Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding prep as a guest - not been to one in years

Options
  • 28-07-2015 12:47am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So my OH has been invited to a wedding in a few weeks time, and if I can sort out the day off from work, I'm thinking about prep.

I'm tall, thin and pale, and don't do fake tan so that's out.
    I also have very very very short hair which is cut and dyed once a month so don't have to worry about that.

I'm wondering if my normal makeup for a night out would be fine?

I'll get my eyebrows done as part of normal monthly maintenance, then do my makeup, foundation, highlighter, concealer, blusher, eyeshadow, mascara and lipstick to match my outfit.

That's as much as I'd ordinarily do, my nails are in bits at the moment, so depending on how they are I'll get them done.

Does that sound too low key? I've got fairly good skin, and don't need to do much to make it look good, and use makeup (I think) to enhance rather than hide.

Or being pale, will I look like an alien at a wedding with low key makeup?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

You won't look like an alien! The fake tan at weddings thing has died down a lot in recent years - I'm sure there'll be a few Orange Wonders and a few people with a nice natural looking glow and plenty of pale and interesting people there. That's been the case at every wedding I've attended anyway.
    I usually take a bit more care with my eyeliner when doing my make up as a wedding guest. That's it really. You will look lovely,

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I used to get the whole shebang done for a wedding, spray tan, shellac nails pedicure and upstyle. Now I just get a blowdry at the hairdressers, do my own tan with Cocoa Brown (think a bit of colour looks better with a dress and esp. on legs) and do my own nails and make -up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

To be honest, I'd just go with whatever you're comfortable with. It's a long day, and the last thing you want is to be worried about false lashes falling off or your tan going streaky if there's a bit of rain. What you've described above sounds perfect.

One thing I tend to do for weddings is not to use super dark eye make-up, purely because it can look a little harsh in daylight. I generally stick to golds, coppers and browns unless they don't suit my outfit. That's just my personal preference. Also, I'm going to a wedding on Thursday and I've just been using the Garnier Summer Skin tanning moisturiser. It's less faff than tan but it gives a nice glow too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

To second what Ilyana said, you do whatever you're comfortable with. I hate fake tan and never wear it and when I do, I feel really uncomfortable and don't like how I look with it on. You don't want to spend the entire day feeling uncomfortable.
    If I was getting ready for a wedding it would be nails, eyebrows, lashes, hair blowdried and up styled that morning and I always do my own makeup. Sounds like you have most of that covered so you should be good to go, do your own makeup and throw on something lovely to wear

Advertisement