Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf at the Olympics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Jawgap wrote:
    No, I'm just saying not all coverage is equal. I wouldn't regard 4 hours on RTE News Now as having much potential when it comes to 'spreading the Gosel' when compared to 30 minutes in mid-evening on one of the main channels.

Each TV station in each TV market choses what it wants to show, depending on the level of interest in that sport or who is competing.

RTE catered for golf fans and an Irish audience by showing virtually the entire rounds of the two Irish golfers, along with groups featuring big name players from GBR, US Spain, Germany and others. TV channels in other countries will have shown the sports of interest to their audiences.

It isn't about spreading the gospel for golf or any other sport. Its about catering for the viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

First Up wrote: »
    Each TV station in each TV market choses what it wants to show, depending on the level of interest in that sport or who is competing.

RTE catered for golf fans and an Irish audience by showing virtually the entire rounds of the two Irish golfers, along with groups featuring big name players from GBR, US Spain, Germany and others. TV channels in other countries will have shown the sports of interest to their audiences.

It isn't about spreading the gospel for golf or any other sport. Its about catering for the viewers.

Ok....

.....i just thought one of the reasons golf was there in the first place was to 'grow the game' - if it's just about catering for a viewership a Tour event would probably have sufficed.
    Being a part of the Olympic Movement is key to growing the game of golf worldwide, the President of the International Golf Federation (IGF) Peter Dawson said here as he announced the men’s draw for the first Olympic golf tournament to be held in 112 years.

Jawgap wrote:
    .....i just thought one of the reasons golf was there in the first place was to 'grow the game' - if it's just about catering for a viewership a Tour event would probably have sufficed.

As I said, what is shown in each country is at the discretion of the host broadcasters. RTE is catering for its golf audience by showing it live (its on now).

What they do elsewhere is their own business but I doubt many broadcasters will pass up on events of interest to their audience in order to help grow the game of golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

This is turning into a bit of a shoot out. (low scoring)

Sadly not sure that is going to be good for Padraig.

Power under par - we need to get to 2 or 3 under on front 9.

• Advertisement

Any of the leaderboard working? I can see overall scores but no shot tracker or hole by hole score...

Also anyone who didnt know rte news was showing sports for ALL the olympics obviously hasnt much interest anyone who has been following the games has known.

Power 2 under after 7.

In top 10.

Paddy in trouble and not moving.

Power great stuff back to back and -4.

Paddy in trouble and not moving.

Power great stuff back to back and -4.

Where are you getting ur scores from today?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭liamoreilly

Where are you getting ur scores from today?

http://www.igfgolf.org/olympic-games/scores/
    ...This seems to be accurate enough...

• Advertisement

Power chips in for eagle on the 16th to go 5 under

Golf on Rte News and watching the live streaming (no commentary) on the rte website most golf Ive ever seen and its great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Anyone think there should be a different format for golf in the Olympics? It's just too long... 4 full rounds with a full field for each day. There are too many other events on to sit down and watch the golf properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I think it has to be strokeplay to produce the most worthy winner, any other format just brings too much unpredictability & would give it the air of an exhibition, which the detractors would jump on. (The Ryder Cup being a special case). I'm enjoying it anyway although there should be a cut.

I think it has to be strokeplay to produce the most worthy winner, any other format just brings too much unpredictability & would give it the air of an exhibition, which the detractors would jump on. (The Ryder Cup being a special case). I'm enjoying it anyway although there should be a cut.

I'd prefer straight knockout matchplay like tennis ir boxung but the whole thing is more an exhibition than a contest. Let the minor countries have their bit of glory and share of their local TV coverage. Somebody will win on Sunday.

I'd prefer straight knockout matchplay like tennis ir boxung but the whole thing is more an exhibition than a contest. Let the minor countries have their bit of glory and share of their local TV coverage. Somebody will win on Sunday.

IOC knocked back the idea of a straight match play as they said it would mean half the countries who qualified going out after round #1.

Jawgap wrote:
    IOC knocked back the idea of a straight match play as they said it would mean half the countries who qualified going out after round #1.

Understandably. They are more interested in ratings than in a robust contest. Its highly unlikely someone from a non golfing country will win but they want to keep the audience as large as possible - if only for novelty reasons.

I'm watching it because it is more interesting than what else is on but I'm not confusing it with a serious golf tournament.

Yeah, I've been watching it really just to watch it!!

It's been ok as far as I can see - but Rose's ace aside, not much so far to make it memorable.

Delighted for Power, though, good exposure for him.

If Stenson wins this he will be referred to as Olympic champion rather than Open champion in most of the countries he goes to. It's a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,906 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Some accent on seamus power!

How long has he been in America?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

If Stenson wins this he will be referred to as Olympic champion rather than Open champion in most of the countries he goes to. It's a big deal.

He mostly goes to countries where the difference will be understood and appreciated but adding Olympic to Open won't hurt.

Tyson Fury wrote:
    How long has he been in America?

A fair few years. I've heard worse.

Power will get more out of it than Harrington. Power can benefit from the exposure and WR points ahead if his PGA Tour debut. I think its a bit of craic for PH.

I think its a bit of craic for PH.
    You're joking, P would drown his granny to get that gold :D

You're joking, P would drown his granny to get that gold

Oh, he would love it but he will find plenty of ways to rationalise his participation, even if he finishes a mile back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

HighLine wrote: »
    Anyone think there should be a different format for golf in the Olympics? It's just too long... 4 full rounds with a full field for each day. There are too many other events on to sit down and watch the golf properly.

there is only half a field playing each day. actually less than half a usual field of a pga tour event.

so why couldn't have a straight foursomes produced a worthy winner?

they could have played any number of loads of different games each day to shake it up and do something different.

IMO, a separate comp each day, earn ranking points similar to fed ex cup & rtd, and maybe a matchplay shoot out to get medal positions

an idea.....team event, 2 players per country
    day 1 morning 9 holes - four ball betterball
    day 1 afternoon 9 holes - singles - best 9 hole score of the 2 team mates to count?
    day 2 morning 9 holes, scotch foresomes
    day 2 afternoon 9 holes, singles, combined the scores
    day 3, top 8 teams qualify, matchplay, straight foursomes
    9 holes quarters, 9 holes semis & 18 holes final......

no reason why they couldn't have a singles comp also, and a mixed comp. none of them have to be 72 holes. no reason why they couldn't have 18 or 36 hole comps, 54 or even 27!! 2 men & 2 women team comp, best male & best lady score per hole.. count back to decide if tied, & shoot out if still tied...

so many different options and we are given the same as we get every week

also agree..a highlights reel would be much more attractive to the lay viewer,
    this is actually good read

Oh, he would love it but he will find plenty of ways to rationalise his participation, even if he finishes a mile back.

He seems to be working towards a post-playing career in golf administration - given his involvement with the R&A I'd bet real money he sees himself as the top blazer there at some point in the next 10/15 years ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Is it only individual medals? Ireland would be doing very well if it was team too.

Mushy wrote: »
    Is it only individual medals? Ireland would be doing very well if it was team too.

yes.

Ireland having a great day - and medals are on again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Is there not a team medal for the combined score of the two best from each country ? I saw that somewhere.

Advertisement