Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf at the Olympics

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

fryup wrote: »
    serious question....

i'm not a golf person...but having watched the women's golf over the past few days...is there any reason why women can't compete against men in the sport?

obviously they'd be physically weaker when it comes to teeing off, but apart from that physical strength doesn't come into it...so????

I like women's golf. It's developing and getting more competitive. But the world's two best players - Lydia Ko and Inbee Park - have average driving distances of 250 yards which would be 20-30 yards short of the shortest guys on the PGA Tour (60-70 of the longest). So they're at a serious disadvantage right from the start.

And while Ko and Park have great short games, the fact is the men have superior short games too, in most cases significantly so. They control the ball better, their strength and power is an advantage in deep rough and they will generally handle rougher weather conditions better. I'm not sure there is any physiological reason why this should be so, but if you watch golf regularly it will become obvious that it is the case.

Women have played men's tour events in the past - Annika Sorenstam and Michelle Wie are two that come to mind. But neither made the cut in those events iirc. If Ko or Park had the power to go with their touch, it's possible they might make a go of it. But you have to be realistic too. Shorter hitters can still do well in golf, but they're increasingly making courses longer and putting an even bigger premium on power. It's entirely possible a female golfer could emerge with the right balance of long and short game to contend with the males, but it'll never become a common trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

fryup wrote: »
    serious question....

i'm not a golf person...but having watched the women's golf over the past few days...is there any reason why women can't compete against men in the sport?

obviously they'd be physically weaker when it comes to teeing off, but apart from that physical strength doesn't come into it...so????

You have to allow for the fact that the men's course measures just over 6500m, the ladies, just over 5900m, so strength is a fairly defining factor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I've been in Rio for 2 weeks now and I have not seen a single mosquito since I have arrived. I'm afraid to say you have all been taken for a ride by McIlroy and Lowry. Hook line and sinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I've been in Rio for 2 weeks now and I have not seen a single mosquito since I have arrived. I'm afraid to say you have all been taken for a ride by McIlroy and Lowry. Hook line and sinker.

Breaking news folks, there is no such thing as Zika, thanks for clearing that up Chivito550 (y)(y)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Chivito550 wrote:

Pray tell how we were "taken for a ride" by McIlroy and Lowry (or Speith, Schwartzel, Day or anyone else who opted out.)?

They decided not to go for whatever reason (scheduling mostly.) Zika was a handy enough excuse - we all knew that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Ahh lads, don't feed the troll!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Going by that timeline....any sign of them letting you come home Pat?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

First Up wrote: »
    Chivito550 wrote:

Pray tell how we were "taken for a ride" by McIlroy and Lowry (or Speith, Schwartzel, Day or anyone else who opted out.)?

They decided not to go for whatever reason (scheduling mostly.) Zika was a handy enough excuse - we all knew that.

Plenty were buying the excuse here, talking about them needing to look after their health first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Plenty were buying the excuse here, talking about them needing to look after their health first and foremost.

Not "all" were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭Trampas

DJ has come out and said he won’t be playing in Olympics this year. Travel as part of the reason as British open a few weeks before and wgc week after it. Is this the start of it again like Rio?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,089 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Trampas wrote:
    DJ has come out and said he won’t be playing in Olympics this year. Travel as part of the reason as British open a few weeks before and wgc week after it. Is this the start of it again like Rio?
    Golf has four majors every year. The tournament they call the fifth major is on this week. You've got the WGC events, the invitationals and the Fed Ex Cup and race to Dubai and I'd imagine winning any of them would be more appealing than winning an Olympic games tournament for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Russman

eagle eye wrote: »
    Golf has four majors every year. The tournament they call the fifth major is on this week. You've got the WGC events, the invitationals and the Fed Ex Cup and race to Dubai and I'd imagine winning any of them would be more appealing than winning an Olympic games tournament for most.

Exactly. Golf shouldn’t be next nor near the Olympics unless it’s for the amateurs. An Olympic medal will never be as prestigious as a Major, WGC or The Players.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

A friend of mine is involved with swimming. His definition of what sports should be included in the olympics is perfect. If the olympic medal is the number 1 prize in your sport, then the pros should be in the olympics (this would be the vast vast majority). If it is not (e.g. Soccer, golf, rugby) then it should be amateur only.

Advertisement