Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mafia 3 Confirmed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Falthyron wrote: »
    I don't think the lack of review code before release is indicative of anything anymore. DOOM didn't receive reviews until 3-4 days after release and I am pretty sure it will be a GOTY contender.
    The whole Doom thing has been quite dangerous to gaming. I remember people posting similar comments online like the post above in reference to No Mans Sky when they were pre-ordering and we know how that panned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

The whole Doom thing has been quite dangerous to gaming. I remember people posting similar comments online like the post above in reference to No Mans Sky when they were pre-ordering and we know how that panned out.

True, and while (for the most part) holding back reviews is generally a red flag, it shouldn't be a universal indicator as to the quality of the game. Bioshock Infinite's reviews didn't come out until the day before release and that turned out to be a resounding success.

Unfortunately, there are more games that turn out to be poor when the reviews are held back than turn out to be excellent. Then again, The Division was another and it received, roughly, 8/10. Which is a solid score, but perhaps not a score to celebrate in the age of 9/10 or 10/10 being the definition of a successful game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Remember, like all games, if Mafia III turns out to be a masterpiece, horse**** or (most likely) somewhere vaguely in between those two poles, you will know within hours of the game being available to play :) There has never been a better time for being able to make an informed, considered and externally vetted purchasing decision about video games!

I will add to the chorus of anti-Asendia sentiment, however. Have had a rake of misplaced or delayed deliveries with them, to the point where I'm reluctant to order from Amazon anymore - and that's even allowing for the fact I'm rarely in any particular rush to get the orders in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yes, I happened to click on video made yesterday going into great detail about how the person was ****ed over by No Man's Sky, complete with demonizing of Sean Murray etc. now I never bought the game but god damn, you stop yourself having to make 'it isn't what they promised' videos in a months time by waiting possibly as little as 6 hours before clicking that big shiny 'Purchase' button that makes your cash fall out of your account.

When I first saw this properly, I was like that's gonna be a hit. Seeing more gameplay I'm like, nah defo not considering this until the dust has well and truly settled

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep, I have to admit I have little sympathy for people who end up with a dud or even a game they don't like (as a NMS fan, I feel it's important to note that difference :p) based solely on their keenness for having it on 'day one'. It's that rampant consumerism that seems to actively ignore the aforementioned complete abundance of opinions and information about games available these days.

If Mafia III is indeed great, it isn't going anywhere if you wait two or three days (or, indeed, two or three months or years) to find that out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Yep, I have to admit I have little sympathy for people who end up with a dud or even a game they don't like (as a NMS fan, I feel it's important to note that difference :p) based solely on their keenness for having it on 'day one'. It's that rampant consumerism that seems to actively ignore the aforementioned complete abundance of opinions and information about games available these days.

If Mafia III is indeed great, it isn't going anywhere if you wait two or three days (or, indeed, two or three months or years) to find that out :)

I paid 50euros on simplygames.com if I don't like It I can easily trade it into ceX and get at least 48quid that's the price they give for most new titles on launch week

it's mainly buying it digitally for 70euros that I have a problem with your completely stuck with and you get no money back whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Yeah, what happened to digital only supposedly being cheaper?
    Windows 10 store is the worst I've seen yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I don't think the lack of review code before release is indicative of anything anymore. DOOM didn't receive reviews until 3-4 days after release and I am pretty sure it will be a GOTY contender for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

The Game Collection have shipped their copies today,doubt it will get here by Friday though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

bigphil2 wrote:
    The Game Collection have shipped their copies today,doubt it will get here by Friday though..

My Fifa was here on Thursday morning when shipped last Tuesday lunch time. Should have this Friday.

• Advertisement

My Fifa was here on Thursday morning when shipped last Tuesday lunch time. Should have this Friday.

Ooh..Encouraging!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

bigphil2 wrote: »

They've always got my copies of games to me on release day. They're pretty reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I know it's easy to say but holding off on games is always the way to go. Argos may do a decent deal as a bricks and mortar shop and a lot of websites are fast enough with delivery.

Guess it's easy for me as I have a big backlog to go through, only bought Doom a week ago (for about €24).

I have a big backlog to go through, only bought Doom a week ago (for about €24).

Got it and UC4 last month,just started Doom yesterday.. Its just incredible!
    Very Possible GOTY material..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I caved and bought it but I have good reasoning.

Elite Guardians is out next week and BF1 the week after so I have about 8 days to love or hate Mafia 3.

Looks like this will unlock on Steam at 11pm tonight. I intend to play it for a few hours and I will be streaming on Steam, people are more than welcome to watch and ask questions about performance/specs/gameplay, etc. I am a huge fan of the Mafia franchise, so I am pretty excited to get stuck in! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

^^^
    Have you got an Nvidia GPU?

Are game ready drivers set to drop this evening, do you know?

marcbrophy wrote: »
    ^^^
    Have you got an Nvidia GPU?

Are game ready drivers set to drop this evening, do you know?

Nah, I am on AMD. Although, I hear a driver for Nvidia might be arriving at some point today.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Was gonna just rock to Argos friday to hopefully pick it up for 50ish but just remembered the new tomb raider is out next week so that's thrown a spanner in the works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Nah, I am on AMD. Although, I hear a driver for Nvidia might be arriving at some point today.

Thanks, hope it plays well for you!

How big is the pre-load files from steam?

I'm still waiting on my steam key from amazon, so I'm going to have to download it after release

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Just got my key from G2play.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Was gonna just rock to Argos friday to hopefully pick it up for 50ish but just remembered the new tomb raider is out next week so that's thrown a spanner in the works for me.

I pre-ordered tomb raider from simply games for around €41 and they dispatched it yesterday even though it's not out until Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

PC version locked to 30fps according to early streamers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Day One patch on PS4 is 2.6gb

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Thanks, hope it plays well for you!

How big is the pre-load files from steam?

I'm still waiting on my steam key from amazon, so I'm going to have to download it after release

It was just over 40gb. Hopefully not much else to download when it releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

My copy arrived in Dublin PM depot today so should have it tomorrow morning. €48 all in. Looking forward to playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Is that the one thats been on xbox for months now RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER I think its called. If so its a brilliant game, I cleared it on the XB1 and really enjoyed it. I preferred it to Uncharted 4 TBH....my pick it up on steam to test out my new GTX1060.

High praise indeed! The last TR game was alright, ending up sligging through just to finish it. Loved the first 2 Mafia's but worried the sandbox gameplay / busy work will be a bit generic. I'd be weary of reviews as well as Mafia 2 got mixed reviews and i put off biting it for a year, really regretted that.

Actually leaning towards Mafia with the launch trailer, great stuff altogether made better by Ice Cube and DJ Shadow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

ShaneU wrote: »
    PC version locked to 30fps according to early streamers

pcgamer just picked up on that too
    http://www.pcgamer.com/mafia-3-appears-to-be-locked-to-30fps-on-pc/

Advertisement