Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf at the Olympics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Jawgap wrote: »
    Well, from personal experience you're wrong on that point - I know a couple of lads I helped coach now at uni in the UK playing sevens. Will they end up playing 15-a-side rugby? Eventually - the fitness levels involved in Sevens mean it's difficult for players to remain competitive beyond their late 20s (yes, I know there are examples of players who play into their early 30s, but they are not typical).

No player who is offered a pro contract is going to turn it down to remain an amateur (unless there are reasons unrelated to sport) - that's why Moran and Quinn took the boat - why play an amateur sport when you can play a professional one?

If your idea is right - that Sevens is a watered down version of 15-a-side Rugby - then good Sevens players should make good 15-a-side players, and good (young) 15-a-side players should make good Sevens players - that is emphatically not the case.

In fact one of the reasons the Kiwis have been so so successful at Sevens is because they maintain it as a separate development stream - there is some crossover but both games are littered with players who tried to make the jump between them and failed spectacularly - just as there were and are many who try to make the jump from Union to League (or vice versa) and fail spectacularly (or worse end up injured).

There are even a few who try to jump from rugby to American Football......and fail spectacularly!

15-a-side rugby is a collision sport, Sevens is a contact sport - typically, for example, there are between 3 and 4 tackles attempted or made in an average minute an elite 15-a-side rugby game and a ruck every 45 seconds. In World Series Sevens it's half that - plus 70% of tries do not involve a ruck or maul and the ball is actively in play for over 50% of the time (compared to less than 30% for 15-a-side rugby).

If Sevens had professional teams then your comparison would be valid but at the moment it's like saying no one good enough to play golf professionally would stick at Pitch 'n' Putt - your comparator is a non-professional sport that offers zero opportunity to get paid for playing.

But thats my point regaing why it should not be in the Olympics.

We know the best of the best are not going to stick wth sevens so your left with guys who aren't up to playing 15 a side professionally playing sevens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

But thats my point regaing why it should not be in the Olympics.

We know the best of the best are not going to stick wth sevens so your left with guys who aren't up to playing 15 a side professionally playing sevens.

Again that's based on the faulty premise that Sevens doesn't have it's own sporting identity - it does. There are lots of sports that look similar but aren't - boxing (ain't no one going 12 rounds in the Olympics), cycling (BMX'ers completing a 250km road race? Road Racers competing in the velodrome? Track racers in the MTB race?) - are they watered down versions of the sports they grew out from?

And the Olympics aren't about who is best - it's about who has qualified and who wants to go. The golf won't be contested by the best.....the basketball will be missing LeBron James, Federer has opted out to allow him to rest and rehabilitate, then you have wr holders like Merritt who, on the basis of a single race, won't be there (he missed out by 1/100th of a second!).

People seem to think the Olympics are about the best sportspeople competing - they're not. Not all sports are Olympic sports, not all sports need the Olympics and not all sports are suited to the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

And, it's one of only two sports you win by going backwards! (the other is rowing) :D

Whoa there horsey. I have to PULL you on that one. Don't forget tug-o-war :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

So is the golf going to be fully shown on TV or are we just going to get snippets of it in highlights or what???

Who is the commentary going to come from??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

In all fairness though Jawgap, you speak a lot of sense. I don't know thought that it is worth the hassle. IMO, these people are narrow minded or trolling. I for one just hope as golfers, they never only play 9 holes and or when it came to football, I hope they never played indoor, 5-a-side, three and in, world cup, tennis football, kerbs..etc.etc...... :rolleyes: ;) and
    There are lots of sports that look similar but aren't - boxing (ain't no one going 12 rounds in the Olympics), cycling (BMX'ers completing a 250km road race? Road Racers competing in the velodrome? Track racers in the MTB race?) - are they watered down versions of the sports they grew out from?

I was actually going to post something like this. Nearly every sport has a watered down version of it. And sure the Olympics is full of it these days. Look at the wimps next week who will run 1500m, 5k, 10k etc. If they were real runners, they would just go out and do the marathon instead of having a little jog. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Seve OB wrote: »
    Whoa there horsey. I have to PULL you on that one. Don't forget tug-o-war :D

Nor the backstroke!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭abff

Now I'm confused. How do you win in rugby by going backwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

abff wrote: »
    Now I'm confused. How do you win in rugby by going backwards?

You can only pass the ball backwards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Early start for Harrington, fitting to have a Brazilian hitting first shot. Not sure what the "bib" stuff is all about.

CpV39f9W8AAnrEI.jpg:large

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Early start for Harrington, fitting to have a Brazilian hitting first shot. Not sure what the "bib" stuff is all about.

CpV39f9W8AAnrEI.jpg:large

The bib would be the colour bib the caddy wears so the players can be identified easily in each group by those watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭slingerz

Golf deserves to be in the Olympics as much as rugby 7s and table tennis. The approach of the top stars shows that it's about money for them at the end of the day.

Leading amateurs should be the types that compete in this competition in the Olympics so that it becomes a tournament of value to them

Anyone else think that all the withdrawls have ended up promoting the game more than would have without them. What I mean is Ive heard lots of people talking about the golf and Rory that would never mention it normally. Not sure if it will make them watch it mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Heard a report on the BBC and then read the article below and had completely forgotten how Tennis was in pretty much exactly the same place back in 1988 as golf is now, with multiple withdrawals and top players saying that Tennis didnt rank highly in their list of tournaments to win. A view most of them came to regret in later years.
    "Agassi, Connors and McEnroe “all said they were not interested in participating in the Olympics,” according to The New York Times. McEnroe later said he regretted not playing. Agassi later won gold at Atlanta 1996"

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2016/05/09/golf-skipping-rio-olympics-tennis/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

slingerz wrote: »
    Golf deserves to be in the Olympics as much as rugby 7s and table tennis. The approach of the top stars shows that it's about money for them at the end of the day.

Leading amateurs should be the types that compete in this competition in the Olympics so that it becomes a tournament of value to them

No it doesnt. Most of the top golfers have more money than they can spend. Those who are there are there because they retain some regard for the Olympics as a sporting event, or are very patriotic and wish to represent their country. Both valid motivations.
    But many would regard the Olympics, let alone golf in it, as a corrupt, drug addled, joke, and/or, have no time for nationalist flag waving and jingoism. So have stayed away.
    I would say the money is the last thing influencing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

No it doesnt. Most of the top golfers have more money than they can spend. Those who are there are there because they retain some regard for the Olympics as a sporting event, or are very patriotic and wish to represent their country. Both valid motivations.
    But many would regard the Olympics, let alone golf in it, as a corrupt, drug addled, joke, and/or, have no time for nationalist flag waving and jingoism. So have stayed away.

Not one golfer is choosing not to participate in the event for those reasons just because your keep saying it doesn't mean it is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

You'd find if the first prize was 2,000,000 euro these so called regards would disappear very quick - along with the other red herring Zika.

I'd also like to add that sport changes - what is popular changes.

This idea that Golf doesn't need the Olympics or the Olympics will never mean anything is daft. Tell that to this man - as was mentioned above the same arguments were made about Tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

You'd find if the first prize was 2,000,000 euro these so called regards would disappear very quick - along with the other red herring Zika.

I'd also like to add that sport changes - what is popular changes.

This idea that Golf doesn't need the Olympics or the Olympics will never mean anything is daft. Tell that to this man - as was mentioned above the same arguments were made about Tennis.

Fix you're a gas man, Zika is real and is now also in the USA, while it fits the agenda of the begrudgers and haters, it's a real issue and a legitimate get out clause.
    Regarding golf and what is popular, the youngest of the four golfing majors is roughly 70 years old, over those intervening years there have been numerous attempts to introduce a "fifth" major and they have all failed miserably.
    Golf is an established sport word wide and while the amateur side of it has stagnated over the last 20 odd years the pro game is flourishing, the problem IMO isn't at professional level but amateur level. Introducing another event for the pros every 4 years will do little to encourage new participation, on the other hand an amateur event that could grow into been the pinnacle of amateur golf could and would IMO.
    An opportunity missed but hardly surprising given the RANDA have already sold the soul of the game by moving the Open to pay per view.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So is there any golf from Rio on TV?

vienne86 wrote: »
    So is there any golf from Rio on TV?

Haven't a clue and the way thing have gone we could be very disappointed with coverage ?

Got a sense during the week what it must be like for say big fans/ family members of sailing / swimming / rowing - not actaully getting to see their event at all.

I know RTE were criticised, but the whole Olympics are a nightmare to cover and what you get to show is not fully in your control.

I'd imagine they will show final round live ?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

The've live Tv coverage on the bbc starting at 11.20 for each round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Haven't a clue and the way thing have gone we could be very disappointed with coverage ?

Got a sense during the week what it must be like for say big fans/ family members of sailing / swimming / rowing - not actaully getting to see their event at all.

I know RTE were criticised, but the whole Olympics are a nightmare to cover and what you get to show is not fully in your control.

I'd imagine they will show final round live ?

I hope we get the final round live. Meanwhile we'll have to make do with live scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Tockman wrote: »

As of now it seems like BBC Olympic 7 (through Sky) has it. That could change though so don't blame the messenger please.

I wonder do they have Peter and Ken down there?

Tockman wrote: »

BBC what ?

Red

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Live on rte.ie, no commentary though

http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/live/

martinkop wrote: »
    Live on rte.ie, no commentary though

http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/live/

Great stuff - but a very strange experience with no sound.

Do my own commentary. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭abff

As of now it seems like BBC Olympic 7 (through Sky) has it. That could change though so don't blame the messenger please.

I wonder do they have Peter and Ken down there?

I have Sky, but can't find BBC Olympic 7 or any live Olymipcs coverage. Do I need to tune it in under Other Channels and, if so, what are the settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Great stuff - but a very strange experience with no sound.

Do my own commentary. :P

You might find a career in it!!! Someone has to replace Peter Alliss!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

abff wrote: »
    I have Sky, but can't find BBC Olympic 7 or any live Olymipcs coverage. Do I need to tune it in under Other Channels and, if so, what are the settings?

Yeah you have to tune it in through "Other channels"

List of them here:

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/reception/pdfs/satellitefrequencies.pdf

Not the regular commentators anyway so far :(

Watching it is hilarious.

It is obvious it is just a feed from a non golfing crowd.

With just background sound it is exactly like a computer game.

We need to power up Paddy and Seamus's putting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Its on rte news now with commentary. Sky Channel 578

Advertisement