Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade to Windows 10

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Looks like some features of win7 home premium like windows media centre will be gone if I upgrade.

Yep, WMC is gone for good and is not coming back in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

got win 10 on main pc-for those that don't have legit previous OS its still possible to install,no need even for upgrading,just need ms account.Not sure would it work for those with legal previous OS-unless your willing to go phone route.

Cons would be that many administration functions will be locked.
    Also no way do disable automatic updates,while some might be necessary,but hated on windows 8.1 when shutting down pc and you see it stuck with updates,not to mention not knowing when they are downloaded thus interference with BB if your doing some downloads or gaming.

good points speed seems to be the same like on windows 8.1,the search bar is really handy and most notable update,other functions like extra desktops and snapping are useful unless having big screen or better multiple ones.
    and start desktop is back so feels like windows 7 again.

Drivers can be a bit difficult on older laptops-since some companies are either behind or wont bother to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

scamalert wrote: »
    got win 10 on main pc-for those that don't have legit previous OS its still possible to install,no need even for upgrading,just need ms account.Not sure would it work for those with legal previous OS-unless your willing to go phone route.

??. So if you have a legal OS it's more difficult?

Just saying that its possible to do straight install,skipping all the upgrade part,thus dealing with activation afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Just saying that its possible to do straight install,skipping all the upgrade part,thus dealing with activation afterwards.

Now after using 10 on the laptop, I'd be interested in throwing it on to my desktop but there is no way I'm forking out €130 just for the basic os.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Did that, finished re-downloading at 5 this morning, then got the same error
    Turn off spyware and virus checkers before trying the routine again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Check for if you have any hidden updates. Mine kept failing till I installed a update that I had hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Moved from Windows 7 to 10.
    WOL no longer working - bit if digging required to investigate if I can get it to work again
    Malwarebytes also keeps crashing

Other than that I am really liking it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Moved from Windows 7 to 10.
    WOL no longer working - bit if digging required to investigate if I can get it to work again
    Malwarebytes also keeps crashing

Other than that I am really liking it so far.

Check your NIC drivers, make sure you aren't running generics now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

If you were an insider which I was, my insider Windows 10 upgraded to the released version and it's fully activated, the only thing is it was on an old laptop. I upgraded my PC from 8.1 to 10 and then I did a clean install and it activated no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Lads getting an error "This product key didn't work. Please check it again or try a different key" when I try to upgrade or clean install? Anyone know a fix? Using the Media Creation Tool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Moved from 7 to 10 without any hassles (only expat shield needed deleting) takes a while but flawless really with all files and drivers no problems ........looks alot like 7 but a bit sharper maybe.........never used 8 but from what I gather it's a big up from that system

No issues with Steam or Origin games either

Lads getting an error "This product key didn't work. Please check it again or try a different key" when I try to upgrade or clean install? Anyone know a fix? Using the Media Creation Tool
    does it say this key didnt work ? or the key was banned by the server in error message ?

does it say this key didnt work ? or the key was banned by the server in error message ?

This key didn't work, while I'm trying to do the Upgrade. Had seen somewhere I'm not supposed to use the key here so I'll try that

you don't enter key while upgrading just press skip,then when prompted again press skip,until you install windows and then it should pick it up automatically.

Jesus Christ... PC has been on for two days because it took so long to download I didn't want to have to repeat it.

They don't make this simple

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

is it a straight forward process to do that?
    any guides out there?
    Would like to do a fresh install and have a clean slate

Windows 8 and now Windows 10 have a built in "Reset" option that will basically do an in-place clean install. You can have it keep your data (just refresh Windows) or do a complete refresh that cleans everything off, just leaving a fresh Windows install.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

I went back to windows 7 on my laptop because there was a few little things that annoyed Me sometimes the Wi-Fi wouldn't connect to the modem and would have to reboot to get it to work again also the two finger scroll on the touchpad on my laptop I can change the direction of scroll and save it but when it's rebooted it's keeps going back to the default setting only for these things I would have stayed with it but

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭mrtom

Where is "Disc Cleanup" in WX? Cant seem to find "C" drive, just a list of folders.

mrtom wrote: »
    Where is "Disc Cleanup" in WX? Cant seem to find "C" drive, just a list of folders.
    Expand "This PC", it'll be listed there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

GvidoR wrote: »
    Try deleting everything in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and then do the command prompt thing again.
    Thanks for that, worked for me after initial effort to force the install with the cmd failed.

Now running W10 on an old Inspiron, though will do a full reset tomorrow, clean out the crap gathered over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 WTSIB

Hi.
    Not tech savvy. Reserved upgrade to 10 from 8.1, on 2 year old Lenovo, some time ago, no notification yet. However discovered that upgrade downloaded in background a week or so ago. Had/ have automatic updates turned on and now realise that updates/ installation have repeatedly failed. I note elsewhere that MS advise waiting till notification from them has been received before installing/ updating/ activating-- even if download files have been installed on system earlier. How/ why wait if auto update turned on ? This does not make sense to me.

Am I missing something ?

WTSIB

WTSIB wrote: »
    Had/ have automatic updates turned on and now realise that updates/ installation have repeatedly failed. I note elsewhere that MS advise waiting till notification from them has been received before installing/ updating/ activating-- even if download files have been installed on system earlier. How/ why wait if auto update turned on ? This does not make sense to me.

Am I missing something ?
    I would presume that MS is gathering feedback on what is causing the failures, and is tweaking the updates to address the issues identified.

You can go ahead and do the update manually - run the Media Creation Tool and select the "Upgrade this PC now" option (don't use the “Create installation media for another PC” option).

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Jesus Christ... PC has been on for two days because it took so long to download I didn't want to have to repeat it.

They don't make this simple
    It's probably your network that's the issue. I think the download is only 3.5GB and it took about 60-90 minutes for me to download.

It's probably your network that's the issue. I think the download is only 3.5GB and it took about 60-90 minutes for me to download.

It downloads slow as hell, my location is Leitrim after all. I got it sorted anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

you don't enter key while upgrading just press skip,then when prompted again press skip,until you install windows and then it should pick it up automatically.

Does this work for a fresh install? When i try upgrading either by windows updates...(downloads the whole file every time!!) or by the installation tool I get the error "Cannot determine if you have enough free disc space" or something like that...tried a lot of things to fix this but no use.

I'd be happy with clean install, have a photo of my product key but it's quite worn and hard to read a couple of letters, i've been guessing them, but not right evidently! I threw out the key when replacing so can't take a super high res version which i should have done!

If I click skip, on a fresh install will i be ok? Will it activate automatically? Or is that only for upgrade within windows? (currently on windows 7)

Plan B...ANybody a master at reading product keys :confused: ?

It's tempting just to get a cracked version for all the stress of having to do the right thing!

It's tempting just to get a cracked version for all the stress of having to do the right thing!

Why stress? Ignore the upgrade for a month. Maybe there'll be new drivers that resolve whatever is causing you an issue by then.

But if you want to go ahead and try the clean install method detailed here:

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/4940/windows-10-tip-successfully-clean-install-windows-10

If the machine came with 8, you shouldn't need to enter a key - it should be picked up automatically. That's also true for most Win7 machines too, though not all.

I use Belarc Advisor to audit machines and recover keys.

By the way, I can't stress enough that if you are going to try to install Windows 10 from a DVD or USB, make absolutely sure that you select the matching version of the OS when creating the media. If you have the N version of Windows 7 or 8 (MS were required to create a version of Windows that didn't include any media playback tools by the EU), your upgrade license will only activate if you select an N version of Windows 10, from what I have read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Bayberry wrote: »
    Why stress? Ignore the upgrade for a month. Maybe there'll be new drivers that resolve whatever is causing you an issue by then.

But if you want to go ahead and try the clean install method detailed here:

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/4940/windows-10-tip-successfully-clean-install-windows-10

If the machine came with 8, you shouldn't need to enter a key - it should be picked up automatically. That's also true for most Win7 machines too, though not all.

I use Belarc Advisor to audit machines and recover keys.

Cherers, yeah i recovered the key but that was just the OEM key which dell used so isn't any good, not the same as the one on the computer.

I can't go to the start options menu in order to repair my windows installation, (not sure what it's called but given as an option when you don't shut down properly). IT just doesn't go into that, so leads me to believe something wrong with my windows 7 installation.
    Hmm so true for most but not all, I can try I suppose and see if it reads the key! MAybe i'll have more time over weekend to investigate! thanks for response though

• Advertisement

^^ if your on laptop turn it on,and before win logo appears power if off using power button 2-3 times in a row,that will trigger safe mode menu,from there just go into recovery options and revert back.

As for upgrading it, found its really crappy,since files/programs/drivers tend to get messed up-for example one on one of my laptops id didnt pick up video drivers,speed dropped immensely on gaming pc and lots of other crap that i believe they will be fixing in coming year.

Yet clean install had no such crap.

As for recovering keys and what not-cracks work just fine takes 20seconds to apply and there's no difference what so ever,don't see any reason if pc is home used to go into all the hassle needed to get free windows,if one has key lying somewhere anyway.

Advertisement