Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf at the Olympics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Nice little Brazilian booty shake there by JR :) he must have been out dancing over in Rio....

Is there not a team medal for the combined score of the two best from each country ? I saw that somewhere.

You must have been talking to Matt Kuchar :p

Nope no team event

• Registered Users Posts: 21,148 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Seamus tearing it up. 5 under today thru 8. -6 overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,148 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Up to 7 under now. Putting a bit of pressure on for a bronze.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Any legal live streams of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

ronnie3585 wrote:

It has been on RTE News Now all day. They have gone to horses now but BBC4 showing it live.

ronnie3585 wrote: »

On the rte website also no sound...

https://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Seamie in the bronze medal position right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Bbc red button too. That's how I'm watching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Where's Paddy? no mention of his scoring today?

• Advertisement

Howjoe1 wrote:
    Where's Paddy? no mention of his scoring today?

Even today. Still at -5

Great PAr save by Seamus. Currently 4th though.

First Up wrote: »
    Even today. Still at -5

Thanks, not without a chance then.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Buttros

Harrington's level thru five for today.i follow McGinley on Twitter. He's good for the updates. Reckons power needs to post 10 under to have a chance at a medal

Buttros wrote: »
    Harrington's level thru five for today.i follow McGinley on Twitter. He's good for the updates. Reckons power needs to post 10 under to have a chance at a medal

Half the field seem to be -7...that could be a long playoff

-9 needed at least I reckon

Howjoe1 wrote:
    -9 needed at least I reckon

Yeah, he's a long shot for a medal but the WR points will be very handy if he can keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭abff

Watching the 17th. Pretty exciting stuff, even though I'm bitterly disappointed that things didn't go well for Padraig today. Looks like they are about to go down the 18th all square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

abff wrote: »
    Pretty exciting stuff, even though I'm bitterly disappointed that things didn't go well for Padraig today.

McGinley has to carry the can for this failure. Between not getting a top flight team out there, and being unable to make anything of what he did have, he has questions to answer to Irish golf fans, and dont think there can be any way he be let near the job next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

What the **** is wrong with those spectators picking up the golf balls? Another one just picked up Fraser's ball on the last hole.

McGinley has to carry the can for this failure. Between not getting a top flight team out there, and being unable to make anything of what he did have, he has questions to answer to Irish golf fans, and dont think there can be any way he be let near the job next time.

Was there some controversy over selection?

Given his role in both winning a Ryder Cup in '02 and subsequently captaining a Ryder Cup winning team, he must have been one of the most qualified team leaders in Rio. That's not to say he did a good job...just can't really think of anyone who would have obviously done better...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

You're clutching st straws to get a reaction. It won't work, but I'm sure you'll try again during the Ryde cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Was it just me or was the pace of play excruciatingly slow for the last few holes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Was it just me or was the pace of play excruciatingly slow for the last few holes?

Stenton paced out a couple of wedges which didn't help

Very dramatic though, pretty happy for Rose

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Great last day, the lads lost a bit of ground but the course was great to look at, well done to Matt as well, unexpected medal

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Will you cop on and stop trolling

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

We got the reports, mods will deal with it, no need to argue on-thread. Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Don't post again in this thread again as you're not adding anything. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Have to say - for all the problems.

The lack of imagination with format.
    The drop outs.
    The strange expensive decision to build a course for it, for the event only - with ugly skyscrapers in the background - Ok it was in Rio , I sort of get it. Maybe a legacy concept ?
    The sometimes terrible coverage.

The event was a remarkable success.

The finish at 16/17/18 was genuinely nervous for the two lads - just playing for a bit of national pride and a piece of an element for the top two.

Fantastic performance by Power and I think Paddy didn't have a great week but was still in the mix.

I'd love if it could stay in the Olympics with a new format.

But sadly it looks like golf at the Olympics in the future could be a failure because of the people inside golf who didn't and don't support it.

I'm watching the games - and with a bit of imagination with filling venues more - it is every bit as good as the great game like London - Sydney - Barcelona.

I think the failure of the golfing community to grab this opportunity - sums up the problems golf has going forward.

So fair play the golfers that got it and the idea. You need people with a bit of vision, not overly worried about money / excuses and self interest.

I congratulate the lads that did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

It was certainly an enjoyable finish, th elast 3 holes of driveable par 4, short par 3 and par 5 finish was great and left it in a way that anything could happen!
    I suspect the guys that didnt play are a little sorry, the only bad thing was the hilariously bad commentary, so maybe were a bit hard on Sky at times, when you hear that garbage from the olympics it makes you realise how good Sky really are!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I honestly thought that the gold was going to be a dull affair - even after the scoring on day 1 I thought it was going to be birdy-fest with some ridiculous score of 20 under winning.

I'm happy to admit I was wrong - I thought it built very nicely to an enjoyable and dramatic conclusion, as good as you'd see anywhere. And for all the withdrawals, the three medal winners certainly seem to have enjoyed it and valued the win!

I agree that the commentary was lacklustre - maybe they'd should've sub-contracted the gig to the Golf Channel or even Sky!

Also, how many times do people have to be told to put the phones away!!! Honestly, there should be a point where a caddy can take a 7-iron pick someone as an example and smash their phone into one of the lakes!

Finally, the spectator picking up Rose's ball was pretty funny......

Advertisement