Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man avoids jail after violenty killing dog

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I just saw this on Facebook I can't quite believe it it's just disgusting and no ban on having animals in the future because the judge thinks his child shouldn't miss out on having a dog! I would beg to differ :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Avoiding jail is one thing, but not imposing a ban on owning animals is absolutely crazy. The guy claims that he thought he was doing the right thing, which if true, is only further evidence that he simply isn't a capable or competent animal owner.

FFS :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

'He said he would not impose a ban on Dowling keeping animals, as he didn’t want to deprive the man’s child of having a dog'

This is the part that I find most alarming. He butchers a defenseless animal to death in broad daylight, yet the incompetent judge does nothing. Sure let him get another animal to kill.

I think the child should have been taken from his care, if he can't mind an animal, never mind a human. Absolute idiot

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I think the child should have been taken from his care, if he can't mind an animal, never mind a human.

This is the bit that really alarms me... he is caring for a child? Even though his violence to the dog was blamed on his being on prescription medication, the inference being that he wasn't in full control of his actions? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I heard it was actually kids who called the guards on him - so kids could see that what he was doing was wrong but the justice system yet again pretty much turns a blind eye. I wouldn't want somebody capable of doing that looking after an pet of mine let alone a child?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

No the worst part is that a judge consider 100 hours of social work = 1 year in jail; i mean seriously who thinks up these type of ideas? He got a 2 year sentence commuted to 200 hours of social work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I can see why the judge might not have wanted to send him to jail, with regards being a father but why the hell let him have another animal legally is beyond me. Having a dog isn't a basic human right, it should be earned. If antidepressants had that affect on him, what was he doing near children???

They're talking about this on 98fm now!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

tk123 wrote: »
    I heard it was actually kids who called the guards on him - so kids could see that what he was doing was wrong but the justice system yet again pretty much turns a blind eye. I wouldn't want somebody capable of doing that looking after an pet of mine let alone a child?!

And he claimed he thought he was doing the right thing! Absolutely disgusting!

Ashbx wrote: »
    And he claimed he thought he was doing the right thing! Absolutely disgusting!

The idiot on the radio defending him 'it's only a dog' :mad::mad: He was 10 mins away from my vet who he could have surrendered the dog to as a stray or ffs just leave it in the college grounds and somebody was bound to have taken it in/to a vet?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

He didn't just kill a dog, he killed it in the most disgusting way which would have been a horrific death for the poor animal and he did this in full view of the public including children with no thought for the impact on them. The guy is a psycho and cannot be trusted around anyone let alone an animal or child. He needs help. I don't know what the judge was thinking. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

He swung the dog with his lead and smacked him off the ground 30 times and no one stopped him ????? I'd have beat him up and down the park if I seen him. Can't believe people just watched

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

What's even worse is the Irish Blue Cross is a charity which provides low income families with subsidised health care! So its not like he even tried to get help for this dog.

I just cant get over this was a family dog of 9 years and they had no remorse killing it. And then the judge comes out and says "I don't want to stop his child having a dog". His child had a dog and the father decided to kill it!!

rottie 11 wrote: »
    He swung the dog with his lead and smacked him off the ground 30 times and no one stopped him ????? I'd have beat him up and down the park if I seen him. Can't believe people just watched

It was mostly kids there at the time so not a lot they could do except raise the alarm.. Which was a waste of time in the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

tk123 wrote: »
    It was mostly kids there at the time so not a lot they could do except raise the alarm.. Which was a waste of time in the end!

There was surely some adults there. Fair play to the kids who called the guards tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Heaven help that child if he gets chickenpox or the like and is whiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭compo1

I'd understand if the judge had ordered him to spend time in a mental institution, but to just let him walk? Mind-boggling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    I just saw this on Facebook I can't quite believe it it's just disgusting and no ban on having animals in the future because the judge thinks his child shouldn't miss out on having a dog! I would beg to differ :(
    There was a thread on this in After Hours and it really got to me. I just can't understand why the judge wouldn't impose a ban on him keeping animals. It's not like the child would never get to have a pet again. When they grow up and are responsible, they would own as many pets as they liked.

We had pets when we were young and sometimes they had to be put down due to illness/old age. It was our mother who broke the news to us and that was distressing but we understood that it was in the animal's best interest. It would've made me look at my mother in a very different light if I knew she had tried to smother and then batter to death my beloved pet.

Who's to say that he won't do the same again? and if the child is old enough to understand what happened, maybe they'd be too afraid to have another pet in case their father did the same thing.

It was a terrible sentence and sends out the message to other scumbag owners that animals don't matter and it's ok to abuse and batter them and you won't face any consequences :(:mad:

Advertisement