Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mafia 3 Confirmed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭omerin

Have they just ****ed up the franchise? So this appears to be just another fps where you kill the bad guys. It just so happens that they are in the Mafia.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It's not FPS at all.

I agree Myrddin, nothing will beat that classic feel of Mafia 1 but I think they realise they're moving away from that with the main character in this. Looks like it could be a game in a new franchise but who knows how it will play out with the actual Mafia in the game. Really looking forward to it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    It's not FPS at all.

I agree Myrddin, nothing will beat that classic feel of Mafia 1 but I think they realise they're moving away from that with the main character in this. Looks like it could be a game in a new franchise but who knows how it will play out with the actual Mafia in the game. Really looking forward to it anyway.

I commend the originality in that you're against the mob this time, that's an interesting turn. I'd have liked the series to remain in an earlier time period though, & I think it could have, given this time the roles are reversed. Ah, can't say too much, there's only so much you can tell from a pre rendered cut scene anyway :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Was expecting/hoping the game would start sept 27th 1951 :(

Hoping for a 50/60s game with room for a 70s for part 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

http://m.ie.ign.com/articles/2015/08/05/mafia-3-exposes-the-dirty-new-face-of-organized-crime

I can't wait for it, it was always bound to moved into the 60's.

• Advertisement

Wasn't expecting to see gameplay. Looks a bit like Saints Row with the hideouts. Would really like to play mafia 2 again now if i still had a ps3.

Should be a very interesting storyline now with the civil rights movements and your character being mixed race. Still wish it was fully eye-talian gangster based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

The character's mixed heritage being relevant to the setting and how NPCs treat him is a bold move. Looking forward to seeing if they can pull it off without being preachy.

I also notice one of the gang leaders who can aid Lincoln is a guy called Burke, head of an Irish gang. I hope they're actually Irish-American - not sure I can stomach Oirish accents. I still suffer flashbacks to Jaunty in Shadow Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I'm hoping for a nice long Vietnam section just to get more 60's music in. :)

Would be cool if there was flashback missions in Vietnam

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Dair76 wrote: »
    I still suffer flashbacks to Jaunty in Shadow Man.
    Jaunty was more Dustin the Turkey than anything else. :pac:

• Advertisement

Video from Gamescon with a good bit of gameplay footage. This is looking very arcadey from the drifting points, cars that explode if you look at them wrong, the insta zoom when you aim a gun and guys flying over furniture from one shot. People not happy in the comments section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Video from Gamescon with a good bit of gameplay footage

Oh no :( I'd be hoping a lot of that still has to be tightened up, the car explosions are ridiculous....it looks like an arcade game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Don't get a good feeling from that gameplay footage. Looks completely OTT and a lot of the visuals/animations look stiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Mafia I was legendary

II was absolute muck in comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

That doesn't look overly promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Noblong wrote: »
    I'm hoping for a nice long Vietnam section just to get more 60's music in. :)

what a song, had never heard it! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The fuel tanks in those cars must be made out of paper :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

2 was miles better than 1 :confused:

Both are very good games but not feeling it for 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

2 might have been a more accomplished game mechanically but a lot of people feel it didnt have the same impact as Mafia 1's narrative. Maybe a bit of it is rose tinted glasses but back in 2002 Mafia was something else. When I think of cinematic games that made you sit up and take notice of what was going on, Mafia 1 is certainly one of them.

• Advertisement

Agricola wrote: »
    2 might have been a more accomplished game mechanically but a lot of people feel it didnt have the same impact as Mafia 1's narrative. Maybe a bit of it is rose tinted glasses but back in 2002 Mafia was something else. When I think of cinematic games that made you sit up and take notice of what was going on, Mafia 1 is certainly one of them.

Never played 1 but played 2 and I'd still consider it one of the best games in my collection. Apart from San Andreas and The Last of Us it was the most interesting game I ever played from a story perspective.

With regards to cinematic games you describe it's been a while since I've played one, or what I'd consider one because imo theres not many out there. The Last of Us been the one, before that LaNoire which was good but looking back it was quite average (game engine and story), Red Dead...., and Mafia 2.

I'm not going to be too quick to assume badly of Mafia 3, okay the gameplay does look quite cheesy/arcadey compared to 2 but otherwise until I play it I'll reserve judgement.

2k are keeping very quite on this, 4-5 months on and nothing still.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Polar101

Really enjoyed 1 back when it came out. 2 wasn't quite as good, and the script was hilariously bad (which made it funnier than it should have been).

I think they need something more than shooting lots of enemies and driving around in 3 for it to be successful.

Rumor of this been released this month was obviously a spoof. The wait really better be worth it.

Apparently we also find out the faith of Joe from mafia 2

I really want this to be good but it just doesn't look like a Mafia game. Anytime I see a bit of footage, it just makes me want to play Mafia 2 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

I really want this to be good but it just doesn't look like a Mafia game.

Yeah, looks more like GTA in 60's New Orleans.
    Can't wait to play it though,
    for 2 reasons 1, I loved the 1&2 and
    2, I'm sick of GTA being modern day.

Looks like some info coming our way tomorrow after a postcard from New Bordeaux on the official twitter page was decoded. Also, New Bordeaux is a city in the the leaked Red Dead Redemption 2 map. Would be very interesting to see both linked if the RDR map is actually true.
    The mafia 3 twitter posted this:
    PQMDX JHUU SAPPMYZQP KQMDE MRFQD MXX FTUE FUYQ KAGP FTUZN GZOXG EMX FAGXP SQF FUDQP AR VMYYUZS TUE TQM GB YK MEE UXWQ FTMFE QHQD SAZZM OTMZSQ UXX PQMX IUFT UF ITMF U OMZF PQMX IUFT UE TAI FTUE BXMOQ UE M SAP PMYZQP EIQMF NAT KAG ZQQP YQ NMOW AZ AGD RMHADUFQ GZOXQ MRFQD U EBQMW IUFT TUY ZQJF IQQN TQDQ SQFFUZ FASQFTQD AZ MBDUX JUJ MF HUUU MY BF JUFA

It uses roman numerals and a Ceaser cipher shifted 14 places when you decipher it using that method you get:

DEARL XVII GODDAMNED YEARS AFTER ALL THIS TIME YOUD THINK UNCLE SAL WOULD GET TIRED OF JAMMING HIS HEAD UP MY ASS LIKE THATS EVER GONNA CHANGE ILL DEAL WITH IT WHAT I CANT DEAL WITH IS HOW THIS PLACE IS A GOD DAMNED SWEAT BOX YOU NEED ME BACK ON OUR FAVORITE UNCLE AFTER I SPEAK WITH HIM NEXT WEEK HERE GETTIN TOGETHER ON APRIL 19 AT 6 A M PT VITO
    (After some formatting changes)

It is a message from Vito to Lincoln from what I gather and they will be "getting together" on the 19th this month

October 7th has been confirmed as the release date.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Could be interesting, the trailer looks like the story might be fun, but you can already imagine the tropes they'll use in their head.

Advertisement