Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning Super Hero This Year

Options
  • 28-07-2015 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

7 time marathon runner here - with really crappy training history - kinda jsut wnet and did it if you know what I mean.Anyhoo, after a few Robbie Williams-esque weight fluctuations, battles with alcohol and cigarettes, depression and lack of motivation to do anything, I started running again except this time I am following a plan for Dublin Marathon. Thought I'd start getting involved with a few running forums online again, so here I am.

Am on run 12 of 64 in my training plan and last night I did 5 miles.
    Was knackered tired going out cos usually I run earlier and had been woken by a drunken householder getting in near 4am yesterday so was hanging on all day :-(

Was supposed to be a slow pace of 9:20 - 9:40 minute miles per my training plan. I also ran with a friend - normally "conversation pace" ties in with the conversation going on in my head, so actually expending oxygen to converse knackered me out too!

Here's yesterday's splits:

Mile 1: 9:10
    Mile 2: 8:34
    Mile 3: 9:02
    Mile 4: 9:17
    Mile 5: 9:36
    Mile 6: 9:01

Mile 5 & 6 were made up of 5 sessions of 20 second sprints with 2 minutes walk/jog in between.

Next run is tomorrow:
    6 miles made up of 1 mile easy, 4 miles fast, 1 mile easy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Runner Mojo

Slow 5k recovery run with the missus last night. Legs and arms felt bloody sore from new bodyweight workout two days previously. Let on that I was doin her a favour by goin slow for her. Truth was: could barely move legs till half way through.

Feelin okay today except triceps that are screaming at me.

6 miles to do for my mara training today :-)

Sh!t run today :-(

Had really bad DOMS from a new bodyweight workout couple of days ago. Went out with really stiff, sore legs. Started to loosen out but then got hit with cold so bad I couldn't feel my toes or fingers, heat that only got my core and meant I had to take off jacket and wrap it round my wait, a strong wind blowing in my face and rain that lasted just long enough to leave blurry rain on my glasses.

Was supposd to run 6 miles, 1 mile slow (9:20-9:40 min/ml) 4 fast (8:20-ish min/ml) 1 slow.

Actually ran

1: painful at 9:52
    2: loosening up at 7:55
    3: pain and aches starting 8:39
    4: hobbling along in pain 10:30
    5: 10:35
    6: similar (phone call paused app)

Ditching that workout routine! Well peeved at setback to training :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Ed Mc

Hi Runner Mojo,

I see your keen on an ultra after Dublin Marathon.

I ran my first marathon in Dublin 13, took 2 weeks recovery, spent about 4 weeks building the miles up again and long runs up to about 18 miles and started this plan aiming at the connemara ulta as the goal race.

http://www.runnersworld.com/ultramarathons/the-ultimate-ultramarathon-training-plan

It was a tough plan at the time and I had to forgo the intervals and just cover the miles all at Lsr pace but I was fully prepared at the start line. I will say that most all of my runs were on hills which made all the difference on the day.

That's just what worked for me of course.

good luck,
    Ed.

Ed Mc wrote: »
    Hi Runner Mojo,

I see your keen on an ultra after Dublin Marathon.

I ran my first marathon in Dublin 13, took 2 weeks recovery, spent about 4 weeks building the miles up again and long runs up to about 18 miles and started this plan aiming at the connemara ulta as the goal race.

It was a tough plan at the time and I had to forgo the intervals and just cover the miles all at Lsr pace but I was fully prepared at the start line. I will say that most all of my runs were on hills which made all the difference on the day.

That's just what worked for me of course.

good luck,
    Ed.

Cheers Ed!
    I enjoy LSRs a hell of a lot more than other runs, so that sounds promising! I can stick in the earphones and just get my mojo on !

Well, went out today with a dire need to put the last run behind me, and I did.

I chose the wrong route for my 4 easy miles today and so ended up going over the distance. When the 4 mile "Workout Complete" chirped in my ear I jogged another 0.78 miles home.

So here's what today's run was like:

Mile 1: 8:31
    Mile 2: 7:46
    Mile 3: 8:18
    Mile 4: 8:27
    Mile 5 Avg: 9:20

This was my 2nd fastest run in the 4-6 mile range and I did the 4.78 miles in 40:21 - 8:26 min/mi

It was too fast for the run I was supposed to be doing but I had something to prove to myself and I delivered. 12 miles LSR tomorrow, and I am looking forward to it.

Added this to my running playlist for a little extra "oomph" https: //www. youtube.com/watch?v=JdoOXW4TpmQ

• Advertisement

12 miles done today:

Mile 1: 09:15
    Mile 2: 09:17
    Mile 3: 08:50
    Mile 4: 08:34
    Mile 5: 08:43
    Mile 6: 08:37
    Mile 7: 09:16
    Mile 8: 09:18
    Mile 9: 10:04
    Mile 10: 09:25
    Mile 11: 09:34
    Mile 12: 09:49

Still going out a little too fast for a LSR but pleased enough with it. Ended up getting lost though, and after the 12, started to walk home with thumb out ( about 5 miles).. car pulled up and a brunette woman started waving at me. I jogged over to the car and she says "Hi, we're friends on Facebook..." Turns out we are, and we met briefly a couple times at a running club I was in years ago.

It's great when life happens like that...lift home and looking forward to a hot shower and a few bottles of stout :-)

Intended to go out yesterday morning but forgot some gear (was over at mother's Sun night) and had to wait till I got home later. Was told I looked like I had just finished a run as I was starting out, so knackered was I.

My legs were achey and sore, my eyes felt glued shut. I did not want to be doing that run.

However I had just started reading "Eat & Run" by Scott Jurek and it kinda motivated me to get my ass out the door. So, 5 minutes later I settled into an easy stride, completed 4 miles then the additional 30 second sprints with 2 minute jogs in between.

Very enjoyable run - sunshine was out and a nice cool breeze. Felt like I could have run it again afterwards.

Mileage was:

Mile 1: 8:43
    Mile 2: 8:33
    Mile 3: 8:20
    Mile 4: 8:26
    Mile 5: 8:49

Mile 5 was a bit slower cos I had to do 4 abominable sprints at 90% effort for 30 seconds each. By the fourth I was slowed to a walk.

Happy with that run. Still a little too fast for the pace I am supposed to be keeping at, but found I couldn't really run any slower at the time so not going to fight the mojo when it's there.

Wanted to get out there today - was knackered after bein woken by Snorezilla beside me at 3am. Off to the attic to lie awake all night with the rain pelting off the window above me :p

Still, I got through about 10% of Scott Jurek's Eat & Run - pretty dry writing - not the mega interesting read I thought it would be, but all the same...

Paid for my Dublin Marathon entry today then hit the road to make sure I'd be able for the day.

Here's how today went:

Short log: 6.93 miles in 58:08 - 08:23min/mi - fastest training run at that distance this year.

Long log:

1 mile slow: 09:19
    1.5 miles fast: 07:48
    2 min jog: 09:17
    1.5 miles fast: 07:44
    2 min jog: 10:02
    1.5 miles fast: 08:00
    1 mile slow: 09:18

pretty pleased with that - could have kept going. The first half was all on a steady uphill climb so that was a good pace I think.

Next is 4 miles on Friday and 13 miles on Saturday then the obligatory opening of the celebratory bottles of stout. That's two 'atory's!

Part 1 of my distance training for the weekend - 4 miles today followed by 13 miles tomorrow, to allegedly mimic the tiredness I will feel in a marathon.

Was supposed to go slow (9min 30 miles/min) but just wanted to head out and enjoy a run, so ignored the plan and ran as fast as I could comfortably run:

Mile 1: 08:37
    Mile 2: 07:49
    Mile 3: 07:31
    Mile 4: 07:35

Total 4.01 miles, 31:37mins, 07:53 min/mi

Hardest thing will be to limit the beers with my curry tonight so I am pk for the 13 miles tomorrow! :-/

Went out for my 13 miler this morning - lovely bit of sunshine for once.

Headed off at a slow enough pace, arrived at Donadea Forest and did a loop inside there. Man, it's just a fight with the trees for oxygen in there. Find it really hard to get a proper lungful of air, and a couple of the trails can be a bit hilly. Good thing is, getting to the forest is all uphill and so between the uphill run to it and the trail run around it, I am getting some good training in.

Anyway, after I got back out of the forest I could breathe deep again and moseyed off home.

Pretty pleased overall with the run, but legs are already feeling it - thankfully there's still well over 2 months till the marathon!

Mile 1: 08:54
    Mile 2: 08:34
    Mile 3: 08:26
    Mile 4: 08:45
    Mile 5: 08:43
    Mile 6: 09:17
    Mile 7: 08:51
    Mile 8: 08:50
    Mile 9: 09:43
    Mile 10: 09:52
    Mile 11: 09:26
    Mile 12: 09:56
    Mile 13: 10:05

13.14 miles, 2hrs 58 seconds, 09:12 min/mile, Apprx 1,911 calories burned - so I'm alright for a rake of beer tonight :D

Just need to start thinking about hydration from now on for longer runs and get a sports bottle to hide somewhere en route to pick up on way back with water in it... pretty dehydrated after that!

• Advertisement

Well, I woke last Sunday after overdoing it a bit on the beer. Thought I was having a heart attack (not joking). Looked up the precise symptoms and found a thing called GELDS and that scared the sh!t outta me, I can tell you. I was too broke, and too scared to go to a doctor/emergency room, so despite being told I looked severely ill, I waited it out. Skipped my Monday night run cos I felt like a train had run me over. By Wednesday I just felt like a bus had run me over so I knew I was on the mend. The symptoms had also died down.
    Here's the thing - I use an app called PACT that takes $5 off me for each run I miss (but pays me out of the fund of others who don't fulfil their pacts if I complete the amount I say I will). I don't make much out of it - will pay for a new pair of trainers once a year. Cheap trainers. You can pause the app a week in advance but obviously I hadn't had a chance to do that, so I had to complete at least a half hour run on 4 different days. So from Wed on I had to get out and run or lose money.
    Well, I hit the road like I was driving the getaway zimmerframe from an old folk's home. I kid you not:

Wed:
    2:88 miles in 33:14 minutes

Thurs:
    2.82 miles in 31:02

Fri:
    2.77 miles in 30:20

See? I literally shuffled along, scared out of my wits I might drop dead any minute.

Today I decided to jump back into the training plan at the point I should be, making no allowances for the 3 sessions I had missed.
    Luckily today's plan was for an 8 miler.
    So I went and did the 8 miles - found a lovely little route that I never knew of. Great scenery and almost completely downhill, which was great for my first run after being so ill.

Did my fastest 8 mile yet.

8:01 miles in 1:07:04

Mile 1: 08:57
    Mile 2: 08:11
    Mile 3: 07:52
    Mile 4: 08:01
    Mile 5: 08:00
    Mile 6: 08:20
    Mile 7: 08:49
    Mile 8: 08:48

Ended up a bit away from home, so stopped my running app and decided to run home from there at a more leisurely pace and just enjoy running with some music on - Metallica doesn't go down well at full blast at home, so it's great to have it blasting away in my ears when I am out running.

Total mileage was 11:45 miles and I felt so fresh I could have run on to the next village just for the fun of it, but decided to be sensible and not overdo it.

Was worried I might not make it to the marathon, now I feel I will kick its butt!

Update from Monday evening's run.

This was one tough b*st*rd of a training session, but I survived it.

1 mile easy: 9:13 min/mi
    0.5 mile fast: 07:29
    45 seconds slow: 10:05
    0.5 mile fast: 08:11
    45 seconds slow: 09:29
    0.5 mile fast: 08:18
    45 seconds slow: 09:31
    0.5 mile fast: 08:25
    45 seconds slow: 09:56
    0.5 mile fast: 07:55
    45 seconds slow: 10:45
    0.5 mile fast: 07:40
    45 seconds slow: 12:57
    0.5 mile fast: 08:20
    1 mile easy: 09:11

extra half a mile for the fun of it: 09:06

Some thanks would be nice, to let me know anyone even reads my geeky update :D

Quick update:

Ran a 5k with the missus on Tuesday night - 28 mins

Did my training run last night with Ultraman1 - who seemed to glide along on air while I puffed and panted. Was NOT in flying form. Think the boozy sunny evening/night before didn't help.

1 mile slow: 09:48
    4 miles fast (mostly):
    Mile 2: 08:41
    Mile 3: 08:11
    Mile 4: 08:09
    Mile 5: 08:32

Was supposed to have been hitting 08:01 - 08:20 but considering I stopped once and had to slow to a jog twice this wasn't as bad as I had thought at the time.
    Mile 6 slow: 09:05 - bit fast for a slow mile, but Ultraman1 wasn't hanging about so I had to punish myself to keep up.

Easy 5k planned this evening with the missus as a recovery before the weekend runs start kicking in.

Total mileage since I started back running in January: 395 miles

Easy 5k last night turned into 5.5k - didn't really time it but it was slow enough.

4 miles done easy today with Ultraman

4.01 miles: 36:48 mins

Mile 1: 10:03
    Mile 2: 09:04
    Mile 3: 08:45
    Mile 4: 08:47

Total distance run in 2015: 402 miles

Looking forward to strapping on the earphones and doing 14 tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hi RM, some scary stuff in there!

What's your marathon target? What plan are you following?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Hi RM, some scary stuff in there!

What's your marathon target? What plan are you following?

Hey Murph,
    my goal is a sub 4. Will be hopefully getting 3hr 50.
    Would be happy with anything under 4, really happy with 3'50, delighted with 3'40.
    I'm using a plan off the RunKeeper app devised by some running coach and expert. You can view it here: http://runkeeper.com/fitness-class/running-marathon/10?parentTypeId=7

It's a free plan and so far it's worked well for me. I've lost over a stone and dropped about a minute and a half off my previous fastest pace.

Training log:
    Got new trainers in Elverys on Sun. Was a little dubious about the guy who helped me choose them. On one hand he seemed to know a lot about what he was doing (I stood on that glass thing for the gait check, etc.) but he recommended shoes with arch support for me cos my arches are extremely low. I had already told him I had done over 500 miles in the pair I was wearing and that they were great. He said they were a great shoe, starting mentioning a lot of stuff about them (they are the best trainers I ever got) and obviously knew they had no arch support.. anyway, long story short - went training last night, came home, arches of my feet were killing me! Took about an hour for the pain to go. Pretty pissed off I bought those trainers now. Have 2 months to the marathon, one pair of old knackered trainers, one pair of new, useless trainers and f*ck al in the bank to buy a new pair - is it ok to go asking to change trainers if you have worn them? I dunno.

Training session details:

6.82 miles in 1hr 50 seconds

1 mile easy 09:20 m/m
    0.25 mile fast 07:05 m/m
    2min 10 sec slow 09:09
    0.25 fast 07:05 m/m
    2min 10 sec slow 08:50
    0.25 fast 06:45 m/m
    2min 10 sec slow 09:38
    0.25 fast 07:11 m/m
    2min 10 sec slow 09:29
    0.25 fast 07:15 m/m
    2min 10 sec slow 10:46
    0.25 fast 07:47 m/m
    2min 10 sec slow 11:08
    0.25 fast 06:57 m/m
    2min 10 sec slow 10:03
    0.25 fast 07:28 m/m
    2min 10 sec slow 10:46
    1.8 miles easy 09:49

Wasn't as tough as last week's session with 0.5 mile speedwork, but the schedule is starting to ramp up in difficulty and I am finding it a little tougher than before.

P****ed off about my running shoes.:mad:

Missed last Wednesday's run cos I brought my daughter up to Belfast to see 21 Pilots...

Caught up on Friday evening with 5 miles - 43 mins

Mile 1: 09:11
    Mile 2: 08:34
    Mile 3: 08:28
    Mile 4: 08:21
    Mile 5: 08:19

Felt great at the end and followed that with 15 miles on Saturday morning:

Mile 1: 09:13
    Mile 2: 08:40
    Mile 3: 08:56
    Mile 4: 08:42
    Mile 5: 08:41
    Mile 6: 09:05
    Mile 7: 08:49
    Mile 8: 08:52
    Mile 9: 08:50
    Mile 10: 08:49
    Mile 11: 09:02
    Mile 12: 08:49
    Mile 13: 08:44
    Mile 14: 09:01
    Mile 15: 08:46

Felt pretty fresh after that, and followed it up with a march around Dublin city centre with the other dissidents who want rid of Enda Kenny and Joan Burton.

2 months to go to the marathon and need to email Asics as I got no help from Elverys over the running shoe situation. Anyone want to buy a pair of Asics - worn once?

Ok - got kinda lazy with logging - but it's all on my phone so I will just regurgitate everything here:

Last Monday: wasn't feeling the running magic, put it off till Tuesday
    Last Tuesday: wasn't feeling the running magic, put it off till Wednesday

Last Wednesday: 6.46 miles

Mile 1: 09:56
    Mile 2: 07:49
    Mile 3: 08:50
    Mile 4: 08:14
    Mile 5: 08:31
    Mile 6: 08:53

Last Thursday: 6:33 miles

Mile 1: 08:41
    Mile 2: 07:33
    Mile 3: 08:08
    Mile 4: 08:25
    Mile 5: 08:24
    Mile 6: 09:20

Last Friday: 6:01 miles

Out with Ultraman & A Tri-guy

Mile 1: 09:40
    Mile 2: 09:09
    Mile 3: 08:44
    Mile 4: 09:01
    Mile 5: 09:00
    Mile 6: 08:47

Saturday: 16 miles

Mile 1: 08:56
    Mile 2: 08:53
    Mile 3: 08:59
    Mile 4: 08:54
    Mile 5: 09:08
    Mile 6: 09:22
    Mile 7: 09:24
    Mile 8: 09:00
    Mile 9: 08:58
    Mile 10: 08:53
    Mile 11: 09:02
    Mile 12: 09:19
    Mile 13: 09:47
    Mile 14: 09:16
    Mile 15: 09:34
    Mile 16: Battery died, so no idea about this split, or total time, but happy enough with it.

More intervals tonight and a break with the long run just being 10 miles on Saturday. Looking ahead to the following week I am going to be punished severely!! :-/

Another few miles in the bag this evening - 478 since my 3 milers 3 times a week in January.

5.57 miles

4 slow @ 08:55
    00:30 mins @ 07:52
    2.00 mins 08:46
    00:30 mins @ 06:30
    2.00 mins 08:43
    00:30 mins @ 07:20
    2.00 mins 09:03
    00:30 mins @ 06:02
    2.00 mins 09:33
    00:30 mins @ 06:46
    2.00 mins 09:07
    00:30 mins @ 06:27

Feelin fresher than I did going out! Roll on the rest of Easy Week.

Went out for a 7 miler - breezed through it and could easily have done it again - felt incredible and afterwards it was like I hadn't even ran, whereas that would have been a major achievement at the start of this year.

Mile 1: 09:19
    Mile 2: 08:49
    Mile 3: 09:13
    Mile 4: 09:09
    Mile 5: 08:41
    Mile 6: 08:31
    Mile 7: 08:29

• Advertisement

5 miles with a reluctant Ultraman in the rain last night. Very romantic.

Mile 1: 09:55
    Mile 2: 09:31
    Mile 3: 08:57
    Mile 4: 09:16
    Mile 5: 08:59

10 today - supposed to be takin it easy but I felt good and thought I'd see how I might do at marathon pace:

(btw I just hit over 500 miles for the year)

Mile 1: 09:03
    Mile 2: 08:26
    Mile 3: 08:22
    Mile 4: 08:27
    Mile 5: 08:15
    Mile 6: 08:22
    Mile 7: 08:21
    Mile 8: 08:35
    Mile 9: 08:28
    Mile 10: 08:18

Total time 1hr 24

Intervals day:

1 mile slow: 08:55
    0.62 mile fast: 07:05
    1min30 slow: 09:04
    0.62 mile fast: 07:02
    1min30 slow: 09:28
    0.62 mile fast: 07:46
    1min30 slow: 10:27
    0.62 mile fast: 07:35
    1min30 slow: 10:47
    0.62 mile fast: 07:39
    1 mile slow: 09:21

followed by a 1.69 mile trot with the mrs.

514 miles so far since back into running. Henceforth, to be known as "so far"

Wed - one of my best runs so far (probably ever):

INTERVALS PACE
    1.00 mile slow 9:17
    2.00 miles fast 7:58
    3:00 minutes steady 8:47
    2.00 miles fast 7:51
    3:00 minutes steady 8:52
    2.00 miles fast 8:02
    1.00 mile slow 9:18

Total miles so far: 523

Have a load of visitors over from abroad for a wedding so things have been hectic and I forgot to update my log:

Friday:

8 Miles steady

Mile 1: 08:58
    Mile 2: 08:32
    Mile 3: 08:26
    Mile 4: 08:03
    Mile 5: 08:16
    Mile 6: 08:17
    Mile 7: 08:35
    Mile 8: 08:49

Well happy with that one!

Saturday:
    Mile 1: 09:30
    Mile 2: 08:51
    Mile 3: 08:42
    Mile 4: 08:54
    Mile 5: 09:04
    Mile 6: 09:20
    Mile 7: 09:01
    Mile 8: 09:17
    Mile 9: 10:12
    Mile 10: 09:15
    Mile 11: 09:13
    Mile 12: 09:38
    Mile 13: 08:38
    Mile 14: 09:17
    Mile 15: 09:51
    Mile 16: 10:32
    Mile 17: 14:15
    Mile 18: 12:31

Went out a little slower, conscious of the increased distance. I also wasn't properly hydrated and planned on grabbing water in a pub en route - except it was closed!
    AND the entire way out was on a gradual elevation until mile 8.5 - where it was a f***ing massive steep hill! Dehydrated and highly fatigued, that was painful!
    En route back, pub was open, grabbed a pint of water.
    At mile about 16.5 or 17 miles I walked a half a mile, hamstrings were killing me by the end of the run.

Not a good idea to drink 3 large bottles of beer the night before.
    Not a good idea NOT to have hydrated properly.
    Not a good idea to have run that distance without a proper water plan.
    Not a good idea to have gone on a constant uphill run for so long.
    Oh, well... distance done!

Monday: Intervals day

Mile 1: Slow - 09:29
    Mile 2: Fast - 08:04
    One minute slow: 09:29
    Mile 3: Fast - 07:41
    One minute slow: 09:54
    Mile 4: Fast - 07:26
    One minute slow: 09:18
    Mile 5: Fast - 07:29
    One Minute slow: 08:56
    Mile 6: Fast - 08:03
    Mile 7: Slow - 08:05

Fastest run of the year for that distance - happy with that.

Advertisement