Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade to Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

jonski wrote: »
    What does the N stand for in Windows 10 Home N ? The answer is probably obvious but not for me .

Also I currently use 7 Ultimate , would I still just choose the Home version ?

N is the European version which ships without windows Media Player (you can download it separately if you want).
    windows 7 Ultimate will turn into Win 10 Pro!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Gamers beware. I'm getting BSODs with MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error while playing games. It may be due to a dodgy Occulus Rift driver. Time will tell.

The good news is that you can roll back to Win7/8 up to 30 days after the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

GvidoR wrote: »
    Try deleting everything in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and then do the command prompt thing again.

Iv done this on both my laptop and desktop and still no joy, keep looking in veiw update history and it just automatically fails after it originally failed the first time. Any suggestions? (both are genuine copys of windows btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Was downloading fine and the blue box said something about 'Creating windows 10 media' got to 64% and the box vanished and the computer acted like nothing happened ...... had to start over.

re download everything now..

EDIT: just did the whole thing over and once again it downloaded fine but stops at 64% saying "Something Happened" wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

anyone having issues where the where the GWX or Get Windows 10 app has disappeared as of today? I had a reserved copy as of a month or two ago and today I open and it has disappeared...

Same here.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

anyone having issues just go here...seems the whole reservation element of the process is just to entice users. doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

Anyone else care to comment on this? My GWX icon has also disappeared but the link provided above is if you want to create a media (USB or DVD) install copy, I'm assuming that my (automatic) download will be to my HDD and then I'll be prompted to install at a time decided by me.

My Windows Update screen is still saying 'We'll let you know when the upgrade is ready to be installed on this PC', hence why I think the download part will happen in the background.

Did others who 'reserved' a copy in the past few weeks get a prompt today to say that it had been downloaded and you could now go ahead and install? Or did you all do a manual download?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

No prompt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Try opening command prompt as administrator and typing

and then open windows update. You should see it downloading there. Worked for me.

*btw, I'm not a developer, etc.

I did it this way, took 6 hours to download and then during installation i got this message. Any advice?

83a7659fa3322ab4b03fc409a8f2c611.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I did it this way, took 6 hours to download and then during installation i got this message. Any advice?

I restarted my laptop and got to install then.

I restarted my laptop and got to install then.

did nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

coylemj wrote: »
    Same here.

Anyone else care to comment on this? My GWX icon has also disappeared but the link provided above is if you want to create a media (USB or DVD) install copy, I'm assuming that my (automatic) download will be to my HDD and then I'll be prompted to install at a time decided by me.

My Windows Update screen is still saying 'We'll let you know when the upgrade is ready to be installed on this PC', hence why I think the download part will happen in the background.

Did others who 'reserved' a copy in the past few weeks get a prompt today to say that it had been downloaded and you could now go ahead and install? Or did you all do a manual download?

It downloads in the background and then they let you install when they decide they're ready for you to based on system specs etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I still waiting for notification, that it ready to download

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

dave1982 wrote: »
    I still waiting for notification, that it ready to download

Have you checked you have all updates, legit copy of windows etc...?

If so it's just a case of wait until they get to you're spot in the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Try deleting everything in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and then do the command prompt thing again.

Did that, finished re-downloading at 5 this morning, then got the same error

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Just got a new laptop delivered an hour ago with windows 8.1, previously had vista.

Best to just run the installation now as opposed to getting 'used' to 8.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Naos wrote: »
    Just got a new laptop delivered an hour ago with windows 8.1, previously had vista.

Best to just run the installation now as opposed to getting 'used' to 8.1?

Id go straight to 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭shnburn

coylemj wrote: »
    Same here.

I got the message yesterday morning that it was ready to download didn't do a manual download

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ChoppersX

Tried the forced download method to download windows update, got the download to start and complete but windows update wouldn't install it instead it would begin the process of downloading it again.

So gave up on that and then downloaded the windows 10 media creation tool tried to the upgrade option from that with no luck.

Decided to select the option to create a installation media for another pc, then selected the create iso option. I'm using 64bit 8.1 pro if you are using the standard version of 7/8 make sure to select your architecture, language and version type which will be Home as standard. You'll find out what version of your os you are currently running in the properties of my computer/this pc. I think the n versions have windows media player removed.

Once it was finished creating the iso I mounted it using daemon tools lite(you can use any other iso software such as Virtual CloneDrive etc). Selected the setup.exe on the virtual disc(iso), it downloaded some updates then it finally upgraded to Windows 10. This method is not a clean install and windows will fully activate once its installed from a legit copy of windows 7/8/8.1

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you're familiar with the way Android updates are rolled out, MS appears to be doing the same here with W10. Basically it's a case of wait and we'll kick it off when it's your turn.

When will I get my free upgrade?

If you reserved your free upgrade, it’s on the way. You’re part of the largest software upgrade event ever and we’re managing it so everyone has a great experience. Your notification to upgrade could come as soon as a few days or weeks. Absolutely can’t wait? Tech savvy users can use the Media Creation Tool to install immediately on one or multiple devices.

http://www.microsoft.com/EN-US/windows/windows-10-upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭AutoMan79

Really happy with win 10. Even my hp dm1 from 2008 works better then on win 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I didn't reserve.....I presume I'll get a notification sometime soon.....I'm running 8.1 on two laptops....looking forward to trying 10 as I am no fan of 8.1!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

For anyone upgrading from 8.1 I'd advise to do a complete system backup to a non boot drive before you attempt it. (Control panel -> File History and in the bottom left corner there is a link to "System Image Backup")

I've been plagued by BSODs since the upgrade, so today I decided to rollback to 8.1. During the rollback process I got a BSOD. When the machine was reset it got stuck in a loop of rebooting. Yay.

Luckily I'm not very trusting and had a backup on my D: drive. I booted from the Win8.1 CD and after a few attempts I got it to restore. Thank ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

atm F windows 10,did upgrade on acer laptop from win 8.1 and graphics drivers dont work,get constant flickering and cant get past login for more then couple seconds.no probs i though just gonna go into safe mode-appears you need to be logged in to access it now-**** you microsoft,since now gonna need to revert back or make a win 10 disc.Pure joke given situation :cool:

Appears to access mode on laptop-you need to press shutdown button couple times before windows can load to get into safe mode,but now found out theres no support for intel hd 3000 drivers :/

Got notifications on both laptops today and reserved my copies - only the first reservation asked for my email address. After I get my email, I might wait until I see how people here are getting on before I update.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Joeface

using it for about an hour , Have to say easiest Install I have ever done, Looks nice .
    And I like some of the simple features that have been added , Everything I had installed on windows 7 is still working perfectly .

using an M14x with 500g drive and 4gb ram . Will try it for a little gaming in a while. Nice looking upgrade all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Started downloading it last night, laptop died half way through. Started it again tonight, got to 100%, then checked requirements for installation, and now its back downloading again at 17%. I've had it going for an hour last night and now since 8 tonight. Dunno whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

am waiting on my download, tried forcing it using wuauclt, no joy, does windows have to be fully patched before 10 will download?? I am about 120 updates behind, don't bother with em, think they just slow the machine down....

Got my notification that it is ready to go. Think I'll hang on a while and maybe do the netbook first. It sounds slow, so better use the ethernet cable I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Is there a way to use a different password for logging in than your Live id without losing the functionality that comes with it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Looks like some features of win7 home premium like windows media centre will be gone if I upgrade.

Advertisement