Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID Mobile - Closing down April 6th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Charging to ring Customer Care is a bit cheeky don't you think?

"There's a problem with our service, let's charge the customer to tell us about it and get it fixed".

Vodafone, Meteor, Tesco Mobile and Three all charge 15c a call for that also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Techmaster wrote: »
    Vodafone, Meteor and Three charge 15c a call for that also.

Oh ok. I'm with 3 where it's free. Still cheeky (by all of them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭DopeTech

A little more info on the journal this morning.

http://jrnl.ie/2280482

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

FrostyJim wrote: »
    A little more info on the journal this morning.

http://jrnl.ie/2280482

It's a very poor showing. The €10 and €15 package is easily trumped by 48 with their €10 package. 48 also have them on iD's €25 package. The €20 48 package beats it on everything bar landline calls. Tesco beat iD on the €15, €20 and €25 package with their prepay offering. The only problem is Tesco's various prepay bundles aren't as clearly laid out and require you to know what you're looking for.

As for the €29 bundle, I can't see anything that beats it outright but Tesco's sim only plan is €25 a month but it only gives 15GBs of data. The upside is the shorter contract, 12 months with Tesco, 24 months with iD. Tesco have better international rates as well I think. For most people I can't see them needing more than 15GBs to Tesco would probably be the better option but for those who need the extra data iD are obviously the better choice.

TL;DR: For everything bar the €29 package you can get something better for the same price or cheaper with either Tesco or 48 and the €29 package isn't exactly a massive amount better than Tesco's €25 package.

Really disappointed with this. I was hoping for much better competition than this. At least the people who got a friends and family sim got a bargain out of this. Now, hopefully I get mine set up. :)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

"There's a problem with our service, let's charge the customer to tell us about it and get it fixed".

From what I can gather, those charges only come into play when your 5000 mins are gone.

Here's their full charges for all their bundles

AE7D40A9-554D-49FF-94BB-CF5164F6F0BF.png_zpskziobcub.jpeg

• Advertisement

It's a very poor showing. The €10 and €15 package is easily trumped by 48 with their €10 package. 48 also have them on iD's €25 package. The €20 48 package beats it on everything bar landline calls. Tesco beat iD on the €15, €20 and €25 package with their prepay offering. The only problem is Tesco's various prepay bundles aren't as clearly laid out and require you to know what you're looking for.

As for the €29 bundle, I can't see anything that beats it outright but Tesco's sim only plan is €25 a month but it only gives 15GBs of data. The upside is the shorter contract, 12 months with Tesco, 24 months with iD. Tesco have better international rates as well I think. For most people I can't see them needing more than 15GBs to Tesco would probably be the better option but for those who need the extra data iD are obviously the better choice.

TL;DR: For everything bar the €29 package you can get something better for the same price or cheaper with either Tesco or 48 and the €29 package isn't exactly a massive amount better than Tesco's €25 package.

Really disappointed with this. I was hoping for much better competition than this. At least the people who got a friends and family sim got a bargain out of this. Now, hopefully I get mine set up. :)

The best value plan is the sim only offer which staff and F&F were given for €15, other that that I don't see any attraction which would make people run out and switch to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

So without reading all this am I right in saying they are more expensive than 48?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

The idmobile website is down now, or very slow when I can get to it, and then the connection resets. Not encouraging that a communications company can't get their website right on launch day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Vodafone, Meteor, Tesco Mobile and Three all charge 15c a call for that also.

No meteor is a free call to customer service 1908 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

What advantage was there to registering interest on their site over the past few weeks? I've heard nothing from them about any offers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yup, having reviewed the prices, other then offering 4G, they really aren't competitive with Tesco Mobile or 48

To give some examples:

Tesco €15 - Unlimited calls, unlimited texts, 1GB 3G
    Tesco €15 - Unlimited calls, €5 free credit, 5GB 3G
    48 €10 - 300 mobile minutes, unlimited texts, 1GB 3G
    ID €15 - 100 minutes, 100 texts, 1GB 4G

Tesco €20 - Unlimited calls, unlimited texts, 5GB 3G
    48 €20 - 1000 mobile minutes, unlimited texts, 8GB 3G
    ID €20 - 250 minutes, 250 texts, 3GB 4G

Tesco €25 - Unlimited calls, unlimited texts, 15GB 3G
    ID €25 - 250 minutes, 500 texts, 20GB 4G

So they really only start to get a little competitive with 20GB of data. But then if you interest is maximum data, then you would be better off with Threes, €20, All You can eat, prepay plan.

jgbyr wrote: »
    What advantage was there to registering interest on their site over the past few weeks? I've heard nothing from them about any offers.

Absolutely none it seems.

bk wrote: »
    Yup, having reviewed the prices, other then offering 4G, they really aren't competitive with Tesco Mobile or 48

To give some examples:

Tesco €15 - Unlimited calls, unlimited texts, 1GB 3G
    Tesco €15 - Unlimited calls, €5 free credit, 5GB 3G
    48 €10 - 300 mobile minutes, unlimited texts, 1GB 3G
    ID €15 - 100 minutes, 100 texts, 1GB 4G

Tesco €20 - Unlimited calls, unlimited texts, 5GB 3G
    48 €20 - 1000 mobile minutes, unlimited texts, 8GB 3G
    ID €20 - 250 minutes, 250 texts, 3GB 4G

Tesco €25 - Unlimited calls, unlimited texts, 15GB 3G
    ID €25 - 250 minutes, 500 texts, 20GB 4G

So they really only start to get a little competitive with 20GB of data. But then if you interest is maximum data, then you would be better off with Threes, €20, All You can eat, prepay plan.

The only good deal that I can see from iDMobile is the €15 staff, friends and family deal, that deal can't be beaten by anyone else at present.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Aquos76 wrote: »
    The only good deal that I can see from iDMobile is the €15 staff, friends and family deal, that deal can't be beaten by anyone else at present.

Well except the plan that UPC Mobile has given to some select customers as part of their trial. €15 gets you unlimited calls, texts and 30GB 4G data!

Again, just like ID, I wouldn't expect that to remain available at launch.

71905482-D1EB-48AC-B66C-0D4B165E9A53_zpscsm03eie.png

Seems calls to customer care is taken from your allowance

bk wrote: »
    Well except the plan that UPC Mobile has given to some select customers as part of their trial. €15 gets you unlimited calls, texts and 30GB 4G data!

Again, just like ID, I wouldn't expect that to remain available at launch.

That UPC plan isn't actually live yet, I know two people who signed up but it's not up and running yet, and that will be a 12 month contract that they will require you to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

That UPC plan isn't actually live yet, I know two people who signed up but it's not up and running yet, and that will be a 12 month contract that they will require you to take.

Where as the €15 friends and family plan I'm on with iD is just a 30-day contract. Very handy not to be tied in to anything.

Where as the €15 friends and family plan I'm on with iD is just a 30-day contract. Very handy not to be tied in to anything.

Also, the €15 deal from iDMobile is for life where as the UPC offering of €15 is only guaranteed till sept 16, it could rise in price after that date. It is actually a 30 day contract, sorry BK, I said earlier it was a 12 month one, where I was getting the 12 months from is obviously just the price guarantee

D3B1D870-C444-49CB-95AD-1C639EFDB53B_zpsolahjcc4.jpg

So all in all, the iDMobile F&F deal on the face of it is an excellent deal.

So all in all, the iDMobile F&F deal on the face of it is an excellent deal.

It sure is, as is the UPC one.

Though given that neither are available to the general public, then it is all largely irrelevant.

ID's plans are largely useless to 99% of people IMO.

We now have to wait and see what UPC's public plans look like to see if they shake things up or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

After all the talk about having great value plans, they really don't have anything decent.

ID Mobile want 6% market share in 5 years? I do not see that happening with the current price plans.

Tesco Mobile appear to have better plans and have only ~5% market share after 8 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Read on their twitter feed that they won't be using Vodafone for roaming like 3 were. "3 don't have this agreement with Vodafone anymore. iD customers will be on Three's 3G/2G network."

jgbyr wrote: »
    Read on their twitter feed that they won't be using Vodafone for roaming like 3 were. "3 don't have this agreement with Vodafone anymore. iD customers will be on Three's 3G/2G network."

Well that is no surprise, since Three bought o2, they now have a massive 2G network from o2, so Three (and by extension ID, UPC, etc.) don't need the Vodafone network any more and I'm sure it is cheaper for them to use their own 2G network.

ID Mobile want 6% market share in 5 years? I do not see that happening with the current price plans.

Tesco Mobile appear to have better plans and have only ~5% market share after 8 years.

Yea, unless they can "fool" lots of people in their stores, I'd be surprised if thy end up with more then 1% market share with these plans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I got a Friends and Family deal and I'm still waiting to hear back after setup. Anyone else?

1pm and the site still hasn't launched. This is the oddest launch day I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I got a Friends and Family deal and I'm still waiting to hear back after setup. Anyone else?

I was registered and didn't get my mail for around two days as it seems to be manually approved, and it is slow now because they are probably swamped with calls and whatnot.
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    1pm and the site still hasn't launched. This is the oddest launch day I've seen.

Frosty, it is working perfectly for me. Slow, yes. Working, yes.

I was registered and didn't get my mail for around two days as it seems to be manually approved, and it is slow now because they are probably swamped with calls and whatnot.

Still says be the first to know etc. on it. No actual links to plans or phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's taking an age for the site to load anyway.

Cheers for that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

As a data user mostly, the bill-pay/30 day/sim-only plans are actually very good and totally configurable. I don't know why these aren't the plans everyone goes for.

For example, for around €25/month:
    iDmobile
    500 minutes
    250 texts
    20gb data
    4G
    €24.50/month

Three
    350 flex-unites (350 minutes/700 texts)
    15gb data
    4G* (*+ €4.99/month after next June for 4G)
    €25.51/month

Tesco
    nothing available between €20 (500mb) and €30 and only 3G (15gb)

eMobile
    100 minutes
    100 texts
    1gb data
    4G
    €24.40

Vodafone
    nothing available below €30

Meteor
    400 minutes
    unlimited texts
    2Gb data