Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade to Windows 10

Options
  • 28-07-2015 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭

Hi guys first time posting here just looking for some advice iv a hp laptop running Windows 8.1 4gb ram 500gb hard drive is there any point in upgrading to Windows 10 I have my free upgrade reserved I haven't had one issue with any bugs in 8.1 so far would it be worth upgrading to 10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

shnburn wrote: »
    Hi guys first time posting here just looking for some advice iv a hp laptop running Windows 8.1 4gb ram 500gb hard drive is there any point in upgrading to Windows 10 I have my free upgrade reserved I haven't had one issue with any bugs in 8.1 so far would it be worth upgrading to 10

I'm in a similar position with Windows 7. Pretty happy with it bar some gameplay issues. I will probably go for the upgrade but will wait a week or so to see if there are any issues. Obviously I'll do a double backup of all my important files first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'll be upgrading my laptop first and see how I get on for a week or two before doing the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I upgraded this morning. No issues so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭shnburn

GvidoR wrote: »
    I upgraded this morning. No issues so far.

Good to hear will upgrade later today

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

According to MS FAQ, if you registered (which I did some months ago) you are then meant to get a notification that W10 ready to install (where, according to the FAQ it will download in the background).

So far nothing - did you folks download an ISO image from MS or what (got link?)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

legrand wrote: »
    According to MS FAQ, if you registered (which I did some months ago) you are then meant to get a notification that W10 ready to install (where, according to the FAQ it will download in the background).

So far nothing - did you folks download an ISO image from MS or what (got link?)?

Ditto...nothing so far.

Just wondering if the posters that have downloaded are normal users or developers etc?

I have heard so much about it I am more than a tad eager to commence download.

Try opening command prompt as administrator and typing
    wuauclt.exe /updatenow

and then open windows update. You should see it downloading there. Worked for me.

*btw, I'm not a developer, etc.

legrand wrote: »

Got the message probably just under 2 months ago to enter my email to reserve my copy of the upgrade are u running Windows 7 or 8 my mas laptop running 7 and nothing came up on hers about upgrading only got it on mine that runs windows 8.1

Got the message probably just under 2 months ago to enter my email to reserve my copy of the upgrade are u running Windows 7 or 8 my mas laptop running 7 and nothing came up on hers about upgrading only got it on mine that runs windows 8.1

I'm on 8.1 (laptop about 1½ years old) - my notification came via a Lenovo notification. I may have got an email as well but can't recall. Win7 is entitled to free upgrade. You may want to try the .exe mentioned above. I believe you need 20Gigs free on your HD so best to check you have that available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Yes, reserved the same as you a couple of months ago.

Currently running 8.1

• Advertisement

ads20101 wrote: »
    Yes, reserved the same as you a couple of months ago.

Currently running 8.1

Just went onto my laptop there have to wait for a notification for the download to be done in the background so might take few days for everyone to get it they probably going let so many a day upgrade to keep their servers from crashing

You can force start the upgrade as I mentioned. Here's my desktop. :P

ZAdGk3Kl.png

You can force start the upgrade as I mentioned. Here's my desktop. :P

Just a heads up it didn't work when I did it, but as soon as I changed the setting to automatic updates and ran the command the update kicked in ..... see yee in an hour or so :o

Oh before I go does it give an option for clean install at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just a heads up it didn't work when I did it, but as soon as I changed the setting to automatic updates and ran the command the update kicked in ..... see yee in an hour or so :o

You have to upgrade install, THEN clean install.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

I have Windows 7 with the tech preview on another partition. Will I have to format the second partition and remove tech preview from the boot file to upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Try opening command prompt as administrator and typing

and then open windows update. You should see it downloading there. Worked for me.

*btw, I'm not a developer, etc.

Windows update just gives me an error when I run that.

Weird they dont have some progress bar or something. I reserved pretty much the day it was available. Nothing so far

Try deleting everything in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and then do the command prompt thing again.

just upgraded to 10. So far okay (will need to check drivers where needed are updated)

I went into Control Panel/Windows Update where you should see option to upgrade to 10. Whole process took about 45 mins for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

ED E wrote: »
    You have to upgrade install, THEN clean install.

is it a straight forward process to do that?
    any guides out there?
    Would like to do a fresh install and have a clean slate

So far I like the set up no issues yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Currently trying to upgrade from 8.1.

Clicked the windows logo in the task bar and went through a couple of pages of t&c's, the laptop is now 2 hours restarting.

How long does it generally take?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

anyone having issues where the where the GWX or Get Windows 10 app has disappeared as of today? I had a reserved copy as of a month or two ago and today I open and it has disappeared...

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Currently trying to upgrade from 8.1.

Clicked the windows logo in the task bar and went through a couple of pages of t&c's, the laptop is now 2 hours restarting.

How long does it generally take?

Took about an hour for me but when I first tried to upgrade I got an error message had to restart the laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Think I will hold off for a few weeks, wait for bugs to be sorted, gameplay issues to be fixed and object desktop from stardock to be upgraded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

anyone having issues just go here...seems the whole reservation element of the process is just to entice users. doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Updated - working fine so far

1 Tip if you want to use Cortana - have your language set to English ( United Kingdom ) or usa if you want . it does not work on English (Ireland) yet .

saved me switching her off

Need to ensure Win10 drivers are up to date (my mouse pointer freezes).

Also, Control Panel crashes when looking at Programs - trying to find where my BitDefender install has disappear to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

What does the N stand for in Windows 10 Home N ? The answer is probably obvious but not for me .

Also I currently use 7 Ultimate , would I still just choose the Home version ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Took about an hour for me but when I first tried to upgrade I got an error message had to restart the laptop

I aborted the update after about 2.5 hours, I'll give it another go tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Thanks, that worked

Advertisement