Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Running Club

Options
  • 28-07-2015 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I recall something about Boards own running club.. I run on my own (not affiliated I mean) so wondering how to join the Boards club? How much does it cost etc?

Cheers :-)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I recall something about Boards own running club.. I run on my own (not affiliated I mean) so wondering how to join the Boards club? How much does it cost etc?

Cheers :-)

Pretty sure it no longer exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Runner Mojo

Really? I thought I saw it as an option on a race entry recently..

Yeah, just checked - Boards AC still shows up when entering the marathon...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There did used to be a Boards AC affiliated with Athletic Ireland for a couple of years, but it is no more.

The club disbanded after a couple of years and we then mostly joined other clubs, but was amongst the best things to come out of this place. It convinced this runner and various others who were under the impression that they were not good enough to join a "real" club that they really were, and those other clubs are actually really welcoming and suitable for all standards of athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Yeah, just checked - Boards AC still shows up when entering the marathon...
    It's probably just a list of all club names that have ever been entered in the marathon. Not an indicator of current status

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I think there is still a boards strava club.

robinph wrote: »
    There did used to be a Boards AC affiliated with Athletic Ireland for a couple of years, but it is no more.

The club disbanded after a couple of years and we then mostly joined other clubs, but was amongst the best things to come out of this place. It convinced this runner and various others who were under the impression that they were not good enough to join a "real" club that they really were, and those other clubs are actually really welcoming and suitable for all standards of athlete.

That's a pity, I would have liked to join it if it was still around... I don't really want the drama of a running club, but a "virtual" one would have been right up my street!

6781 wrote: »
    I think there is still a boards strava club.

I'm doing a training plan on Runkeeper so am trying to stick with the one app - and since Steve Jobs is a scabby **** with Apple memroy, I haven't got space for new apps.

I don't suppose there's a Runkeeper group?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I'm doing a training plan on Runkeeper so am trying to stick with the one app - and since Steve Jobs is a scabby **** with Apple memroy, I haven't got space for new apps.

I don't suppose there's a Runkeeper group?
    You can use tapiriik to transfer over all your runs if you wish to change.

6781 wrote: »
    You can use tapiriik to transfer over all your runs if you wish to change.

I actually really prefer Runkeeper, thanks. Plus I have it synced with PACT to give me extra motivation to get my ass out the door (it tracks my motion - not getting my quotia of runs = $5 out of my pocket for every run)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That's a pity, I would have liked to join it if it was still around... I don't really want the drama of a running club, but a "virtual" one would have been right up my street!

That is almost exactly what I said back when Boards AC was just the formations of an idea in Woddles eye. Do try out an established local club though, they really are great to be part of and not at all scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

What "drama" do local running clubs have?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    What "drama" do local running clubs have?

I'm just not a fan of personal politics etc. Been there, done that, have the t-shirt :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm just not a fan of personal politics etc. Been there, done that, have the t-shirt :-)

You can join a running club and not turn up to any training sessions. Depending on the club, it may cost about the same as the boards club used to.

Also a bit puzzled by the drama thing, unless you bring the drama with you...

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

I think you will find all clubs, even online/virtual ones will have some degree of personal politics.

I think you will find all clubs, even online/virtual ones will have some degree of personal politics.

Yeah, that's true enough - just thought if there was an online one where you just adopt the club name for entries and compare your stats and chat with others on the site it would be all I wanted.

Anyway, moot point as they say, considerin it's a gonner now anyway.

Yeah, that's true enough - just thought if there was an online one where you just adopt the club name for entries and compare your stats and chat with others on the site it would be all I wanted.

Well you can do the comparing stats, and chatting with others on here still, as well as discussing training plans etc. Just to get the cool racing vests to wear and discounted race entry you'll now need to join a "real" club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Yep, the boards club may still appear in lists as its it technically still exists and is in a on hold status or similar. If someone wanted it wouldn't be to hard to set up but there wasn't the need. I still think the idea is good and its a way of getting people into so called real clubs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

shels4ever wrote: »
    Yep, the boards club may still appear in lists as its it technically still exists and is in a on hold status or similar. If someone wanted it wouldn't be to hard to set up but there wasn't the need. I still think the idea is good and its a way of getting people into so called real clubs.

I in this regard maybe Parkrun has been great.

Dub13 wrote: »
    I in this regard maybe Parkrun has been great.

I hadn't thought of parkrun - will look into that... cheers! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement