Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't Airbnb hosts provide addresses?

Options
  • 27-07-2015 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Any time I have stayed with Airbnb hosts they have met me at a station or something and taken me to the house/apartment. They never seem to give an address (after the booking is made) and I'm getting really curious as to why that is.

I don't buy that they want to meet you and take to there out of the good of their hearts. The only 2 things I can think of are security concerns or for dodging tax by hiding their identity, but neither of those make sense either.

I have done a little googling and a quick look through the airbnb site but no joy. (Airbnb states a physical address and contact details cannot be provided to a host prior to a booking being made). Anyone care to enlighten me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

That has not been my experience, how many incidents have you experienced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I've always been given the full (and very precise) address when I've used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'd imagine it's given once you book.

Probably to stop randomers knocking on your door to ask any vacancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Or burglars knowing when you're going on holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

duploelabs wrote: »
    Or burglars knowing when you're going on holiday
    Well, the host is in the house too, so burglars wouldn't know that.

I know that anyone who does AirBNB regularly takes their rating very seriously. And some travellers can be prickly at best and will mark you down if they have trouble finding the house.
    One couple makes a point of telling people to meet them at such-and-such a pub around the corner because it's easier than trying to guide a tourist to a specific house on a specific street in a foreign country.

So rather than getting 20 phone calls looking for directions, they get a text when the guy is at the pub and they walk around and meet him.

Especially in Ireland where having an exact address sometimes means nothing in terms of navigation, I can see why it's easier to *not* give it out, as some visitors will insist on attempting to make their own way to the house. And then get lost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

They probably want to take a look at you before handing over the keys too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Tax evasion.

Fact is the same weasels then try to cut out air bnb by telling guests to contact them directly for future stays

Wonder how long Revenue will wait before demanding databases

Interesting to note that Dublin corporation built housing is being used by air bnb'ers and all while others are on housing lists ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

my friend wrote: »
    Interesting to note that Dublin corporation built housing is being used by air bnb'ers and all while others are on housing lists ..

That's a bold statement, be interested in seeing the proof.

Also, are you suggesting that people in council housing should be handing over the keys to someone on the waiting list while they're on holidays? I don't see any issue with letting out your place on AirBNB if you're in council housing, I'm in a privately rented flat and I'd be doing it for sure if my lease didn't prohibit subletting. Provided theirs doesn't, what's your issue exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

That has not been my experience, how many incidents have you experienced?

I stayed in about 10 places in Hong Kong and Japan and just a couple of places in England, nearly all of them met me and brought me to the place. The Japanese especially are very punctual by nature so I would have thought they'd expect you to find the place by address but maybe it is a younger generation thing, and also more practical with the language barrier.

That was just my experience at the places I stayed, so I though there might be some secret code among Airbnb hosts. I know some will want to provide a superior service, but I guess it may actually be more practical too.

The tax evasion thing doesn't make sense either - withholding the address to visitors would make no difference to the ability of revenue authorities to track down your income.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Just looked back over all the confirmation emails I have gotten from AirBnb and every last one has the exact address on it. Some people choose to meet you at an easy to find spot as otherwise you'll probably never find the house!

• Advertisement
Advertisement