Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ID Mobile - Closing down April 6th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Skedaddle wrote: »
    I would say actually that Eir has invested very heavily into their mobile network and it is actually pretty decent these days.

I have a 3 SIM for work and an Eir SIM for my personal mobile and the comparison is like night and day in favour of Eir most of the time.

1. Data speeds are consistently much better.
    2. Where 4G isn't available, their 3G is actually usably fast. Three often wasn't.
    3. WiFi calling is genuinely handy.
    4. This was unexpected but their voice service sounds much better. Calls on 3 sound over compressed or something. Eir sounds normal, like Vodafone. I have no idea why 3 sounds odd but it does. You really notice it when you switch from one SIM to the other.

I also haven't had any issue with their customer care. In general I've found them to be pretty responsive on the couple of times I've had to get in touch, which isn't often.

I know Eircom annoys the hell out of people and built up a bit of a reputation and that Mereor used to be very ropey but, genuinely I haven't had any issue with Eir mobile at all. It's been a pretty good experience for me anyway.

If you're concerned, test a prepay SIM for a few days in your area and see if it's suitable.

Otherwise, jump to 3 (or one of its other MVNOs : virgin, Tesco) or Post Mobile which is on Vodafone.

I think unless you can get a special deal on Vodafone they're way too expensive to use directly.

Eir coverage is excellent. However, I found their customer service to be very poor. As a meteor/eir customer of about 13 years I resented the fact that they would not entertain giving me a good deal unless I went for the whole package of tv and broadband. Really had no interest in or need for either of those. Found iD very refreshing and similiar to Meteor before the Eir culture swept in..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I would say actually that Eir has invested very heavily into their mobile network and it is actually pretty decent these days.

I have a 3 SIM for work and an Eir SIM for my personal mobile and the comparison is like night and day in favour of Eir most of the time.

2. Where 4G isn't available, their 3G is actually usably fast. Three often wasn't.
    4. This was unexpected but their voice service sounds much better. Calls on 3 sound over compressed or something. Eir sounds normal, like Vodafone. I have no idea why 3 sounds odd but it does. You really notice it when you switch from one SIM to the other.

I also haven't had any issue with their customer care. In general I've found them to be pretty responsive on the couple of times I've had to get in touch, which isn't often.

I know Eircom annoys the hell out of people and built up a bit of a reputation and that Mereor used to be very ropey but, genuinely I haven't had any issue with Eir mobile at all. It's been a pretty good experience for me anyway.

If you're concerned, test a prepay SIM for a few days in your area and see if it's suitable.

Otherwise, jump to 3 (or one of its other MVNOs : virgin, Tesco) or Post Mobile which is on Vodafone.

I think unless you can get a special deal on Vodafone they're way too expensive to use directly.

Completely agree with you on eir v 3.

It's night and day indeed.

You couldn't pay me to go to 3. Eir mobile are hamstrung by legacy rep rather than reality.

Their mobile offering is by far their best product and most reliable at that. Also agree on the call clarity thing. Also, I'm sure we've all seen what 3G on iD was like, ie. Shoite. Different story on eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 shanley2011

See their twitter account and Facebook account have been shut down. I’d imagine they don’t want people discussing payin for the handset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭fixXxer

A debt collection company is going to collect outstanding handset costs on behalf of the liquidator. It was mentioned on their twitter before it was taken down.

fixxxer wrote: »
    A debt collection company is going to collect outstanding handset costs on behalf of the liquidator. It was mentioned on their twitter before it was taken down.

From their FAQs on website:

What happens if customers have recently purchased a handset (phone) from iD Mobile?
    Customers who have paid in full for their handset will not be required to pay any further balances to iD Mobile.
    iD Mobile customers that have an outstanding balance on an equipment contract for a phone or mobile broadband device should note that the contract is not affected and therefore they will need to continue to make payments until this outstanding balance is cleared. iD Mobile customers will no longer be charged for mobile services but the Provisional Liquidator will contact relevant iD Mobile customers to advise of an alternative means of payment under the continuing equipment contracts.

• Advertisement

I’d imagine a lot of people are going to challenge it. Especially people who just took a contract. Pretty unfair to take a handset based on having a discount on your plan for 24 months even if there saying that phone and plan are separate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I’d imagine a lot of people are going to challenge it. Especially people who just took a contract. Pretty unfair to take a handset based on having a discount on your plan for 24 months even if there saying that phone and plan are separate.

They are separate terms and conditions. People should have read and understood what that meant at the time of taking it out. No point in moaning now if people didn't understand what they were signing up for. What's the basis of people challenging this? "I didn't bother reading the T's&C's at the time - but if I had I wouldn't have agreed". Yeah that won't work anyway.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    They are separate terms and conditions. People should have read and understood what that meant at the time of taking it out. No point in moaning now if people didn't understand what they were signing up for. What's the basis of people challenging this? "I didn't bother reading the T's&C's at the time? But if I had I wouldn't have agreed". Yeah that won't work anyway.

It isn't as simple as that. Even though there are separate contracts, the whole thing was sold as a package. Was never informed of the option of getting a phone with iD and a network provider elsewhere.

Also, not sure who is moaning.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Not sure what the issue is. They got a phone and plan. I think it was pretty clear that they were seperate from each other, it was mentioned quite often on their website and conditions I think.

Suppose alot of people were hoping for free phones.

Did consider signing up a few months back, expecting something like this to happen.

Killer K wrote: »
    It isn't as simple as that. Even though there are separate contracts, the whole thing was sold as a package. Was never informed of the option of getting a phone with iD and a network provider elsewhere.

Also, not sure who is moaning.

You should have read the comments on their Facebook page yesterday. Hundreds of people moaning about their phone plan plus the odd one hoping to score a free phone. The terms and conditions set them out as two separate things. Again if people didn't read them then that's 100% on them.

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    Not sure what the issue is. They got a phone and plan. I think it was pretty clear that they were seperate from each other, it was mentioned quite often on their website and conditions I think.

Suppose alot of people were hoping for free phones.

Did consider signing up a few months back, expecting something like this to happen.

I think the issue is around the uncertainty of the situatuon on the payment of the outstanding amounts for handsets. Until the liquidator confirms what will happen next there will be speculation.

You should have read the comments on their Facebook page yesterday. Hundreds of people moaning about their phone plan plus the odd one hoping to score a free phone. The terms and conditions set them out as two separate things. Again if people didn't read them then that's 100% on

I don’t think it’s going to be that simple. There not closing for 30 days. Yet they have shut down their twitter and Facebook account. Seems as though they are worried about the optics of it all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

i'd say it's very possible the liquidator's will offer the opportunity to buy out the phone's at a discounted price. I highly doubt they want to have to set up a potentially close to two year payment system for thousands of people.

Cina wrote: »
    i'd say it's very possible the liquidator's will offer the opportunity to buy out the phone's at a discounted price. I highly doubt they want to have to set up a potentially close to two year payment system for thousands of people.

The liquidator wouldn't set that up. They'd sell off the book of outstanding contracts to the highest bidder who would then do the collecting etc.

You should have read the comments on their Facebook page yesterday. Hundreds of people moaning about their phone plan plus the odd one hoping to score a free phone. The terms and conditions set them out as two separate things. Again if people didn't read them then that's 100% on them.

Thanks for the clarification. I tend to avoid fb and twitter. While Terms & Conditions are one thing, the scope and enforcement of them, particularly given a significant change of circumstances can be another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

I don’t think it’s going to be that simple. There not closing for 30 days. Yet they have shut down their twitter and Facebook account. Seems as though they are worried about the optics of it all

Probably more to do with the fact that those that worked the social media channels are probably being, or have just been, made redundant.

Optics, loyalty, customer service, brand recognition, etc. simply don't come into it.

A liquidator has no reputation that it needs to protect, there is no custom that it needs to retain, and there is no goodwill it needs to generate. So none of those niceties will factor into the liquidation process.

PAKNET wrote: »
    Probably more to do with the fact that those that worked the social media channels are probably being, or have just been, made redundant.

Optics, loyalty, customer service, brand recognition, etc. simply don't come into it.

A liquidator has no reputation that it needs to protect, there is no custom that it needs to retain, and there is no goodwill it needs to generate. So none of those niceties will factor into the liquidation process.
    I disagree Carphone/Dixon’s are the owners of ID mobile. They still have to trade in Ireland. Won’t look to good for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭matzen

Went into CPW on Henry St to avail of the eir offer. Poor reps are swamped with idmobile customers wanting to make the switch. Has to be done manually and each take 15 - 20 mins. Got it sorted but unfortunately only 3G or H+ show where 4G normally shows on idmobile. Am in Smithfield so would have expected stronger data signal....bummer!

matzen wrote: »
    Went into CPW on Henry St to avail of the eir offer. Poor reps are swamped with idmobile customers wanting to make the switch. Has to be done manually and each take 15 - 20 mins. Got it sorted but unfortunately only 3G or H+ show where 4G normally shows on idmobile. Am in Smithfield so would have expected stronger data signal....bummer!

I would be surprised if your signal doesn't improve. Thanks for the info on about the amount of time the process takes!

matzen wrote: »

I'm going to wait until end of March to switch. Might as well take advantage of the free month of service while it's there!

• Advertisement

I'm going to wait until end of March to switch. Might as well take advantage of the free month of service while it's there!

Yes, I will be doing the same. Let the queues in CPW get shorter as well..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Cpw offering iPhone 6 on a 30 euro contract for 24 months seems like a good deal for those looking for a new phone. On 3 btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cpw offering iPhone 6 on a 30 euro contract for 24 months seems like a good deal for those looking for a new phone. On 3 btw

A) Bendgate
    B) Might as well be a floppy disk drive as far as Cupertino is concerned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I like the look of the iPhone 6 for €30 a month that carphone warehouse are offering. I'm unemployed at the moment. Am I wasting my time trying to get a bill? I was with 3 up until the get out of contract opportunity came up last year, so I do have a history of paying for a bill with them, but I was employed when I took it out. I don't necessarily need a phone right now, but my current phone is over a year old and I'm not in a financial position to be able to pay for a phone upfront. This would be a great opportunity for me, without having to go back to the €60 a month bills I used to have with 3.

I disagree Carphone/Dixon’s are the owners of ID mobile. They still have to trade in Ireland. Won’t look to good for them.

Doesn't matter, Dixons Carphone lost executive control of the company as soon as it went into liquidation.

As of yesterday they have no more of a say over how iD is run than you or I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭cal60

I'm looking at the iD switchers Eir €15 per month offer . Does anyone who has availed of the offer know how long one is tied for ? The small print seems to suggest that a €15 pm discount is applied on Springboard for the first 12 months - which suggest the price is €30 less the discount which only applies for 12 months.

What is Springboard ?

I really dislike the way Eir advertises its plans as €X for 6/12 months €Y thereafter . Very misleading. This is what was so great about iD - true pricing transparency.

cal60 wrote: »
    I'm looking at the iD switchers Eir €15 per month offer . Does anyone who has availed of the offer know how long one is tied for ? The small print seems to suggest that a €15 pm discount is applied on Springboard for the first 12 months - which suggest the price is €30 less the discount which only applies for 12 months.

What is Springboard ?

I really dislike the way Eir advertises its plans as €X for 6/12 months €Y thereafter . Very misleading. This is what was so great about iD - true pricing transparency.

It's a 30 day contract, normally €30 a month, but €15 a month for 12-months.

Springboard is the Eir billing platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

cal60 wrote: »
    I'm looking at the iD switchers Eir €15 per month offer..l

Where did you get a copy of this? I can't see this online.

Where did you get a copy of this? I can't see this online.

It's on the carphone warehouse website https://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/id-switchers

• Advertisement

@PAKNET. Thanks - so would need to change again in 12 months ( or suffer €30 pm which is too high for me).

Next option Virgin 2Gb Sim only plan €15 pm. Close to what I had with iD 250/250/500mb for €10 pm .

As I had no major coverage issues with iD who used the Three network I presume the same would apply to Virgin ?

As I had no major coverage issues with iD who used the Three network I presume the same would apply to Virgin ?[/quote]

Yes, all on the 3 network so pretty much the same coverage. My other half is with Virgin Media and we don't notice any difference between iD and Virgin in terms of coverage.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Virgin had/has major issues with authentication text messages, sending and receiving. Have a look in the talk to virgin section

Killer K wrote: »
    I think the issue is around the uncertainty of the situatuon on the payment of the outstanding amounts for handsets. Until the liquidator confirms what will happen next there will be speculation.

Ya I’ve spoke to com reg a couple of days ago. Spoke to them again today. There still looking into the separate contract situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

One of the reasons why Voice calls on Eir & Vodafone sound so much better than 3 (and their MVNOs), is that Eir & Vodafone both support HD voice, whereas 3 don't. When you become accustomed to HD Voice, going back to normal voice, is like going back to the dark ages. Eir also support HD Voice on WiFi Calling and landline VOIP, which means you get the benefit of it when abroad, if you are on WiFi. I also find the Eir network excellent for coverage and average data speeds. I regularly have to lend my phone or provide WiFi to refugees from the Three network and their MVNOs. I never have to do this for Vodafone users, so I presume their network is also fairly reliable.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the eir broadband bill need to be in your name for this (assume it does?). Have eir broadband alright but the bill isn't in my name.

Yes it must be in your name.

• Advertisement

Ya I’ve spoke to com reg a couple of days ago. Spoke to them again today. There still looking into the separate contract situation

I finally got round to looking at the contract last night and I am even more convinced now that given the circumstances, there are grounds for flexibility. In other words, I would be surprised if the contract is fully enforceable. This is not a legal opinion.

One of the reasons why Voice calls on Eir & Vodafone sound so much better than 3 (and their MVNOs), is that Eir & Vodafone both support HD voice, whereas 3 don't. When you become accustomed to HD Voice, going back to normal voice, is like going back to the dark ages. Eir also support HD Voice on WiFi Calling and landline VOIP, which means you get the benefit of it when abroad, if you are on WiFi. I also find the Eir network excellent for coverage and average data speeds. I regularly have to lend my phone or provide WiFi to refugees from the Three network and their MVNOs. I never have to do this for Vodafone users, so I presume their network is also fairly reliable.

You wouldn't happen to work for Eir? :-)

I went from Eir to iD, never noticed the journey to the dark ages or needed to borrow someone elses phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭BowWow

I will attempt to get my SIM Only Deals website (MoolaMonkey) relaunched tonight.

Hi,

Any update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Weirdly, 3 still sounds less clear even when HD voice is disabled on both handsets. There’s something definitely odd about how they’re compressing voice. I’m fussy about these things and notice!

It sounds much more compressed than mobile voice on Eir, Vodafone or a classic landline which would be encoded using G.711 and A-Log companding.

I would suspect Eir and Vodafone are possibly using better technology on their switches and network to handle voice. I know there are various systems (not just HD voice) that actively clean up audio.

Classic GSM used voice CODECs that were a lot more compressed than normal digital POTS landline voice.

Anyway tech aside. It’s just a better network.
    Also I see no evidence of the big rebuild that 3 were supposedly doing using Nokia hardware. The system seems unchanged.

I must swap my landline over to VoIP at some stage. I might make more use of it. Does Eir let you use your own SIP handsets? Or are you restricted to using the analogue ports on the modem?

I must swap my landline over to VoIP at some stage. I might make more use of it. Does Eir let you use your own SIP handsets? Or are you restricted to using the analogue ports on the modem?

Not supported but possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I find this tweet a bit silly, pick on tesco mobile for being slow but what happened ID.???

https://twitter.com/CarphoneIE/status/972912899785199618

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

jimmynokia wrote: »
    I find this tweet a bit silly, pick on tesco mobile for being slow but what happened ID.???

https://twitter.com/CarphoneIE/status/972912899785199618

Because all the networks CPW currently sell for (Vodafone, 3, Eir) all offer 4G as standard. CPW don't sell Tesco Mobile as far as I know.

iD was a good network, very good value but they never quiet hit their target number of customers so the Network was not viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭comput1

any ideas on ways to spend the id mobile phone credit accumulated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Zhane wrote:
    Because all the networks CPW currently sell for (Vodafone, 3, Eir) all offer 4G as standard. CPW don't sell Tesco Mobile as far as I know.

Indeed, however Tesco being an mvno same as id was its rather childish, Tesco Mobile has done well in comparison to this dead duck nobody will buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Indeed, however Tesco being an mvno same as id was its rather childish, Tesco Mobile has done well in comparison to this dead duck nobody will buy.

But it’s not about iD anymore. It’s about CPW selling more contracts than tesco.

Nope.

Tesco pay less to Three than ID did as they only access 272-02 not 272-05(the modern network).

Thats partially why TM is viable and ID wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Tesco are in the market a long time and have scale. Id's failure is down to lack of promotion and poor management. Its that simple. They had a really great offering but the failed to capture the minds of customers. Its a great pity as it prob was the best deal in the market. Less compitition means price rises on the horizon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

BowWow wrote: »
    Hi,
    Any update?
    I had to get a friend to sort the domain and stuff out. This is currently propagating on servers, and should be working in a few hours.
    Work in progress, but the bones are there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Tesco have a HUGE retail presence and foot fall to leverage. CPW is a specialist and in a way I would suspect ID Mobile was also undermining their "one stop every network shop" model.

It's also not comparable to Virgin who are a quad play operator - adding mobile is a big deal to them in terms of rounding out an all service bundle.

Tesco have a HUGE retail presence and foot fall to leverage. CPW is a specialist and in a way I would suspect ID Mobile was also undermining their "one stop every network shop" model.

It's also not comparable to Virgin who are a quad play operator - adding mobile is a big deal to them in terms of rounding out an all service bundle.

Yes, iD mobile undermining CPW's 'one stop every netwerk shop' model is something that puzzled me. Before becoming an iD customer I was aware CPW had their own network but I didn't know what it was called. The fact there were no separate iD shops I think put them at a disadvantage. Plus what was the protocol for staff in CPW? I take it there was no incentive or push to put as many customers on the iD network as possible as this would undermine the overall business model.

So it would have been difficult for iD to thrive without somehow damaging CPW's reputation unless iD was also sold very much independently of CPW.

• Advertisement
Advertisement