Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf at the Olympics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Was it just me or was the pace of play excruciatingly slow for the last few holes?

Stenson was using a poker chip marker I think;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Jawgap wrote: »
    Also, how many times do people have to be told to put the phones away!!! Honestly, there should be a point where a caddy can take a 7-iron pick someone as an example and smash their phone into one of the lakes!

there definitely needed to be a higher level of policing of this, I think Rose had to stop his prep/swing at least 4 times on the back nine.
    I know it's an inherent risk when you put it in a multi-sport event that you'll get a good few non-golfies who aren't used to the rules/etiquette, but that could have been easily avoided with signs stating that phones/cameras can be confiscated.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

It was certainly an enjoyable finish, th elast 3 holes of driveable par 4, short par 3 and par 5 finish was great and left it in a way that anything could happen!
    I suspect the guys that didnt play are a little sorry, the only bad thing was the hilariously bad commentary, so maybe were a bit hard on Sky at times, when you hear that garbage from the olympics it makes you realise how good Sky really are!

Ah now, steady on there gorfield. Just because this commentary was bad doesnt make the alternative good ;)

That final Sunday was brilliant. Kuchar really added something to the mix that at least made the top 2 aware of themselves. Rose played great and that 3rd shot to close it out was clutch

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Rikand wrote: »
    Ah now, steady on there gorfield. Just because this commentary was bad doesnt make the alternative good ;)

That final Sunday was brilliant. Kuchar really added something to the mix that at least made the top 2 aware of themselves. Rose played great and that 3rd shot to close it out was clutch

I probably should have said apart from Roe Sky are not that bad..... Beemer and Nick Dougherty have breathed life back into it imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Anybody know if the caddies get anything?

I know the player hits the ball and makes the shots but golf is a bit unique in the role caddies play in the sense of being part bagman, part coach, part sports psychologist and part on-course manager.

i was just reading an article about Rose's caddy (Mark Fulcher) and how he went and spent time talking to the Olympic golf course architect to get some insight on how the course might play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Jawgap wrote:

That would be between the player and caddy. No prize fund for anyone. Some brought friends/family to do it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Would be bad form if they didn't get something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Would be bad form if they didn't get something.

the get nothing for the ryder cup!

there should have been caddy medals though IMO. I know every game has its back room staff that don't normally get medals etc, but these guys are front line and involved in every single shot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Seve OB wrote: »
    the get nothing for the ryder cup!

there should have been caddy medals though IMO. I know every game has its back room staff that don't normally get medals etc, but these guys are front line and involved in every single shot.

That's exactly what I was thinking!

First Up wrote: »
    That would be between the player and caddy. No prize fund for anyone. Some brought friends/family to do it.

I was more wondering if they got a medal, memento or some other token to recognise their participation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Jawgap wrote:
    I was more wondering if they got a medal, memento or some other token to recognise their participation.

Don't know. It would be a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

I don't think they should. They're not competitors. Coaches in boxing wipe blood, spit and sweat off their fighters, study opponents for hours to develop a strategy and they don't get medals.
    If they want a nice memento, maybe the medal winners will give them that crappy bit of plastic tat they all get at the medal ceremony.

martinkop wrote: »
    I don't think they should. They're not competitors. Coaches in boxing wipe blood, spit and sweat off their fighters, study opponents for hours to develop a strategy and they don't get medals.
    If they want a nice memento, maybe the medal winners will give them that crappy bit of plastic tat they all get at the medal ceremony.

That's true, but they're more than coaches - boxers don't turn around mid-bout and have a discussion on whether to throw a right cross or an uppercut, just like coaches don't come on to the pitch to discuss with a free taker where to place a football and how to kick it.

I'd argue caddies are 'in the game' - not on the sidelines as passive observers who use breaks in play to pass instructions, wipe blood, treat injuries etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

That's true, but they're more than coaches - boxers don't turn around mid-bout and have a discussion on whether to throw a right cross or an uppercut, just like coaches don't come on to the pitch to discuss with a free taker where to place a football and how to kick it.

I'd argue caddies are 'in the game' - not on the sidelines as passive observers who use breaks in play to pass instructions, wipe blood, treat injuries etc.

and coaches in football always get medals also

• Registered Users Posts: 21,148 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I know the player hits the ball and makes the shots but golf is a bit unique in the role caddies play in the sense of being part bagman, part coach, part sports psychologist and part on-course manager.

i was just reading an article about Rose's caddy (Mark Fulcher) and how he went and spent time talking to the Olympic golf course architect to get some insight on how the course might play.

There are plenty of coaches / managers / psychologists that are actively involved during competition in Olympic sports. Boxing, diving, tennis, badminton, gymnastics to name a few. Every athlete will have a team behind them doing research and preparation. Caddies get closer than most but the idea that they would get a medal is a mad one imo.
    I don't think I've ever heard it suggested that they should get credited with a Major.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭valoren

Every participant get's a token medal.

e.g.
    http://olympic-museum.de/pmedals/olympic-games-participation-medals-2012.htm

Not sure if the caddies get them though. Surely the players would give it to them if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭valoren

PARlance wrote: »
    There are plenty of coaches / managers / psychologists that are actively involved during competition in Olympic sports. Boxing, diving, tennis, badminton, gymnastics to name a few. Every athlete will have a team behind them doing research and preparation. Caddies get closer than most but the idea that they would get a medal is a mad one imo.
    I don't think I've ever heard it suggested that they should get credited with a Major.

How Many does Steve Williams have again? :D

PARlance wrote: »

I'm not suggesting they get the credit for anything - only that their somewhat unique position might be worthy of official recognition.

Put it this way, if somehow I managed to sneak on to the British pursuit cycling team I'd have won a medal despite being a lardy arsed, no talent cyclist because the timing for the team comes from the third placed rider, not the freeloader sucking wheels at the back :D So there is some precedent for on course 'appendages' getting their hands on something they've maybe only made a partial contribution to winning......it's just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭abff

I'm not suggesting they get the credit for anything - only that their somewhat unique position might be worthy of official recognition.

Put it this way, if somehow I managed to sneak on to the British pursuit cycling team I'd have won a medal despite being a lardy arsed, no talent cyclist because the timing for the team comes from the third placed rider, not the freeloader sucking wheels at the back :D So there is some precedent for on course 'appendages' getting their hands on something they've maybe only made a partial contribution to winning......it's just a thought.

Not really comparable. The fourth member of a pursuit cycling team will have contributed to the pacemaking of the team.

What about coxsains if those people sitting at the front of the boat shouting at the rowers get a medal surely a caddie should :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

I may be wrong but I think there is a squad so there can be 5 (maybe 6) in that squad but only 4 can race and those 4 that medal in a final are the only ones entitled to a medal. It's certainly that way in athletics. The guys who race in heats can be different to the guys who run the final because of injury or team selection and again only the guys who race in the final are entitled to the medals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Leona Maguire at +3 and Stephanie Meadow at +6 unfortunately. Ciganda leads at -6.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

-6 so far in Leona's round today. -3 overall, four shots off lead!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭abff

Great round by both Irish golfers today - 6 under for Leona Maguire and 5 under for Stephanie Meadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Leona paired with Lydia Ko & Lexi Thomson for tomorrow, should be a great experience

• Registered Users Posts: 38,122 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Leona currently -5 after 11 holes today. Lydia Ko on fire, -6 after 11 holes today for -9 total. Inbee Park two shots clear at the front on -12.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Course seems to be playing a bit tougher for the players today, the wind looks fairly beefy. Par 4 7th isn't even reachable in 2 for most of the field. Any round under par here would be a good score for Maguire, currently -1 for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Inbee Park wins with an amazing 15 under - she makes putting look like a doddle.

Leona did well to come 21st - did I hear she was one of only 3 amateurs in the event?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Inbee Park wins with an amazing 15 under - she makes putting look like a doddle.

Leona did well to come 21st - did I hear she was one of only 3 amateurs in the event?

Cream rose to the top today. Lydia Ko might have challenged but couldn't buy a putt and Park just cruised to victory. Good tournament for Maguire, can't wait for her to turn pro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

serious question....

i'm not a golf person...but having watched the women's golf over the past few days...is there any reason why women can't compete against men in the sport?

obviously they'd be physically weaker when it comes to teeing off, but apart from that physical strength doesn't come into it...so????

Advertisement