Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golf at the Olympics

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

maximum12 wrote: »
    Second shot in some sort of scrub/rough but doesn't look too bad. Should be able to get on in 3. (Par 5)

I think the ball ended up just short of the scrub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

abff wrote: »
    I think the ball ended up just short of the scrub.

Looks in it but on sand .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Looks in it but on sand .

Not classified as a bunker according to BBC.

Edit: Bogey on the first for Paddy. ****e

Ouch! Starts with a 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Any tracker/live scoring available?

Edit : Found it

http://www.igfgolf.org/olympic-games/scores/

abff wrote: »
    Ouch!

That was a terrible 6.

Easy hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭paintitblack

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    Any tracker/live scoring available?

https://www.rio2016.com/en/golf-mens-round-1

Live scores under results here

Edit:REBELSAFC's link is better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

394089.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Is shot tracker reliable for distances on putts? Last couple of tournaments Harrington is missing a rake of 3 footers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Prediction - Watch Bubba take the widest stance possible so he gets free relief from his foot being on the drain cover. He will then get to drop the ball onto the fairway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

HighLine wrote: »
    Prediction - Watch Bubba take the widest stance possible so he gets free relief from his foot being on the drain cover. He will then get to drop the ball onto the fairway.

ha ha, correct!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Yep- camera didn't show it but managed to get the free relief. Shows how golf rules can help you out sometimes too.

Paddy -1 at the turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭paintitblack

maximum12 wrote: »
    Paddy -1 at the turn.

2 under now after 10. Good recovery after a bad opening bogey.

2 under now after 10. Good recovery after a bad opening bogey.

Yeah great putt from off the green.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Good job there's not a lot of spectators, every second player is hitting their tee shot into the roped off gallery area on the first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Rickie fowler having a mare. 4 over thru 11.
    Bubba finished at 2 over and reed is 2 over through 13.
    That leaves kuchar at 2 under to head the American charge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Nice piece of history for Rosie, an ace at the 4th.

Fair play to Power going out there and doing well.

Not easy to go out with so much additional attention.

• Advertisement

Is there a cut after 2 rounds or does everyone play a full 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Jawgap wrote: »
    Is there a cut after 2 rounds or does everyone play a full 4?

Full 4

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Have a few bob on David Lingmerth and Alex Cejka and a sentimental one on Padraig Harrington. Hard to see any of them making up the ground now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Will there be random drug testing of the golfers, or is it just of the medal winners does anyone know ?

Will there be random drug testing of the golfers, or is it just of the medal winners does anyone know ?

Amazing all the people coming out of the woodwork with a sudden interest in Golf at the Olympics. :p

I watched the BBC coverage today and they were saying that there will be 3 hole play offs to decide the gold and bronze medals. Not sure how to interpret this. If two people finish tied second, will they both get silver medals? What if 3 players are tied for 2nd - will two of them get silver or will they so silver, bronze, 4th? Lots of different possible scenarios in terms of playoffs. I couldn't find anything on the Olympics website that clarifies the position.

Has anyone found a comprehensive guide to how they decide the medals in the event of ties for any of the top 3 positions after 72 holes?

• Advertisement

If they come into Paddy's room for a drug test - he would first off confuse them so much that they would just give up. There is a fair chance he would miss the piss cup anyway.

And if they insisted more - he could just say

Sorry I don't have time for this, as - I am going off to practice my "nationalist flag waving and jingoism" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Can anyone tell me where I can see a leaderboard? Google isn't giving it to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,155 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/olympic-mens-golf-competition/leaderboard.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Sorry I don't have time for this, as - I am going off to practice my "nationalist flag waving and jingoism" :D

He has certainly worked harder at it than GMac, Rors, and Irish Beef !

• Advertisement

http://static.golfchannel.com/Olympics/2016/maintenance/site-maintenance.html?d=1

Amazing all the people coming out of the woodwork with a sudden interest in Golf at the Olympics. :p

I couldn't find it last night on d'telly so I watch the US Senior's Open.....

......if they wanted to 'grow' golf I reckon they should've either confined it to young amateurs......or just let Miguel play a few rounds with the camera on him :D

https://twitter.com/ChampionsTour/status/763797282806530048

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Jawgap wrote:
    I couldn't find it last night on d'telly so I watch the US Senior's Open.....

RTE News Now (578 on Sky) showed it all evening.

First Up wrote: »
    RTE News Now (578 on Sky) showed it all evening.

not exactly mainstream?

and that was in a country where golf is popular and we have a 'not unreasonable' prospect of a medal - I wonder what channels it was shown on in countries where they are trying to grow the game?

Jawgap wrote:
    not exactly mainstream?

Carried on every cable and satellite service. There's a lot more sports than TV channels to cover them. Golf is getting exeptionally good coverage.

Carried on every cable and satellite service. There's a lot more sports than TV channels to cover them. Golf is getting exeptionally good coverage.

In general or just relative to the other sports?

Jawgap wrote:
    In general or just relative to the other sports?

Do you know what "exceptional" means?

If they come into Paddy's room for a drug test - he would first off confuse them so much that they would just give up. There is a fair chance he would miss the piss cup anyway.

And if they insisted more - he could just say

A bit unnecessary and not particularly funny.

Do you know what "exceptional" means?

I do - and I was just wondering what 'exceptionally good' means in the context of the coverage.....

.....does it mean the golf is getting coverage comparable to a Major (I don't think they are, but I doubt anyone expected it to)

....does it mean the golf is getting coverage comparable to a US or European Tour event (probably - I assume it's being broadcast live given the time it takes place?) - is that 'exceptionally good' or is that just what would be expected?

....does it mean that, relative to other events, it's getting a disproportionate share of broadcast time? (maybe, I don't know that's why I asked)

....does it mean the coverage is qualitatively "exceptionally good"? (any new innovations in how it's been covered, reported on? mid-round interviews? different graphics, stats? different analysis? - again I don't know because I couldn't find the coverage last night, although I didn't think to look on RTE News Now, I'll certainly check it out this evening).

I do - and I was just wondering what 'exceptionally good' means in the context of the coverage.....

.....does it mean the golf is getting coverage comparable to a Major (I don't think they are, but I doubt anyone expected it to)

....does it mean the golf is getting coverage comparable to a US or European Tour event (probably - I assume it's being broadcast live given the time it takes place?) - is that 'exceptionally good' or is that just what would be expected?

....does it mean that, relative to other events, it's getting a disproportionate share of broadcast time? (maybe, I don't know that's why I asked)

....does it mean the coverage is qualitatively "exceptionally good"? (any new innovations in how it's been covered, reported on? mid-round interviews? different graphics, stats? different analysis? - again I don't know because I couldn't find the coverage last night, although I didn't think to look on RTE News Now, I'll certainly check it out this evening).

As we are talking about the coverage of events at the Olympics, I would have thought that is pretty obviously what it means.

• Advertisement

As we are talking about the coverage of events at the Olympics, I would have thought that is pretty obviously what it means.

Well it didn't to me, that's why I just asked for a bit of clarification.

anyway, what's the metric for saying the golf is getting 'exceptionally good' coverage relative to other sports?

I was flicking between RTE and BBC looking for it last night at just after 8-30pm and BBC had the canoeing (presumably because they had a medal contender going) and RTE had our dressage rider scoring a creditable 21st - shame they couldn't give coverage at that time to Harrington and especially Power.

Well it didn't to me, that's why I just asked for a bit of clarification.

anyway, what's the metric for saying the golf is getting 'exceptionally good' coverage relative to other sports?

I was flicking between RTE and BBC looking for it last night at just after 8-30pm and BBC had the canoeing (presumably because they had a medal contender going) and RTE had our dressage rider scoring a creditable 21st - shame they couldn't give coverage at that time to Harrington and especially Power.

4+ hours of continuous and uninterrupted coverage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Golf was well finished by 8.30pm, so that;s why it had no coverage then

4+ hours of continuous and uninterrupted coverage?

On RTE News Now?

I think I'd prefer 30 minutes of highlights in prime time - that might incline a few people to pick up or return to the game. I'd suggest that the coverage on RTE News Now (a channel I didn't even realise existed until you told me this morning :D) is for existing fans/players rather than potential ones.

I think this is a case of "never mind the quality, feel the width"

is there any live coverage this morning? Doesn't seem to be any on the rte website.

On RTE News Now?

I think I'd prefer 30 minutes of highlights in prime time - that might incline a few people to pick up or return to the game. I'd suggest that the coverage on RTE News Now (a channel I didn't even realise existed until you told me this morning :D) is for existing fans/players rather than potential ones.

I think this is a case of "never mind the quality, feel the width"

I see. It was too little coverage before; now its too much.

OK.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    is there any live coverage this morning? Doesn't seem to be any on the rte website.

Maybe because it hasn't started yet.

Maybe because it hasn't started yet.

cheers!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

He has certainly worked harder at it than GMac, Rors, and Irish Beef !

Sheep.

• Advertisement

I see. It was too little coverage before; now its too much.

OK.

No, I'm just saying not all coverage is equal. I wouldn't regard 4 hours on RTE News Now as having much potential when it comes to 'spreading the Gosel' when compared to 30 minutes in mid-evening on one of the main channels.

There again, Ireland is a mature market for golf so there's probably not as much scope for growing the game as there are in other markets.

My own view is that for the coverage to be regarded as 'exceptionally good' it should either be in prime time and/or contain innovations that draw people in - otherwise it's just the same ol' samel ol' coverage we get week in weekout. That's just my view......others may and probably do have a different take on it.

Advertisement