Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

planning & certification small extension + renovation project?

• 28-07-2015 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

I am planning on renovating a small house, including demolishing most of a 1970's/ 80's single storey extension and replacing with a 2 storey extension on the same footprint. Current extension is 12 sq. meters, new extension will therefore be 24 sq meters. I believe I need to apply for planning permission despite the small size (well under 40sq m), because it is a 2 storey extension. However, I have been told that I don't need to get a Certificate of Compliance with building regs from an architect/engineer, because the size of the extension is under 40 sq meters. Is this true?

I will be partly demolishing a load bearing wall on the ground floor and 1st floor, and removing one half of the pitched roof (roof over back half of house) and replacing with a flat roof which will extend over the new extension. I also need to damp proof the house and possibly pour a new concrete floor (haven't seen what is under the floorboards yet), and re-locate the stairs. House was built circa 1860. Can anyone tell me if I need a certifier for any or all of the works - a) the extension b) installation of steel beams to support part of wall being demolished c) changes to roof and new flat roof extension d) new concrete floor e) move stairs and other changes to internal layout of house

I have had a quote from an architect for design, supervision and certification (including engineer to certify structural work - essentially just the steel beam). It amounts to nearly 10k in professional fees, for a house that will measure under 72 sq meters when completed.

Do I need to have any or all of this work certified? Do I need to employ an architect or engineer to submit a planning application, or can I get an unqualified person to draw up and submit plans?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

TSQ wrote: »
    Do I need to have any or all of this work certified?

In my opinion yes, you need the work certified. you are altering the structure of the house and you and your family will be living there.
    Do I need to employ an architect or engineer to submit a planning application, or can I get an unqualified person to draw up and submit plans?

Any suitable person can lodge the application. The problem is that you are then getting another person in to supervise the construction works so essentially paying 2 people. It may save you money depending.

At the very least you need an Engineer here to inspect the structural works, design the structural works and to certify same on completion.

You will also need him/her to issue a certificate of compliance with planning and building regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Thanks KCeire. However desirable, do the new regs oblige me to get certification? as I assume, given human nature, that I will be quoted more for this if it is a legal requirement than if I can take it or leave it as an option. As I say, I am shocked at the level of professional fees for such a small job - and these don't include planning fees, advertising, etc.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,704 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

However, I have been told that I don't need to get a Certificate of Compliance with building regs from an architect/engineer, because the size of the extension is under 40 sq meters. Is this true?

thats absolutely NOT true

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks KCeire. However desirable, do the new regs oblige me to get certification? as I assume, given human nature, that I will be quoted more for this if it is a legal requirement than if I can take it or leave it as an option. As I say, I am shocked at the level of professional fees for such a small job - and these don't include planning fees, advertising, etc.

No they dont currently.
    Depending on the size of the project and when you start will determine if you need mandatory Certification or not.

But, who will ensure your project complies with the Building Regulations?
    Depending on your location also, can determine the pricing you pay.

Maybe post your location and somebody might give you a pointer in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I am planning on renovating a small house, including demolishing most of a 1970's/ 80's single storey extension and replacing with a 2 storey extension on the same footprint. Current extension is 12 sq. meters, new extension will therefore be 24 sq meters. I believe I need to apply for planning permission despite the small size (well under 40sq m), because it is a 2 storey extension. However, I have been told that I don't need to get a Certificate of Compliance with building regs from an architect/engineer, because the size of the extension is under 40 sq meters. Is this true?

I will be partly demolishing a load bearing wall on the ground floor and 1st floor, and removing one half of the pitched roof (roof over back half of house) and replacing with a flat roof which will extend over the new extension. I also need to damp proof the house and possibly pour a new concrete floor (haven't seen what is under the floorboards yet), and re-locate the stairs. House was built circa 1860. Can anyone tell me if I need a certifier for any or all of the works - a) the extension b) installation of steel beams to support part of wall being demolished c) changes to roof and new flat roof extension d) new concrete floor e) move stairs and other changes to internal layout of house

I have had a quote from an architect for design, supervision and certification (including engineer to certify structural work - essentially just the steel beam). It amounts to nearly 10k in professional fees, for a house that will measure under 72 sq meters when completed.

Do I need to have any or all of this work certified? Do I need to employ an architect or engineer to submit a planning application, or can I get an unqualified person to draw up and submit plans?

???

:eek:

they must have meant that you might not need planning permission but planning permission or not; you must adhere to building regulations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

The project is in north Dublin city centre - if anyone has recently completed a small renovation project and has had a good experience would appreciate a recommendation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

You will need to get the thing certified for building regs. You can under some conditions build a two storey extension without PP so long as size and boundary proximity criterion are fufilled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭AlanG

Sorry to drag up an old thread but dis you ever get further with the certification. I was in a similar position and several engineers and architects told me I need an assigned certifier however legally I did not as S.I. 9 of 2014 only applies to
    any building works that involve any of the following:

- A Fire Safety Certificate (ie, most non-residential buildings but including apartments)

- The construction of a domestic dwelling.

- The extension of a dwelling where the extension is >40sq.m in floor area.

-snip-

I have completed my project which did have planning permission due to changes to the front but did not need an assigned certifier due to it being less than 40m2. haven spoken with lots of people in the BCMS section it is amazing how many professionals do nto understand the new regulations.

That said if i go to sell the property the bank may still require that an architect sign off on the build as has always been the case to say there is nothing obvious wrong, this is not the same as an assigned certificate. OP did you get any further information on the requirements?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,704 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

AlanG wrote: »
    I have completed my project which did have planning permission due to changes to the front but did not need an assigned certifier due to it being less than 40m2. haven spoken with lots of people in the BCMS section it is amazing how many professionals do nto understand the new regulations.

SI 9 is no longer the "new regulations" as it was supeceded by SI 365 of 2015

http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,42561,en.pdf

while extensions under 40 sq m did not have to comply with SI 9 of 2014, they still are required to comply fully with building regulations, and certification of compliance with this is what is required by mortgage institutions and / or the conveyancing process.

Advertisement