Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is responsible for the repair of electrical appliances?

Options
  • 27-07-2015 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello, sorry I am new to this, and this question may have been asked before?

Just wondering if our washing machine breaks in a rental property who is responsible for repairs even if the machine was working a year ago?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Landlord is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The landlord owns it, the landlord pays for repairs unless you've caused the fault by mis-treating the appliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 firewolf

That's Great, thanks for the speedy response :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

firewolf wrote: »
    That's Great, thanks for the speedy response :-)

Have you cleaned out the filter? A basic job that tenants should do .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

It never ceases to amaze me how tenants can go through so many dishwashers, freezers ,microwave ovens, washer dryers during their tenancy.

Do other landlords have any similar experiences.?

Having the same brands in my own house for up to 10 years, yet a tenant may only last 2/3 years.

Mind boggling ?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It never ceases to amaze me how tenants can go through so many dishwashers, freezers ,microwave ovens, washer dryers during their tenancy.

Having the same brands in my own house for up to 10 years, yet a tenant may only last 2/3 years.

Mind boggling ?????

You get tenants who don't respect stuff that isn't theirs. A tenant may move into an apartment and treat the landlord's stuff well but the previous occupant may not have, hence shortening its lifespan.

Conversely, landlords are less likely to buy more reliable brands or go for cheaper models which can then break down more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Mind boggling ?????

As a tenant, I've had appliances break on me over the years. In nearly every case the landlord has bought the cheapest, low quality machine available.

You get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Mind boggling ?????

Remember those perfect CDs that you used to loan to friends that came back scratched........

mikom wrote: »
    Remember those perfect CDs that you used to loan to friends that came back scratched........

So true indeed .

As a tenant, I've had appliances break on me over the years. In nearly every case the landlord has bought the cheapest, low quality machine available.

You get what you pay for.

Absolutely ! Sadly a few tenants simply cannot treat someone else's property with respect. As I mentioned earlier I provide the same brands as I use myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Landlords rarely leave manuals for tenants, this is partly responsible for some unavoidable damage. This is especially the case when it comes to washer dryers (most are designed to only be able to dry half the load it can wash) as the dryers frequently break due to overloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Mind boggling ?????
    Do you have the same models as well as the same brands?

Advertisement