Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID Mobile - Closing down April 6th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

JackKelly wrote: »
    As a data user mostly, the bill-pay/30 day/sim-only plans are actually very good and totally configurable. I don't know why these aren't the plans everyone goes for.

For example, for around €25/month:
    iDmobile
    500 minutes
    250 texts
    20gb data
    4G
    €24.50/month

Three
    350 flex-unites (350 minutes/700 texts)
    15gb data
    4G* (*+ €4.99/month after next June for 4G)
    €25.51/month

Tesco
    nothing available between €20 (500mb) and €30 and only 3G (15gb)

eMobile
    100 minutes
    100 texts
    1gb data
    4G
    €24.40

Vodafone
    nothing available below €30

Meteor
    400 minutes
    unlimited texts
    2Gb data
    4G
    €25/month
    And then stretching to €30/month:
    iDmobile
    5000 minutes
    5000 texts
    20Gb data
    4G
    €29/month

Three
    nothing available below €40

Tesco
    unlimited minutes
    unlimited texts
    15Gb data
    3G
    €30/month

eMobile
    200 minutes
    200 texts
    10Gb data
    4G
    €29.48/month

Vodafone
    unlimited calls
    unlimited texts
    1Gb data
    4G
    €30/month

Meteor
    unlimited minutes
    unlimited texts
    5Gb data
    4G
    €30/month
    So the only one that competes is the Tesco plan which is only 3G

But what speeds are you guaranteed? It would really depend on your location. It's not an equal playing field. Not much use having 20GB of 4g data if all they can provide is 3g/2g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Meteor are offering unlimited callls,texts and 15GB of data plus 50 EU roaming texts and 50 EU roaming minutes for €31.20 per month sim only 30 day contract and it's 4G

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

jgbyr wrote: »
    But what speeds are you guaranteed? It would really depend on your location. It's not an equal playing field. Not much use having 20GB of 4g data if all they can provide is 3g/2g.

That's a different argument, but from what I understand, in terms of infrastructure there are Meteor, Three and Vodafone.
    • eMobile operates on Meteor's
    • Tesco, 48, lycamobile, iD all operate on Three's
    • Postfone operates on Vodafone's network
    So my other options would be to go to Vodafone (which I'm not interested in doing) or stay with Meteor (with which I don't get great speeds anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

That's a different argument, but from what I understand, in terms of infrastructure there are Meteor, Three and Vodafone.
    • eMobile operates on Meteor's
    • Tesco, 48, lycamobile, iD all operate on Three's
    • Postfone operates on Vodafone's network
    So my other options would be to go to Vodafone (which I'm not interested in doing) or stay with Meteor (with which I don't get great speeds anyway).

So if you have a good signal then it's a good deal.

Meteor are offering unlimited callls,texts and 15GB of data plus 50 EU roaming texts and 50 EU roaming minutes for €31.20 per month sim only 30 day contract and it's 4G

Yeah, I noticed that. It's a good deal (albeit a special offer which is usually €39) if you are a first time customer or moving from contract to 30 day. I can't get it (even after telling the person on the line that I'd be moving with that being the case :confused:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Still says be the first to know etc. on it. No actual links to plans or phones.

Strange. Not being smart, but have you cleared your cache, etc.? I got their homepage with various sections and competitions, offers and information.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

As a data user mostly, the bill-pay/30 day/sim-only plans are actually very good and totally configurable. I don't know why these aren't the plans everyone goes for.

I have some issues with your comparison here.
    Three
    15gb data

Three has a 15GB fair usage policy, not a cap. Many people report going hundreds of gigs over that per month and hear nothing from Three.

That is why I would recommend Three over ID for heavy data users.
    4G* (*+ €4.99/month after next June for 4G)

Don't believe that, it is just marketing. There isn't a chance in hell Three start charging for 4G. They will simply extend this offer indefinitely.

People need to understand, that 4G mostly benefits the networks. 4G uses new encoding techniques, etc. which means it uses the bandwidth much more effectively then 3G. That means if they have two customers, one who uses 1GB on 3G and another who uses 1GB on 4G, the 4G customer actually ends up costing them far less then the 3G customer.

So it is absolutely in the networks interest to get everyone over to 4G. Sure they will use it as a marketing point and try to pretend they are giving you something for your benefit, but in truth it is really for their benefit.
    Tesco
    nothing available between €20 (500mb) and €30 and only 3G (15gb)

Only if you specifically limit your options to 30 day bill pay, which I've no idea why you would do that!

You can automate top-ups on Tesco Mobile via their website, so it effectively becomes a 30 day bill pay type contract.

Tesco Mobile
    Unlimited Calls
    Unlimited Texts
    5GB data
    €20

Tesco Mobile
    Unlimited Calls
    350 Web texts
    €5 left over credit
    5GB data
    €15

And similarly from 48:

1000 minutes
    Unlimited Texts
    8GB data
    €20

Or even better (for heavy data users) from Three:

Three
    Unlimited weekend calls
    Unlimited Texts
    Keep all your credit (week day calls)
    Unlimited Data (15GB FUP)
    €20
    And then stretching to €30/month:
    iDmobile

And that is the point, you don't need to stretch to €30 when you can get such great value and so much more for just €20.

If you like lots of calls and texts and some decent data, then Tesco is your best bet.

If you just want lots of Data, then Three pay as you go is the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Yeah, I noticed that. It's a good deal (albeit a special offer which is usually €39) if you are a first time customer or moving from contract to 30 day. I can't get it (even after telling the person on the line that I'd be moving with that being the case :confused:)

That can't be right that deal was originally €35 per month, until today I was on that deal I rang them up this morning and said I was going to cancel unless I they switched me which they did straight away give them a call.

bk wrote: »
    Only if you specifically limit your options to 30 day bill pay, which I've no idea why you would do that!

Because I don't want the hassle of having to top-up or having to deal with running out of credit, opting-in to bundles etc. I appreciate that Tesco have auto top-ups and maybe Three do to (?) but PAYG is still a hassle. 30 day rolling contracts give you the benefits of being a bill pay customer with none of the strings. Personally I prefer them (having been on PAYG for years)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Because I don't want the hassle of having to top-up or having to deal with running out of credit, opting-in to bundles etc. I appreciate that Tesco have auto top-ups and maybe Three do to (?) but PAYG is still a hassle. 30 day rolling contracts give you the benefits of being a bill pay customer with none of the strings. Personally I prefer them (having been on PAYG for years)

That is my point, it is super easy to setup with Tesco Mobile *

You simply register your credit or debit card on their website and simply set it to deduct either €15 or €20 every month.

That is it, takes all of 5 minutes and you never have to touch it again after that. In fact I'd argue it is much simpler then having to setup a 30 day contract! Doesn't that involve going into a store, with proof of address etc. and signing a contract!! Uck, way more difficult.

* I'm with Tesco myself so I can guarantee it. I remember Three having similar, but I haven't been with them in over a year, so I can't guarantee it hasn't changed, but I'd be surprised if it has.

Edit: yup here is how to easily do it with Three:
    http://ask3.three.ie/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL/,/?Command=New,Kb=ROIWebportal,Ts=ROIWeb,T=CaseDoc,varset_CatID=2284,Case=obj(2235)

So I can't see any reason why you wouldn't include them in a comparison. They are basically the same thing. Just simpler!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yea, unless they can "fool" lots of people in their stores, I'd be surprised if thy end up with more then 1% market share with these plans!

As long as they are competitive with the networks they sell in their stores they could do alright. A lot of people go to Carphone Warehouse to get their phones/contracts. Those people will be comparing iD to what Carphone Warehouse offer and If iD is better value than everything else then why wouldn't people go with them. They don't need to beat 48, Tesco and all the other MVNOs as the people walking through their doors aren't considering them anyway.

I don't know if they'll get the 6% in their first year but they might make a decent dent in it and grow steadily over the next few years. The real MVNO competition for them could be UPC, Carphone Warehouse sell UPC broadband so I imagine once UPC get their mobile offerings out on the market, they'll offer that too.

As long as they are competitive with the networks they sell in their stores they could do alright. A lot of people go to Carphone Warehouse to get their phones/contracts. Those people will be comparing iD to what Carphone Warehouse offer and If iD is better value than everything else then why wouldn't people go with them. They don't need to beat 48, Tesco and all the other MVNOs as the people walking through their doors aren't considering them anyway.

Yes, I agree that seems to be their plan. And this is why I don't like companies who do that sort of thing and I certainly won't be recommending them to anyone.

I don't like companies who don't bring any real competition to the market, instead relying on marketing and their store presence to foll people who don't know better into signing up with them.

It really does nothing to drive real competition and value in the market.
    I don't know if they'll get the 6% in their first year but they might make a decent dent in it and grow steadily over the next few years. The real MVNO competition for them could be UPC, Carphone Warehouse sell UPC broadband so I imagine once UPC get their mobile offerings out on the market, they'll offer that too.

I'd be shocked if they get more then 1% in 1 year with this strategy and current offerings *

* Leaving myself some wiggle room here, in case they see their mistakes in 6 months time and brng it some radical, exciting new plans.

After all, don't forget Tesco has a massive presence too, right their in front of you every time you go shopping. Constant ads on TV and actually really good, competitive, value for money products, yet it still took them 8 years to reach just 6%.

I'm not sure Carphonewarehouses on street presence is all that really significant.

And don't forget, they will be soon competing with UPC Mobile for the same 6% market share. I'd give UPC much higher odds on competing well. After all they have a store presence on the high street and at almost every shopping center. They already have a billing relationship with 1 in every 3 homes in Ireland.

I'm sure they will sell their phone service in your UPC bill, on their TV ads (they are one of the top 10 advertisers in Ireland) and during their door to door sales.

They could also do some really interesting things like giving you free calls and texts when you are at home, routed over their cable broadband service and free connection to all those UPC Horizon wifi points.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Just ported over there. So bloody painless and quick. I can't believe it tbh. Took less than 10min.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Just ported over there. So bloody painless and quick. I can't believe it tbh. Took less than 10min.

They wanted to grab you over before you had a chance to change your mind :D

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

My email just came in now, yeah that's right, remember the one we all signed up to which we were supposed to be the first to know :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The big question in my eyes is something nobody will talk about, what about sandvine? When TM launched they were on throttled up to 2Mb connections.....

Really wish they'd picked another wholesaler, we really need to get more users off threes infrastructure and onto eircom and Vodafones.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭blueb

i Got a promotional offer a few weeks ago... probably the best monthly offer i have ever see!!

5000 texts

5000 Minutes

20 GB Data

15 euro a month... for life!!!!

SCORE

blueb wrote: »
    i Got a promotional offer a few weeks ago... probably the best monthly offer i have ever see!!

5000 texts

5000 Minutes

20 GB Data

15 euro a month... for life!!!!

SCORE

Sure is, quite a few people now have that deal too, apparently it's closed now thou, it was a staff, Friends and Family deal they were offering. There was a good few sims with this deal floating around last night before the deadline passed.

ED E wrote: »
    The big question in my eyes is something nobody will talk about, what about sandvine? When TM launched they were on throttled up to 2Mb connections.....

Really wish they'd picked another wholesaler, we really need to get more users off threes infrastructure and onto eircom and Vodafones.

In fairness, three had their own network prior to taking over o2's so they now have both of those networks.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    In fairness, three had their own network prior to taking over o2's so they now have both of those networks.

Cellular doesnt work that way, especially if they end up consolidating onto one band.

1+1 = 1 here, maybe. So you could have "half" the effective rate of pre-merger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yes, I agree that seems to be their plan. And this is why I don't like companies who do that sort of thing and I certainly won't be recommending them to anyone.

I don't like companies who don't bring any real competition to the market, instead relying on marketing and their store presence to foll people who don't know better into signing up with them.

It really does nothing to drive real competition and value in the market.

I'd be shocked if they get more then 1% in 1 year with this strategy and current offerings *

* Leaving myself some wiggle room here, in case they see their mistakes in 6 months time and brng it some radical, exciting new plans.

After all, don't forget Tesco has a massive presence too, right their in front of you every time you go shopping. Constant ads on TV and actually really good, competitive, value for money products, yet it still took them 8 years to reach just 6%.

I'm not sure Carphonewarehouses on street presence is all that really significant.

And don't forget, they will be soon competing with UPC Mobile for the same 6% market share. I'd give UPC much higher odds on competing well. After all they have a store presence on the high street and at almost every shopping center. They already have a billing relationship with 1 in every 3 homes in Ireland.

I'm sure they will sell their phone service in your UPC bill, on their TV ads (they are one of the top 10 advertisers in Ireland) and during their door to door sales.

They could also do some really interesting things like giving you free calls and texts when you are at home, routed over their cable broadband service and free connection to all those UPC Horizon wifi points.

I can't see myself recommending them much either, I'd still stick with 48 or Tesco Mobile in most cases for that but if they have someone in front of them looking to upgrade their phone I can see them converting a decent amount of them. I agree UPC could be good competition and if Carphone Warehouse are selling UPC's packages too then iD may have to up their game a bit.

I've got the email for the friends and family package so I hope they stick around until at least something better comes along.

I can't see myself recommending them much either, I'd still stick with 48 or Tesco Mobile in most cases for that but if they have someone in front of them looking to upgrade their phone I can see them converting a decent amount of them. I agree UPC could be good competition and if Carphone Warehouse are selling UPC's packages too then iD may have to up their game a bit.

I've got the email for the friends and family package so I hope they stick around until at least something better comes along.

When did your email come thru?

When did your email come thru?

About 45 minutes ago.

Seems calls to customer care is taken from your allowance

Downside to being an MVNO, all calls cost the operator so they all cost you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

FourFourFM wrote: »
    They wanted to grab you over before you had a chance to change your mind :D

I have been having a nightmare with a switch from eMobile to Meteor of late so there was no danger of that.

Yes, eMobile to Meteor. That's right.

not happy with being on 3's infrastructure again as it was cat back in 2012 when I was with them. But alas I think I can suck it up for 15pm.

Does any one have the APN settings? Also, can anyone log into myid? I tried my temp iD number and the one I've ported over and neither work.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CVB

Your My iD online account when you have a bill to view and is available so that's why currently you cannot register as there will be nothing to view so far .

About 45 minutes ago.

Ah right, I got a mail from them around then also, but it was just a mail advising me that iDMobile is finally her and I can join any of their plans now.

I signed up for two staff plans around 7pm last night so it's will probably be another while before I get my mails.

Ah right, I got a mail from them around then also, but it was just a mail advising me that iDMobile is finally her and I can join any of their plans now.

I signed up for two staff plans around 7pm last night so it's will probably be another while before I get my mails.

I signed up a few hours earlier than you if I remember right so you should be fine.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Looks like the staff deal is still available, my mate just got a SIM card and logged on to the guestlist side of the website and was able to get this offer too.

Advertisement