3G in data unless I change the highest connection speed to 4G Only which immediately gives me 4G with no voice/sms.

If I choose the network manually to iD (3G, 2G) I get 3G as expected only.

Putting a 3 SIM from someone else into the phone I get 4G without a problem, same was when I had meteor.

I tested this on 4 locations, all the same issue, it seams to go down to 3G for data connection only, if I force it onto 4G I loose voice/sms.

I tried this also with 2 different phones (one windows, one android) and it's the same.

Anybody having a similar problem?

Update: as per customer care there was a batch of faulty SIM cards, so they advised me to go and change it in a store and if that does not fix it they will put in an individual investigation.

• Advertisement

Well, I've noticed that when I'm on 4G, as soon as I hit the (voice) Call button, it drops to 3G, and a few minutes after I hang up, it hops back up to 4G (presumably when some app calls for data in the background).
    I presume that they're not allowing handsets to use 4G for voice calls, to preserve valuable bandwidth/resources - I seem to remember that when I worked in O2 3G was reserved for data only, and calls were made on 2G.

I'd say leave everything on auto, and set to the highest speeds available - if you are in poor coverage, you may not get 4G, but see how it goes for a while - how long is it since you ported?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

On Vodafone it switches from 4g to 3g for calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭GIMP

4g doesn't support any voice traffic yet, at least not in Ireland, so it will always drop back to 2/3g.

Anyone else having issues making or receiving calls this morning, I haven't been able to ring out any number, including voicemail this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Anyone else having issues making or receiving calls this morning, I haven't been able to ring out any number, including voicemail this morning.

Working fine for me.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

All OK here too.

It's fine again for me now, actually came back within mins of me making that post :) anyway, I spoke with Customer Care and they confirmed that the had a nationwide problem affecting the voice side of things since late last night and was only rectified this morning. That was the issue I was having then, text and data services were unaffected.

Just to update on my 4G problem, once the card was exchanged it now works fine and I have 4G most of the time bar some spots where I know the 4G coverage of Three is not available.

Speeds however are still not the best but I assume once everyone stops running speedtest after speedtest it might calm down and get more stable.

Speeds however are still not the best but I assume once everyone stops running speedtest after speedtest it might calm down and get more stable.

I'm having quite the opposite result. My speeds are about 2-3 times faster than what they were when I was with 3. I presume they will gradually slow down as more and more people join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The speeds on my 4g have noticeably slowed since day one. Was to be expected. Ah well.

• Advertisement

Anyone else a little peeved that we have no way of checking our balance except for ringing customer care? I can see a lot of people on the lower bill tarrifs going over and getting screwed.

Its one thing they should have had ready for launch is myID or a number we can ring/text to get these details. I'm sure they will have it ready soon but for anyone using a lot of data they could easily get a €75 bill this month.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Anyone else a little peeved that we have no way of checking our balance except for ringing customer care? I can see a lot of people on the lower bill tarrifs going over and getting screwed.

Its one thing they should have had ready for launch is myID or a number we can ring/text to get thesesl details. I'm sure they will have it ready soon but for anyone using a lot of data they could easily get a €75 bill this month.
    Completely agree. This is something that should really be available on launch day or at least not long after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That was always something the irked me about Three, they dont support USSD codes. *100# is very convenient.

ED E wrote: »
    That was always something the irked me about Three, they dont support USSD codes. *100# is very convenient.

Well atleast with 3 you can just bookmark my3. So far iD really haven't given their customers any solution. I'm not going to wait on hold to customer care for 20 mins each time I want to check my remaining minutes. Has any other network ever launched without giving the users a way to check their balance from day 1? I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

MyID not being available at launch is a huge issue. Although, I'm not surprised, it is DSG we're talking about here..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Sorry if this was answered already, but i was wondering, does iD work the same way as Three works when using your minutes/data abroad in places like the UK?... i.e. you can roam for free within your allowed package of data/minutes/texts?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CVB

No sorry roaming is charged seperatly until the Roaming bundles will be launched . So for the moment everything is charged seperatly when abroad . In the UK even though we use threes network all pricing offers etc are different sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

CVB wrote: »
    No sorry roaming is charged seperatly until the Roaming bundles will be launched . So for the moment everything is charged seperatly when abroad . In the UK even though we use threes network all pricing offers etc are different sorry

That's the one thing I miss about 3. Unlikely but it would be great if they gave the same terms as 3 like home.

That's the one thing I miss about 3. Unlikely but it would be great if they gave the same terms as 3 like home.

The offering ID used in the UK for roaming is great if you overlook that you require the 12 month contract: http://www.idmobile.co.uk/takeaway

Let's hope we get something similar soon because that is what is really missing (next to myid) to make ID a big success.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭NegativeOne

The offering ID used in the UK for roaming is great if you overlook that you require the 12 month contract: http://www.idmobile.co.uk/takeaway

Let's hope we get something similar soon because that is what is really missing (next to myid) to make ID a big success.
    That's a sweet deal. I'd be happy with that even in the same countries 3 offer 3 like home.

Advertisement